• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Going from Methadone to Heroin to Suboxone

FilthTribe

Greenlighter
Hello, Im currently quickly tapering down to 30mg (maybe less) of Methadone (liquid) and am planning on switching to suboxones once I'm low enough. I used subs to kick heroin a few years ago and it was the EASIEST kick of my life, no pain what so ever. But reading a lot of forums about going from methadone to suboxone was a different story. People said it was harder to tell when to when it was safe to take the sub to avoid Precipitated withdrawals, and other horror stories. So my question is. I'm wondering if once I'm down to about 20-30mg of Methadone, then the next day after my dose start chipping off the H (smoke it) and only use when i really need to, when withdrawal symptoms start coming on, and use the heroin for about 4 days to a week till the methadone is fully off my receptors (not out of my system, i know that takes weeks), but to the point where there's only heroin on my receptors, then take my last fix of the H and then wait till im in full withdrawal, then take the suboxone. Does this sound like it would make an easier transition, then going straight from MD to Subs? oh and if it helps Ive been on MD for two years and i capped at 75mg for the last 9 months or so, I'm at 50mg tomorrow and going down 10mg ever 2 days, cuz they have me on admin detox (for non-payment). Any help, advice or similar experiences are greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

Transitioning from any full agonist to subs is gonna be hard. It's up to you how you'll handle it.

If you have a strong enough will, this is a good transition plan. But different people react differently to different drugs. You should be able to switch over to suboxone rather painlessly as soon as you start feeling serious methadone w/d's.

Last edited:
Transitioning from any full agonist to subs is gonna be hard. It's up to you how you'll handle it.

The best advice you'll ever hear: wait until you are in full blown opiate withdrawal (whether from methadone or heroin) before you start taking suboxone.

Well not necessarily true, like I said, I have once before transitioned from heroin to suboxones and it was a cake walk, but what I'm asking about is going from the MD to H then to subs because a lot of people say it's harder to go from MD to the subs then it is H to the subs. What I'm trying to figure out, is if I go from the MD to the heroin and use the H for up to a week, will I only have to wait 12-24 hrs to take the subs to avoid precipitated w/d or do you think I'm still going to have to wait up to 4 days from the methadone.

As long as you are in W/D it doesn't matter. My advice: Stop taking the m/done, wait til it gets real bad, then take suboxones til you're back on your feet.

Ok, I'm sorry, I guess I didn't ask my question right. All I really want to know is if I stop the methadone, then use heroin for about 4 to 7 days, will the methadone be out of my receptors, replaced by the heroin? I'm asking this because I dont want to wait like 4 or 5 days of discomfort from the m/done slowly leaving my receptors, and just wait like 12-24 hours for the heroin to leave my receptors and take the subs.

did u try it man? im about to do the same thing. 30mg MD to 3-5 days >>>>>> wait 24 hours then start on 1mg sub.

Although your plan would sound dangerous and for some people just an excuse to use some H,i like it.

I joined an outpatient sub clinic recently,and they told us we need to stay at least 10hours+ from our last H dose before we take the bupe,but if were taking methadone,we need at least 24hours+ from our last done use to even consider taking the bupe.

24+ hours totally clean off opiates would seems impossible for me,so id stop the methadone for like a week,and use some H sparingly and only if needed(i know that'll be really hard but at least no binging,no crazy nods etc).Then,after 7-8 days of small and manageable H habit,id wait 12 hours from my last H dose and start the subs.

As long as you contol yourself and dont get in love with H again and only take it for the 7-8 days you were planning to,i dont see why this wouldnt work.
Quite the opposite,i believe youd have a very comfortable and stable transitioning from one drug to another,just make sure not to abuse the H.

Last edited:
thanks bro i appreciate it!

Why are you doing that? don´t you use methadone NOT to go back to heroin?
It seems like you are going backwards imo only.
You see I use methadone for many years and have a totally normal life..Ever since I started using methadone, I recovered my life.
Dealt with the side-effects, lowered the dosage considerably and in terms of cost benefit I´m wining this battle by far.
Really sounds like you are going down and backwards. But it´s your life...

The only issue with this plan is the psychological thing where using the heroin will be hard to kick. I'd just go straight from the 'done to the subs after you're in full withdrawal

The only real downside (if you do everything as planned) is the short span of dope use could raise your opiate tolerance significantly and negate a lot of your hard work tapering

Other than the possible psychological downsides ^

Last edited: