• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Fentanyl First Timer

slothosaurus

Greenlighter
So I know that fentanyl isn't for recreational use, but i'm using it for actual pain. I have muscle spasms in my neck that I take soma for 3 times daily at 350mg, 2 pinched nerves, muscle damage, brain damage (the lower part of my left temporal lobe, and possibly other parts as well, which leads to memory problems that i also have to deal with), and 3 bulging discs. All from a moped accident a few years back when I hit a tree flying off the moped at around 40mph... upper neck first.
So, I also take around 3-4 hydro 7.5/325 mg each day, 2 of which are prescribed, the other 1-2 which are bought. Before the accident I was a heavy opiate user, maxing out at around 320mg oxy on my worst days, and alternating with smack. After the accident, I realized I lacked the self control to use my meds properly, but was in too much pain to not take them. So I quit.

However, 9 days ago, after a breakup (we were together for a year and a half), I took more than I had, around 15 per day for 2 or 3 days, and now I'm out, and will be for around 2 weeks. It had been 2 days (5 days ago) since i'd been out and, still being 22 and in college, I called up my mother who takes 4 350mg soma and 4 10mg oxy a day and explained everything that had happened, we're very close. She said she was put on a fentanyl patch at the beginning of this month and that she'd mail 2 or 3 up here.

I have no idea which brand they are, what strength they are, or how they work but i can't take this pain anymore. Even with what i was taking before i'd still have to lie down in pain almost daily and was still in pain every day. Regardless, I'm going to take them by putting them on, and i'm not looking for a high - I'm looking for actual pain relief, and maybe to make up the sleep i've missed because i've been in too much pain to sleep.

So basically, I have a few questions.

1. What are the differences between brands, I understand there may be a time difference in the release, as some are matrix based, and others are gel based, but is that it? and which is which?
2. I probably shouldn't take the rest of my 20 soma today, should I? lol, I plan to take the last one the second i put my patch on, and to not take any more afterwards, I don't need any potentiating getting in the way, soma and opiates tend to give me worsened respitory depression than the equivalent pain relief (or high, i'm not perfect guys, haha) than either alone.
3. How should I take them? as in, do i take a single patch and cut it up (i'm guessing I don't want the whole thing)
4. In what dose do I cut them up if i do? say i get a 50 milligram 72 hour one, that gives me ~.7 milligrams / hr. what sort of milligrams/hr or micrograms/hr should i start with? Assuming I'm back to a very low tolerance as I haven't had anything for 5 days.
5. I'm getting them in the mail this afternoon around 2, but won't be able to pick them up from my apartment until around 5 or 6. Should i even start to take it then, given that it'll take so long to kick in?
6. What have your experiences been with fentanyl absorbed through the skin, FROM the patch (no mouth nonsense here please)

And lastly, I will take them, regardless of what you tell me I should or shouldn't do, so posting information that can be helpful or informative will really only just help me stay safe, so don't feel bad. xD I'm posting here just so that I can be as safe as possible and protect my life.

Thank you so much in advanced. I'd like you guys to all know how much I appreciate any response at all that is even mildly on topic or constructive. :)

EDIT: i forgot to mention that I'm allergic to demoral

Last edited:
I had sugary on my stomach (gastric bypass) they took out organs and insistence and as a result I ended up with horrible pain for the rest of my life. For awhile I took drugs to deal with my pain and my Doctor prescribed me 100mg FENT patchs.
I remember when I used it alone, one patch at a time that it worked amazing. It lasted along time, it took my pain away, I could work and sleep and feel normal. I kept on them for a few months then I started abusing them instead of using them the way I should and I ran out fast. When I ran out I remember going through one of the worst withdraw I ever have experienced. Fent is a hard drug to kick so be carefull. I would not cut my patch I would put it on and wear it like normal why mess with it at all? I would not take any other drugs while on it, there not needed. So long as you just want pain relief fent will give it to you if you just use it like normal. I also feel no other drug depressed my breathing or my heart as fent did so be careful. Also make sure you put it on the right place (not over the heart what ever you do)
But ya it works well, it will do its job if you don't mess with it. However expect to get hooked fast.

i'll only have 2-3 of them i believe, which is a shame, but something i can deal with.

and what i meant by cutting it up was that i would cut one in half and put it on, i don't know my tolerance right now, and don't want to get myself in a mess... i've done some research but haven't found anyone who wanted it for actual pain relief and to use it as a patch only, so can't really find a decent source of information, though i have heard that it can continue to absorb into your skin for up to 8 hours or more after being taken off, so just taking it off when you feel like you've had too much is not a good plan, so i don't want to try a whole one and then get myself screwed over... :(

EDIT: also, opiates don't actually effect the nerves do they? i thought they bound to the mu (might be wrong about which one) receptor in the brain, as well as others, which then caused release of endorphines and a dullness of the nerves, so besides speed of absorption, why would putting it on top of my heart have an impact on heart rate or my ability to breath?

