• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

New drug could help obese patients lose tenth of their weight in just one month

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
A new drug which destroys blood supply to fatty tissue could help people lose a tenth of their body weight in just one month, a study indicates.

Obese rhesus monkeys lost on average 11 per cent of their body weight after four weeks of the experimental treatment.

Body mass index (BMI) and waistline also were reduced, while all three measures were unchanged in untreated control monkeys.

Imaging studies also showed a substantial decrease in body fat among treated animals.
A research team led by scientists at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Centre carried out the study.

Co-senior author Professor Renata Pasqualini, at the David H. Koch Centre for Applied Research of Genitourinary Cancers, said: "Development of this compound for human use would provide a non-surgical way to actually reduce accumulated white fat, in contrast to current weight-loss drugs that attempt to control appetite or prevent absorption of dietary fat."

cont at
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...-tenth-of-their-weight-in-just-one-month.html

Its a good idea I guess, I'm just not sure that people should have another shortcut in life on top of all of the other shortcuts in life. I suspect instant gratification is part of what led to my ADD.

I'm just not sure that people should have another shortcut in life on top of all of the other shortcuts in life.
I don't mean to take this thread off-topic, but surely if being obese is negatively effecting one's life, being able to easily rectify that is a Good Thing.

^ I think it may depend on exactly why being obese negatively affects one's life,
as well as the complex issue of what causes the obesity, and if that is not the real source of the negative effects.
If there are psychological reasons at the core, such as lack of self-control, then taking a "miracle" drug won't change things much.
If it is a purely physical problem, then the drug might really be useful.