Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Isle of Mann -Ban deadly ‘legal high’ says father

edgarshade

Bluelighter
IOM today

Published on Saturday 12 November 2011 07:00

With reader comments

THE father of a 17-year-old girl who died after taking a legal drug has made an emotive plea for lessons to be learned from her death. In a written statement read out at the inquest into the death of Ramsey teenager Tanya Louise Hughes, her father John said the authorities must come together to stop the availability of legal highs and their exposure to youngsters. He described his daughter as ‘a really good kid’ who would have helped anyone. He added: ‘I cannot even begin to describe the loss of Tanya and what we are going through.’ Health chiefs told the Manx Independent the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs would be considering the status of the legal high she took – MDAI – ‘as a matter of urgency’ and was expected to make its recommendation to government ‘in the next few days’.

He described her death as a ‘great tragedy’, adding: ‘I certainly would recommend that MDAI is added to the list of controlled drugs so that it is not legal to obtain it.’ Mr Needham said: ‘The fact Tanya died shows the unpredicatable nature of these types of drugs.

‘It’s no exaggeration to say people dabbling in them are risking their lives.

‘That has got to be the safety message that comes out of this case.’ l The inquest also heard from police surgeon Dr Hassan Ridha who said that Mr McLean was arrested on April 15 on suspicion of manslaughter but was not charged. At police headquarters, it was decided he was unfit to be detained or interviewed as he was suffering from hallucinations and had slurred speech.
He was taken to hospital by ambulance, where he stayed overnight for observation.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/ban_deadly_legal_high_says_father_1_3957846

How much MDAI did she take? Do we know whether she was actually sold MDAI or something else as MDAI or MDMA?, because thats drug prohibitions fault, not the drugs.

At police headquarters, it was decided he was unfit to be detained or interviewed as he was suffering from hallucinations and had slurred speech.

Doesn't sound like the effects of MDAI....

This whole media obsession in the uk about rc s is getting out of control.
What about the millions of teenagers that binge on alcohol every weekend in the city centers?
I am from Slovenia, and was in Manchester last year. I was realy schocked to see the behaveur of the young people on a typical Saturday night.
I mean teens here also get quite drunk on weekends ,but not to an extent that in the uk.

Surely her cause of death would be serotonin syndrome? MDAI acts on nothing but serotonin. She would have needed to have taken a LOT to get serotonin syndrome severe enough to kill her.

Isn't MDAI supposed to be a remarkably safe and non-toxic SSRA?

How did she manage that?

Last edited:
There's always one idiot who ruins it for everyone. Harsh but it's what we're all thinking.

(also probably not MDAI)