I would ask your mother what dosage per hour is in the patch as well as which brand. The latter doesn't matter as much as the former seeing as how you intend on slapping them on as directed and not vapourizing or using buccaly.

Just be extremely careful, especially with little to no existing tolerance. Report back when you get em and let us know the dose/type of patch? (I.e gel/matrix whatever). Even the 25 microgram/hr patches I'd recommend cutting into quarters/halves, people in my area are dropping like flies trying to use these patches as a substitute for their small oxy habits. I'd hate to see someone legitimately using them for pain to be hurt. Excercise extreme caution, best of luck to you and be safe!
-dmTed

Just be extremely careful, especially with little to no existing tolerance. Report back when you get em and let us know the dose/type of patch? (I.e gel/matrix whatever). Even the 25 microgram/hr patches I'd recommend cutting into quarters/halves, people in my area are dropping like flies trying to use these patches as a substitute for their small oxy habits. I'd hate to see someone legitimately using them for pain to be hurt. Excercise extreme caution, best of luck to you and be safe!
-dmTed

so basically try for like 8-12mg squares and put one of those on?

also, i'll be sure to post pictures and what not the second i get them, is there any way i can send those with experience and email or pm that they could check around 6 tonight and then again at 8 if i haven't gotten them by then? or just have them try to come back around then and check things out?

also yeah... i kind of hate the stigma of having to buy illicit drugs when i actually need them, just because i'm in my early twenties and my neurologist and ortheopedic surgeon have both told me that they will not prescribe me more simply because of my age, and i had one surgeon who even saw how much pain i was in and literally gave me 40 hydro 5/500's for 30 days... i'm probably going to a pain management clinic in a few weeks to talk to them about this... I mean sure i've used them recreationally before, and used to extensively, but i'm in my first degree of my masters and am just using them for legit pain now... :/

also, i had posted this same post on reddit and 420 chan trying to get as many responses as possible, and someone thought from the post i was going to take all 20 soma at once today, i meant in the post above that i'd take the last one of the day today, and hold onto the 18-19 others for later over the course of the next few weeks. just thought i'd clarify. :)

Something like that, yeah. The only man I've ever met that can successfully use more than a 25 microgram/hr patch is close to 80 yrs old and has been on every different opiate/opioid painkiller in EXISTENCE for the last 20-25 ish years.

First of all, make sure you understand that the Fentanyl patches are in dosages measured in micrograms, not milligrams - huge difference.

Also, if they are the gel patches (as opposed to the matrix ones) then you really wont be able to cut the patch up and place it on your skin. The gel will just ooze out all over you, either becoming absorbed by your clothing and wasting it, or smearing all over your skin which will wildly (and dangerously) increase the speed of absorption. So my advice would to not attempt cutting up a gel-type patch because it is either going to be wasteful or dangerous.

IME the patches (even if your mother had, say, taken the patch out of the wrapping) typically say what mcg dosage the patch is. The one I picked up tonight, for example, wasnt in its wrapper but still has printed on the plastic FENTANYL TRANSDERMAL SYSTEM 50mcg/hr.

Also, IME, the brand does not really matter in terms of efficacy of the drug's action. I wouldn't bother worrying about it - although, honestly, before you go about messing with these things, you ought really to your mother apprise you of which brand and what dosage the patches are. You really can't afford NOT to know what dose the thing it because without that knowledge how would you know how many pieces to cut it up into, or how much to eat/swallow/whichever ROA you end up using? I get the point that you're trying to make when you say you just want advice on how to be safe and that no matter what anyone says you're still going to take them - fine, I certainly have no problem with that, but in the spirit of harm reduction, you *must, must, must* know what dosage your patches are in order to safely use them.

Lastly, in order to use them more safely, I wouldn't even cater to the idea of mixing the patch with Soma - especially if you say in the past you've had experiences with feeling the respiratory depression that the combo of opioids + soma causes in you. I've experienced it too, much moreso even than any other opiate + soma, with fentanyl + soma (and fentanyl + flexeril) and it can be a really scary sensation.

