• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Man released after 20 years as crack cocaine sentencing rules adjusted

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
Ward Price was given a life sentence before his life had really begun.

Price was 20 years old when he was ordered to prison for the rest of his life in February 1990 after being convicted in a federal crack cocaine case.

The former All-State wrestler from Webster High School asserted his innocence.

However, after a failed appeal, Price was looking at spending the rest of his days behind bars.

"I always trusted in God," Price said. "That led me and carried me through."

There was something else giving Price hope. Even back then, some were decrying the harsh sentences meted out in the federal system for crack cocaine offenses as unfair, Draconian and racially biased.

"I always felt like the crack law was going to get changed," Price said. "It's always been discussed. It was a question of time."

For Price, that time is now. This month, changes to the Fair Sentencing Act of 2010 go into effect, and an estimated 12,000 inmates could have their sentences reduced.

cont at
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/arti...rticleid=20111116_14_A1_CUTLIN524873&allcom=1

This kind of crap has to stop. Race has never been a fair parameter in sentencing, and is disgusting that it is going on in 3rd world countries. I hope he receives reparations if the sentence proved to be very unfair and disproportionate to the crime.

I actually wrote a paper in english and one of my three topics was this! We had to come up with 3 different instances of racism in America that exist today. I wrote about how coke vs. crack laws are so obviously unfair. My teacher actually agreed with me too which was pretty sweet.

Sigh. Another convict sticking to the "I didn't do it, no sir, not me, the POlice here all hate me!" schtick. He had a full scholarship but instead chose to peddle dope. That is the real crime here. Hope he does more with his life then he was doing with it prior to his last conviction.

(thump!)

He had a full scholarship but instead chose to peddle dope. That is the real crime here.

Even if he did what he was accused of doing, no crime was committed. His customers were willingly purchasing an item which they should legally be able to acquire.

^ I agree. It should not be a crime to alter one's consciousness, nor to sell chemicals to others who wish to do so.
The main unfairness I see here, other than putting a human in jail for 20 years for drugs, is your assumption of his guilt despite his protests and without knowing anything of the actual situation, rocketqueen.

And was your spelling of the word "police" meant to show emphasis on the first syllable, rocketqueen? If so, it seems disrespectful and possibly even racist to me.

I guess you can find racism anywhere you look, if you are so inclined/one of those types. We (my circle) all the "police" the "POlice" and the "po." Why is how one pronounces a word disrespectful and racist to you???? I appreciate your opinion, but I stand by my post.

@2353 I think drugs should be legalized. But since they are not, sell them at your own risk.

I guess you can find racism anywhere you look, if you are so inclined/one of those types. We (my circle) all the "police" the "POlice" and the "po." Why is how one pronounces a word disrespectful and racist to you???? I appreciate your opinion, but I stand by my post.

@2353 I think drugs should be legalized. But since they are not, sell them at your own risk.
True.. He knew the risk he was taking however life for selling drugs is bullshit I don't give a shit what your selling..its too long imo