Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Daily Mail - Drug legalisation? We need it like a hole in the head

edgarshade

Bluelighter
By Melanie Phillips

Last updated at 12:13 PM on 18th November 2011

With reader comments

Baroness Manningham-Buller, the former head of MI5, is rapidly becoming a priceless guide to what to think. That is to say, whatever position she adopts is an excellent indication that the opposite view must be correct.

Now the Daily Telegraph reports that, along with her fellow members of the All Party Parliamentary Group on Drug Policy Reform, Lady M-B believes that the current war on drugs is not working and that it is time to consider decriminalising possession of small quantities of narcotics.

Groan. For the umpteenth time, there is no war on drugs in the UK. On the contrary, what there is instead is a refusal to enforce the law against drug use in a coherent, consistent, and effective manner.

'Drug decriminalisation in Portugal is a failure… There is a complete and absurd campaign of manipulation of facts and figures of Portuguese drug policy which Matthew Hill [BBC News] appears to have “bought”… ‘The article says that the number of newly reported cases of HIV and AIDS among drug addicts has declined substantially every year since 2000 (907) until 2008 (267), quoting a Portuguese Institute IDT´s official.‘As a matter of fact Portugal remains the country with the highest incidence of IDU-related AIDS and it is the only country recording a recent increase. 703 newly diagnosed infections, followed from a distance by Estonia with 191 and Latvia with 108 reported cases.

The campaign to undermine the UN drug laws is being promoted by some very bad people indeed and a large number of useful idiots. We need drug legalisation like... well, like a hole in the head.

More...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2063152/Drug-legalisation-We-need-like-hole-head.html

Reader comment...
The only hole needed is in Melanie Phillips' head.
- Peter Reynolds, Weymouth, UK, 18/11/2011 11:37

Sent comment.. It's now become my goal to comment on every bullshit tabloid story i hear.. without being so offensive it never makes the comment page (if i can help it)..

I call for more bluelights to help the cause. Post links to undeniable evidence for your point before posting.. Links to articles written by people at the top of their game.. If the thick cunts believe some whack job reporter with no evidence to support their claims over a doctor with many years of experience and knowledge in their field 1 more time i'm gonna lose it..

Recently come across these dudes: http://www.leap.cc/.. american i know.. but OMGOSH EVEN THE POLICE AGREE!.. that'll twist some of these nubins heads.. They've got a pretty good video on youtube "why the drug war has failed".. even goes on to say ligalisation is the best answer as decriminalisation still leaves the market in criminals hands.

I'm right with you on this one! I always comment in such articles too. One thing is for sure, even if it doesn't change the course of history over night, it's a great way to get really good at presenting the arguments in a convincing way. I get to see what works, what flunks, what makes prohibition-orientated folks tick, what winds them up, what makes them think etc. etc. the immediate aim is to change people's perception of drugs to something closer to science and fact.

snip
Reader comment...

The only hole needed is in Melanie Phillips' head.

- Peter Reynolds, Weymouth, UK, 18/11/2011 11:37

Had to be said. I've never read anything that woman has said that was neither reactionary or bollocks, and I've read the Daily Mail quite a bit for my sins (my parents buy it, I never would buy a copy myself though...)

and we already have holes in our heads...we have 2 ears, 2 nostrils and a mouth

Exactly what I was thinking!

Of course the war on drugs is working...so when exactly did it start and when exactly is the DEA supposed to win?

Never...because the war on drugs is a war on freedom but even so, people will always get high, no matter what. People get caught in places where the punishment is death. If people are willing to risk their lives to sell/use drugs, then obviously the gov's approach needs to be reexamined and heavily modified.

Here's another article on the same story with a hole in its head.

Yorkshire Post
Drug reform risk
http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/debate/our-view/drug_reform_risk_1_3981047
Not only are such changes very hard to reverse once they become legislation, but the argument could be applied to other issues, such as prostitution.
The future impacts of such drastic policy reforms can never be predicted. The estimated outcomes are educated guesswork at best. With the consequences for getting it wrong potentially so damaging, now is not the time for such risks.

I too try to add factual information to any article aiming to misinform. LEAP is a great organization, prmoting the facts about the failed war on drugs. The more the facts are presented to those being misinformed , the easier it will be to change the draconian laws for drugs. It is past time to bring about a sensible approach to drug interdiction, and focus on it as a health problem, rather than a criminal act. Keep spreading the truth, and eventually it will prevail over the lies. End the war on drugs/freedom&privacy !
<KZ>

More for the Daily Mail....

Spooks should be neither seen nor heard - least of all on the subject of drugs

By Michael Burleigh

Last updated at 12:44 PM on 18th November 2011

With reader comments

At least in these lectures Baroness Eliza was talking about areas we assume she knows about, as a former head of MI5's counter-terrorism operations.

Now she has said she wants us to think about legalising drugs. Of all the problems facing this country at present - economic chaos, family breakdown, youth unemployment, uncontrolled immigration - this would come very low down on most people's list.

The last thing we need are people stoned out of their minds laying around in the streets, alongside the drunks to be found in the gutters of any city or market town most nights of the week. Even the so-called soft drugs can and do result in psychotic breakdowns. The idea that legalising drugs would eradicate the criminality that goes with them is nonsense since the criminals would very quickly find a new drug with the frisson of illegality attached to the old.

More...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...n-heard--subject-drugs.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Of course drugs should be legalised. But for as long as people vote Tory and read the Daily Mail in such huge numbers we all know that will never happen. And we're even more ignorant in Ireland.

Can you imagine getting that stoned you decide to pass out in the gutter?

No, me neither.

@Logic thats what i been sayin if people want to get high they are going too we need to find better ways to deal with it and make it safer..look at all the people using the spice and balth salts..kids are plugging alcohol...im so sick of all the people who think alcohol is ok cuz the gov't says so and its worse than most drugs by far..i dont know where they got the idea to tell somebody what they can and cant put in their body as long as they dont steal from ppl or all the other things that are arrestable offense..i swear ppl seem as if they are brainwashed with DRUGS ARE BAD..they wont even listen to reason or actual research and clinical studies