Above all else though be safe, be informed and I hope very much that they work out for you. Honestly I would recommend snorting the gel (as in, squirting out a blob about half to three quarters of the size of a pea onto the end of a Q-tip (cotton part cut off) and sticking it up your nose and snorting sharply. I've always found that, whenever there is doubt as to how much I should take, that snorting the gel provides the quickest onset so I know very quickly whether or not I'll need more than what I've taken, instead of having to wait the while that it takes for the stuff to absorb transdermally. Using fentanyl when there is *any* doubt of how much I'm absorbing at a time always makes me squirm because plenty of people I have known in the past are now dead due to using the stuff and not being fully informed before they tried it. Really, it's one of the drugs that I personally find myself nervous using (recreationally or for pain management) due to the sheer potency of the stuff.

Good luck!

~ vaya

I know you mentioned you dont want to put the patches in your mouth, but I have found using pieces of the patch in my gum to be a far safer method of dosing. Putting the patch on your skin will create a large delay between when the effects start and stop. If you feel it enough and take it off, you will continue receiving fentanyl and continue getting higher for at least an hour, which can lead to being far too high and risking ODing.

In the gum, you get immediate effects. Once younare properly relieved of pain, you can take the piece of the patch out of your gum and the absorption stops immediately. This is only true for the patches that do not ooze. I believe mylan is the propernbrand but double-check before taking my word on it . Check the strength of the patchs before doing anything and be sure whatever route you go is safe before slapping that sucker on.

Sorry about your pain, I hope you are able to find some relief!

okay!
so, here it is..

Top says Fentayl
below that it says transdermal system
below that, 25 mcg/hr (yeah you were right, definitely micrograms....)
says it lats for 72 hrs
made by myland pharmecuticals
when feeling the packaging, i don't feel any gel at all, but i'm not sure if that means anything or not...

Oh you'd know in a heartbeat if you had a gel patch or a flat matrix one.I would check the Fentanyl Megathread and FAQ for information or advice on dosing (as in whether or not you could actually cut this one up and wear the strips since it's not a "gel packet." But IMHO the best way to use those particular Mylan patches would be to cut off a certain portion of the strip (a portion equivalent to the dosing you're going to carefully calculate for yourself, right? ;) )

Good luck to you, sir. I am glad you are beginning with the smaller (i.e. less mcg) patches; it is the best way to remain safe and they definitely ought to help your pain.

~ vaya

Last edited:
Since you got the mylan matrix patches you should just wear it.

But if you got the duragesics, you should make it into a nasal spray.

1. What are the differences between brands, I understand there may be a time difference in the release, as some are matrix based, and others are gel based, but is that it? and which is which?
- regular patches can be a variety of brands, although most the time different brands will have a different amount of MG, it will also say that on the package.

2. I probably shouldn't take the rest of my 20 soma today, should I? lol, I plan to take the last one the second i put my patch on, and to not take any more afterwards, I don't need any potentiating getting in the way, soma and opiates tend to give me worsened respitory depression than the equivalent pain relief (or high, i'm not perfect guys, haha) than either alone.
-For your first time stay away from other depressants, fentanyl is a very potent opiate and has a feeling of no other opiate. i feel that it would be quite dangerous if you have no tolerance for either.

3. How should I take them? as in, do i take a single patch and cut it up (i'm guessing I don't want the whole thing)
Cut a a corner of the patch about as thick as your pinkey try that first if you need more, cut little pieces off and chew.

5. I'm getting them in the mail this afternoon around 2, but won't be able to pick them up from my apartment until around 5 or 6. Should i even start to take it then, given that it'll take so long to kick in?
-Chewing the patch takes about 15 min high is long stong and def amazing.

6. What have your experiences been with fentanyl absorbed through the skin, FROM the patch
-If this is your first time keep it off the skin. It has a higher BA when absorbed through skin and since you have no tolerance that could be dangerous.

if your using it for pain then just where it

Wear*

In all honesty you should be talking to your mom about this not a message board.

Id hate to be responsible for you missusing these and OD'ing or something and getting your mom into unnessasary trouble.

I agree habboz.

I had a run in with some 25mcG patches once and it was a beast. I was opiate tolerant to a major degree and still had problems with it kicking my ass. Be very very careful because Fent don't take prisoners when it comes to a dosage that is a little too much... too late with this stuff. Just be aware and be cautious... later!

So basically, I have a few questions.

4. In what dose do I cut them up if i do? say i get a 50 milligram 72 hour one, that gives me ~.7 milligrams / hr. what sort of milligrams/hr or micrograms/hr should i start with? Assuming I'm back to a very low tolerance as I haven't had anything for 5 days.
6. What have your experiences been with fentanyl absorbed through the skin, FROM the patch (no mouth nonsense here please)

And lastly, I will take them, regardless of what you tell me I should or shouldn't do, so posting information that can be helpful or informative will really only just help me stay safe, so don't feel bad. xD I'm posting here just so that I can be as safe as possible and protect my life.

