• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

ibuprofen

tremours

Bluelighter
ive been taking quite a bit of ibuprofen lately to deal with these chronic toothaches ive been suffering. usualy about 4-8 a day when its bothering me which is quite often.
while ive heard some other otc pain killers are bad for your liver i wasnt sure about ibuprofen. I also have hep c and i just wanted to check i wasnt completely killing my liver, if so are their any other safer otc pills i could take.

Ibuprofen is ok for your liver. It's mainly tough on the kidneys and stomach. You might want to avoid APAP/acetaminophen/Tylenol though, that can be hard on the liver

ibuprofen's main danger is irritating the stomach lining and I think the lining of the intestines. Pay close attention to how you feel digestion-wise. If you feel pain, nausea, diarrhea or something like that, I would seek alternative pain treatments.

You could try to get Tramadol from your Dr.
This is terrible advice. Tramadol is metabolised by the liver, and for someone with Hep C, taking meds that cause strain on the liver are highly contraindicated.

I know you were trying to help but please be a bit more cautious with the advice you give.

glitter_kiss, do NOT ask your doctor for Tramadol.
Ibuprofen is okay, provided that you are not taking more than the recommended daily dose. It is fine for your liver, but can cause some irritation to the stomach lining if you take too much/too frequently.
Are you able to see a dentist to actually solve the tooth problem that is causing you pain??

See if you can get some gastro-resistant coated ibuprofen. May even be available OTC.

^^ I didn't know such a thing existed?! That is awesome :)

something I would suggest is trying some sort of Anbesol tooth pain gel. I took ibuprofen in high doses for a few months for tooth pain. I got the tooth removed and then got a dry socket because my blood was so thin from the constant dose of ibuprofen in my system. Also it tended to make me very light headed and have horrible stomach issues when I would try and eat anything acidic.

Also if you can get to the dentist, I would definitely do that. If you have a tooth that is rotting you need to get it removed now before the problem gets out of control.