• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Feeling Things That Aren't There on Methadone

SpunkySkunk347

Bluelighter
Edited for clarity: I am NOT taking Methadone daily; I am not physically dependent; I was only using methadone once every 1-2 weeks, Sheesh.

Whenever I lay back and close my eyes on methadone, I start getting mild hallucinations where it feels like something is touching me when there is nothing there. One of the most common ones is feeling like there's ground beneath my feet as if I'm standing up, even though I'm laying down. I also feel non-existent things bump into me, and other things of this nature - it feels sort of like that feeling when you're about to fall asleep, but then you get that half-awake dream that you're falling and you quickly wake back up.

I also get mild half-consciously controlled auditory hallucinations - these are the worst, as sometimes they can start to get downright creepy and disturbing.

Then there's also the "weird uncomfortable thoughts that you can't get rid of".

All these mild hallucinations only happen when I'm nodding.

They seem somewhat reminiscent of DXM, as well as a high-grade fever (could never distinguish the 'hallucinogenic' effects of DXM from the latter), so I'm guessing it has something to do with NMDA antagonism. The overall NMDA antagonist-esque sensation isn't exactly comfortable, for some reason it feels to me like what receiving brain damage must feel like - my thoughts feel ishy, uncomfortable, gross, like my brain is being fried into states it doesn't want to be in.

Is there any way to fix this or stop it?
I suppose getting a full nights sleep before dosing would probably help a lot, is there anything else?

Are these hallucinations maybe just a sign that my dose is too high? I'm at about 40mg in order to get the effects I want. I don't have a tolerance from using opiates regularly, but I seem to have a permanent baseline tolerance that requires at least 30mg of hydrocodone to get high (even after a 6 month long break).

Last edited:
40mg methadone is very excessive for a 30mg hydrocodone habit! 40mg of methadone will make even a weathered dope user nod the fuck out for a day or two. It seems like the side effects you are speaking of are just a hard nod out.

Why are you getting on methadone? That tolerance is small, and that hydro habit will be a trillion times easier to kick then methadone.

I like the duration of methadone. With hydro, you just get going and then its over.
And my required dose of hydro fluctuates too - sometimes I need 30, sometimes I need 45, and sometimes (but unfortunately, very rarely) I only need 20.

But after today (since these hallucinations while nodding were particularly uncomfortable today), I'm thinking of just staying off methadone unless I can be happy with 30mg or less.
I only use it once a week at most, so I don't know how well my tolerance is accumulating - doesn't seem like its accumulating very much at all.

The lethality of methadone is something that does concern me. A few hundred thousand people take methadone in the USA, and 4,500 people die each year from it. What is that, like a 1-3% chance of dying? With a few deaths reported at as low as 30mg? Kind of scary

What exactly is it about methadone that makes it so lethal? Is it the duration? The combined sedation of opiod receptor agonism with NMDA antagonism?
Just the inherent potency of the drug?
Something's not right here because I can get high off 300mg of tramadol, 30mg of oxy, or 30mg of hydrocodone, but for some reason it takes at least 30mg of methadone to get high. What's the deal here?? Does my body have an abnormally high level of enzymes metabolizing the methadone? I read somewhere that the enzymes induced by cigarette smoking are also ones that metabolize methadone - I do smoke, is that the case?

Is it possible to die from a dose that you had taken previously and lived while having the same level of tolerance, or are most of these deaths first-timers?

Last edited:
Methadone is very potent and many people mix it with other drugs, that's why the death rate is so high.

It sonds to me that your 'done dosage is just way too high.

You're going to make your very, very small habit into a bigger one by eating 40mg methadone daily. Sounds like adverse effects from the medication, lay off the done.

I take Methadone daily 10-15 mg and when I'm about to fall asleep I get mild-auditory "hallucinations", mostly conversations. It's just random chatter going on in my head, but until now I never have been scared or felt uncomfortable by "the voices."

I and am on 'done for 4+ years, and in the beginning when taking 30-40 mg I sometimes felt as if I'm going to pass away or get uncomfortable body twitches and had to make myself stay up and not nod.

Probably you should just lay it off for some times (best would be forever - since you know that Methadone is one of the hardest thing to kick), but I know I can't convince you.

That is one huge dose of methadone bro.. wow... I feel for you when you quit man that will be one hell of a WD :(

i wonder if the methadone you are buying is watered down? are you getting the liquid?
40mg just sounds like way too much.

Thats an insane amount of methadone to take after only having a 30mg of hydrocodone habit. I took 5mgs of methadone several times & thought it was too strong.............I think 40mgs would have killed me.

i wonder if the methadone you are buying is watered down? are you getting the liquid?
40mg just sounds like way too much.
Yes I am, and although I don't like to think I'm being ripped off (I know this person very well), it certainly could be possible.
The first time I took methadone it was three 10mg pills, and was the highest I've ever been in my life, I loved it.
But ever since I've been getting the liquid, its just not the same. It feels shitty, and I need a lot of it to get high.

