• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

why r some poeple more suseptible to lung cancer? how can i tell if i am one of them?

Poppa'_$murfxXx

Bluelighter
i heard some poeple can smoke 5 ciggs and get lung cancer as a result, while others can smoke their whole life and not get lung cancer from smoking. Is there a test a doctor could run to see if im suseptible to lung or any major organ cancer?

No one can predict cancer. Some people are more susceptible to different types of cancer than others. Lifestyle, genes, and environment all play a role. There are preventative actions you can take to keep yourself healthy and therefore minimize your risk for cancer. As far as tests go, you could go to your doctor and get a lung function test if you're worried about it. If you ask your doctor whether or not you're susceptible to lung cancer, he's going to ask you if you smoke. And then he'll tell you to quit.

Poppa I'm kinda worried about you. You make a ton of threads about some serious health concerns. Have you been to a doctor yet? Maybe it wouldn't hurt to just go in and get a complete physical so you can have a better idea of what's going on in your body. It's better to find out one way or another than just worry about stuff happening. Most cancers are very treatable if they are caught early. We're not doctors here, we're average people who take an interest in our health and health-related topics.

Family history would probably tell a lot, as all other things being equal it appears that susceptibility to environmental cancers (like lung cancer) is hereditary. Now, if you're concerned, the best thing that you can do is to make sure that you're not smoking, eat well, exercise and get enough sleep. A healthy body will be better able to deal with mutated cells as they arise.

To paraphrase/piggy-back off of what Dave said, Poppa:

The absolute best thing you can do right now is quit smoking crack (and don't start using an alternate route of administration for it or other drugs), start eating better and exercising (remember: baby steps. You're probably not going to be able to run a mile the first time out.), and allow 8-10 hours for sleep each night.

In my opinion, the first thing you need to do is quit the crack and drugs in general. Then you will have a clear mind to realize that not all these medical concerns plaque you. I thought I was going insane when I was heavy into drugs--I started seeing shit while at work (I worked the night shift--Ever see The Machinist? Not quite as extreme as that, but just as scary). I started thinking things that were rather irrational, too. I remember posting something on BL that actually got closed down by the mods, saying I needed to quit the drugs and go see a doctor if I still felt that way after quitting drugs.

And guess what? I quit the drugs (not all at once, but some at one point, some at another, and the rest at another time) and got my diet/life back on track, and a little more than a year later, I am a changed person, for the better.

Best of luck, Poppa. Keep us updated. :)

Genetics, as euphoria mentioned, is one of the primary tell tale signs. Always find out if any relatives have issues with cancer.

One recent theory that I've read about is body acidity. Those with a more alkaline or neutral PH seem to get cancer more that those with an acid PH to their body. However, this one, like the aluminum and Alzheimer's and Parkinson's theory, is still pretty much anecdotal evidence. No scientist has said specifically that it will help reduce cancer risk. Certainly, keeping your body detoxified regularly to eliminate free radicals, toxins, heavy metals and other poisons, will help to reduce the risk, however, nothing is a guarantee.

In light of reading this thread and other factors ive decided to vapourize Cannabis at 185 Degrees Celsius
Instead of smoking.