Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

UK - Ex-MI5 boss to call for cannabis to be decriminalised

edgarshade

Bluelighter
BBC News

17 November 2011 Last updated at 12:40

With reader comments

Ex-MI5 chief Baroness Manningham-Buller is set to call for cannabis to be decriminalised in a speech. The crossbench peer believes that only by regulating the sale of cannabis can its psychotic effects be controlled. She is also expected to say the "war on drugs" has been "fruitless". Her speech to the all-party parliamentary drugs group is likely to single out politicians who "go quiet" when faced by "crude assertions" of the harm caused by changing drugs policy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15770842

Why is it always EX people. Why did she not say when she was MI5 Chief.
Could explain a lot ;)

Why is it always EX people. Why did she not say when she was MI5 Chief.
Could explain a lot ;)

You know what? Mark Easton at the BBC just asked the very same question :)

Why is it only 'formers' who want to talk about drugs?

With reader comments

Former head of MI5 Eliza Manningham-Buller today joins an increasingly long list of "formers" and "exes" who have publicly condemned the so-called "War on Drugs" as a "dead end".
But why didn't they say anything before? The answer, it seems, is that the towering walls of political orthodoxy made it impossible.

It would seem to be a weakness of our democracy (and political conviction) that we are denied a rational and candid examination of drugs policy because front-bench politicians are terrified of being labelled as "soft" or "liberal".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15771029

I wonder if members of the Liberal party are afraid of being labelled "liberal"....

i think they dont speak out on what they actually feel if they are againist the drug war, because the gov't is cashing their check and they have to provide for their famlies...gov't needs to get back to what it was founded on and that for the people

if any person in office spoke out against the war on drugs they would be scrutinized to no end and run the risk of of being tossed out one way or another. im willing to bet a lot of public officials in both US and UK think the drug war is a failure and needs to be revamped but they are simply scared to speak up.

Another take on the story

The Yorker
Saturday, 19th November 2011
Rosie Hazell
The reason for this silence is likely down to the influence of what is known as the ‘grey vote’. Politicians are absolutely terrified of old people. Why? Because the vote in huge numbers. At the last General Election, over 75% of people aged over 65 voted, whereas less than half of people aged 18-24 voted. Old people, by in large, do not support drug decriminalisation and in turn are (mostly) absolutely terrified by drugs. Any politician wanting to win an election has to make the elderly happy, so don’t expect to be able to smoke pot in front of a policeman any time soon.
http://www.theyorker.co.uk/news/politics/7921/1#CommentItem11867

but everything the believe about drugs probably is a lie...all america does is lie to their ppl and they dont care for the most part..its the younger generation who want change and not in just the drug laws..america is so corrupt its insane..i want the shit cleaned out, how can ppl support the gov't when they openly come out and say their bought out at every level...so if i had enough money i could sway laws that is bullshit and not what this country was founded on