• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Dail Mail - Instant ban on 'legal highs' while scientists categorise danger drugs

edgarshade

Bluelighter
By Jack Doyle

Last updated at 9:19 PM on 15th November 2011

With reader comments

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...highs-scientists-categorise-danger-drugs.html

Danger drugs that give a legal high can be outlawed without delay under rules introduced yesterday. It had previously taken months to ban new substances – allowing drug dealers to stay a step ahead of police. Now ministers will impose a year’s ban immediately while scientists assess which category a new drug belongs to. Delays in banning mephedrone have been linked to a staggering 98 deaths on the dance scene over the past two years. Last year 41 new and dangerous substances were identified by watchdogs – many of which fell outside existing drugs laws. Drug experts liken taking so-called legal highs to Russian roulette because users have little idea what they are being exposed to. Home Office minister Lord Henley said: ‘The UK is leading the way in cracking down on legal highs by outlawing not just individual drugs, but whole families of related substances that have the potential to cause harm.

‘The temporary control power will allow government to respond quickly and effectively to the changing threat posed by drugs and in particular the menace of so-called legal highs.’

Wolfgang Gotz, of the European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction, said the drugs market was very quick to adapt. ‘This is reflected, not only in the sheer number of new substances appearing on the market, but also in their diversity and in how they are produced, distributed and marketed,’ he added.‘ We need a proactive strategy that allows us to rapidly identify new drugs and emerging trends so we can anticipate their potential implications. ‘We also need to co-ordinate our responses across Europe as, without doing so, individual national efforts are likely to prove ineffective. These two factors are crucial if we are to stay ahead in this game of cat and mouse.’

The agency said that the UK – for the second year running – was the cocaine capital of Europe. One in 20 Britons is estimated to take it.

I'm surprised that the DM is the only paper reporting this so far. So it's goodbye to x-APB, MXE, AMT etc, etc.... Oh well, it was good while it lasted.

We've had this in the US for a long time, "emergency scheduling". They still have to state what they intend to schedule which hasn't been done so things are as they always are for now. Chances are they won't add everything to the block because they can't even keep up with what there is to add. That's what happens here at least. Only difference you'll notice is when the government starts talking about making something illegal it will happen right away with a few months notice.

This is very, very sad. I will seriously miss AMT and MXE. I better stock up very soon.

Wont matter if there is enough demand for the drug then a black market will develop mephedrone is a good example of this.

Wont matter if there is enough demand for the drug then a black market will develop mephedrone is a good example of this.

For the end user it certainly matters. It turns users into criminals, as well as the price going up while the quality drops.

There will be a black market for aMT and MXE - I'd bet my pension on it (not that its worth a great deal)...

What exactly is happening with this? I've been reading between the lines and think MDAI might be the next to go, which surprises me. Something a vendor said has made me wonder...

I really, really want to know what the verdict is on Mitragyna. Are they including that? Does anyone know? There is word going around (of reputable source) that it is going to be criminalised in the UK very soon. I really want to know what the crack is with that/

Mitragyna Speciosa. Rather not say the common Western name for the herb, but google that.

And why ban it? There's no media hysteria campaign about it? Is it just being banned on a whim like the whole contents of the Pikal book were? It's about time this ACMD started accounting for their strange behaviour.

You can thank New Labour for that little faux-pas (virtually banning the entire contents of PIHKAL and TIHKAL), as well as the current destruction of our economy, though the Conservatives still aren't doing the right things to fix it (but in typical Chris style, I digress...)

Is this ban for all research chems like the spices or is it just for the bath salts?? im confused

It will be whatever they see fit, so smokables, research chemicals and probably organic stuff like Fly-Agaric mushrooms. In fact everything except Alcohol and Tobacco.

This is so sad, though educating people is not an option?
If people died, why weren't they educated?
Educate > putting it on the black market.

How can they make such a non-specific law? Seems weird to me that this ban could ever be enforced given how vague it is as to what is and isn't a legal high. Like what if it's "incense" and the package says you can't get high on it? Pretty much all research chemicals say "not for human consumption" on the bag.

Maybe I'm just too unfamiliar with Britain's laws to get it.

It wasn't a blanket ban, it was an extension of banning powers so that they can more quickly ban something when someone's precious child kills themselves with it. Now, they won't even have to wait for even a farce of a scientific examination, they can ban it without any concrete evidence towards why it should be banned, while their researchers find (come up with) a set of reasons to support the banning and keep it banned.