Alright so this is going to be a long post, but it will be very educational in EVERYTHING FENTANYL, please read, this damn post too a long ass time and I did it for you buddys!

Alright so the first thing you need to know is that Fentanyl is one HUNDRED times more potent than morphine, it is measured in MICROgrams(mcg or µg), not milligrams. Therefore it is NOT something you wanna fuck around with, especially because you have a low tolerance, Fentanyl is probably the most dangerous opiate for a person to try to use simply because it is so potent that it's really easy to give yourself way too much and then end up overdosing or even dying. If you are going to be using it, you need to know that. Also if you use this for more than a few days straight your tolerance is going to skyrocket and you may end up worse of than before because your hydros will stop working due to tolerance. :(

Okay now on to your questions:
1) There are a few different brands of fentanyl patches, the dosage system basically says 'this is how many milligrams your body absorbs every hour of the day, All fentanyl patches are meant to be worn for 3 days, or 72 hours, although some people find they only last 2 or 2 1/2 days:
Watson Duragesic the dosages are - 25mcg/h, 50mcg/h, 75mcg/h, 100mcg/h - all patches come in at least, these dosages(standard dosages) - these are my personal favorite not just because you can get high off them because they are ful of fentanyl gel which can be smoked. But be careful you could end up killing yourself.
Sandoz brand - standard dosages - These ones have the gel inside them like the Watson Duragesics, so people like to get high off these ones too.
Mylan brand, the dosages are - 12.5mcg/h, 25mcg/h, 75 mcg/h, 100 mcg/h - and some brands make a 12.5mcg/h patch - many people like this brand because they are small, clear, and stick to your skin very well.
Actavis brand - I don't know much about the Actavis ones, I also am not sure whether they have gel in them or if it s a matrix like the Mylan patches.

2) DO NOT take ALL those somas, you might fuck yourself up bad. I would say you should take like AT THE MOST 6 at once depending on how much you weigh and your tolerance and everything..save your somas for later when you need them, they obviously would help with your pain, and they are also great if you happened to have trouble falling asleep one night :)

3) It depends on the type of patches you get, if it is a gel patch then you won't be able to cut it in half, so if you end up with a 50mcg/h or higher dosed patch then I just wouldn't wear if because you would proly end up sleeing for 3 days straight, and then your opiate tolerance will be completely fucked up like I was saying earlier.
However if you get a non gel patch then just cut it into smaller pieces, do the math so that your cut out piece will be giving you roughly 10-15 (ideally 12.5) mcgs of fentanyl per hour.

4) Now after you have your dosage selected..don't put it on yet!!!..I find that the best placement for the patch is to put it on your upper shoulder, on your back, or on the inside of your forearms/wrists. First what you wanna do is get a warm wash cloth and scrup the area you've chosen for your patch (and scrub the rest of yourself too! you smell like shit!!! lol ;) ). Now if the area you plan to put your patch on has ANY hair at all, you wanna get some shaving cream or whatever and shave that part of your body, just the little rectangle where the patch will be applied. Lastly wait for your skin to COMPLETELY dry off, then take the back cover off the patch and carefully stick it on to your body making sure not to allow any air bubbles to form under the patch and that lessens surface area touching the skin which. in turn, causes slightly less of the drug to be absorbed.

5) With a tolerance like yours I would just wait til I got home to even put one on, you never know how fast your body might start to feel it compared to some others. It would be horrific if you were to get in a car and damage your vehicle and possibly yourself and/or someone else because you nodded out while driving. Fentanyl is especially notorious for verystrong sedation and respiratory depression.

6) I am and have been for several months now, on Duragesic patches because I have moderate to severe chronic pain in my back and neck due to scoliosis and possibly complex regional pain syndrome. I find that the patches work great absorbed through the skin. A few other tips on how to aid absorption is to scrub your skin extra hard where the patch will be, this gets rid of the dead skin layer. And makes it so that the drug has to travel a smaller distance through your body and into your bloodsteam.

If you happen to get gel patches, I would really advise against smoking any fent because it is so fucking addictive (trust me) and dangerous when you use that route of administration.
Also your tolerance will skyrocket and you'll just end up worse off than before because your pain meds will stop working due to tolerance.

If you have any more questions I'll be glad to answer. And that shit took like 30 minutes to type yall! Damn I worked hard for you people ;P