At 20mg I barely feel a thing, I might as well be taking tramadol because 300mg of tramadol gets me higher than 20mg of methadone. I took 30mg of oxy the other day and got very high off of it; yet I am quite confident that I could take 30mg of methadone right now and not get nearly as high as I did off the oxy....
There's just got to be some sort of issue with my body's enzymes causing this, it just has to be. I do smoke a lot of cigarettes, does anyone think that could be the culprit?

If you're possibly getting watered down methadone then be very careful if you try taking tablets (diskettes or whatever..), if you think you're taking 40-mg as liquid but are really taking anything less than 35-mg IMO you're not tolerant enough to handle 40-mg in pill form. Taking liquid methadone from a source other than a hospital/pharmacy/clinic directly could well mean you're not taking the "advertised" amount and should you take a 40-mg wafer you could easily end up stiff and purple. Be careful with methadone, take too much once and you are so screwed... It's extremely potent as the preceding posters have noted, and I'd be concerned that you're not getting as much as they person giving it to you advertises, so if you switch sources or dose types you could very easily OD. Be careful, know your gear and know your tolerance - and adhere to it. Better yet, don't use "street" scored opiates unless you're willing to risk death. If you're getting pills, say OC 20s and can verify the pill is real that's one thing, but an unverifiable dose of liquid methadone is not something you can use to determine your tolerance. Your tolerance to hydrocodone says a lot more than your experience with liquid methadone that likely has been diluted. Many of my friends, and it sucks to write "many", have passed on b/c of street opioids and a misunderstanding of their tolerance.

Last edited:
thank you for your advice, it was very much appreciated
I've decided to stop getting methadone from this person, and not get it in liquid again unless I'm allowed to inspect the sealed bottle and make sure there are no holes from syringes or anything in the foil

Well dude, if you're religious I think that the demons can possess you while you're impaired like that. I think every addict has a demon in them or close by em all times. You ever hear that saying got a monkey on your shoulder? I got that with dope and narcotics in general. I will be so motivated the night I want to stop then the next day comes and every thought to get money to get high and stop the withdrawal, I always fall for.

So all in all, there probably is someone, or someTHING there touching you, waiting to get inside of you..

Don't let it happen..

well, I have been involved a great deal with the occult in the past, and sometimes I wonder if I have lost my soul because of it (it sure feels like I have),
but I don't really think that this kind of speculation is going to give a non-ambiguous verifiable answer to my questions and concerns.

Last edited:
I like the duration of methadone. With hydro, you just get going and then its over.
And my required dose of hydro fluctuates too - sometimes I need 30, sometimes I need 45, and sometimes (but unfortunately, very rarely) I only need 20.

But after today (since these hallucinations while nodding were particularly uncomfortable today), I'm thinking of just staying off methadone unless I can be happy with 30mg or less.
I only use it once a week at most, so I don't know how well my tolerance is accumulating - doesn't seem like its accumulating very much at all.

The lethality of methadone is something that does concern me. A few hundred thousand people take methadone in the USA, and 4,500 people die each year from it. What is that, like a 1-3% chance of dying? With a few deaths reported at as low as 30mg? Kind of scary

What exactly is it about methadone that makes it so lethal? Is it the duration? The combined sedation of opiod receptor agonism with NMDA antagonism?
Just the inherent potency of the drug?
Something's not right here because I can get high off 300mg of tramadol, 30mg of oxy, or 30mg of hydrocodone, but for some reason it takes at least 30mg of methadone to get high. What's the deal here?? Does my body have an abnormally high level of enzymes metabolizing the methadone? I read somewhere that the enzymes induced by cigarette smoking are also ones that metabolize methadone - I do smoke, is that the case?

Is it possible to die from a dose that you had taken previously and lived while having the same level of tolerance, or are most of these deaths first-timers?

You need to STOP taking Methadone. Your tolerance is so low its not even funny. 45mgs of hydrocodone? You or on a maintenance program for 45mgs of hydrocodone which is just dumb. The fact you are completely saying methadone gets you High is a note from your body saying you dont need it. Why would you even do that?!

I dont mean this to be personal but people like You are a reason Why methadone can be deadly, and by doing what you are doing lets those against methadone have a justified reason to think its deadly. You are nodding like fuck is what Im reading. Not the average nod the first month a maintenance user May get, your getting blasted. It bothers me that you dont have enough information to be smart enough to get a better maintenance program like Subutex.

I dont think your addiction is a joke. Yes it all sucks heroin iv or just vicodin but clearly methadone Isnt for you. It shouldnt even be a question why you are getting those affects. I hope you quit using a good drug some of us Need to gethigh on. Methadone was never a get high drug. If you want to get helpgo to a doc. Youre Not possessed youre just greatly nodding out....have you not nodded before? Wish you luck

Sounds like you should try to switch to a more pleasurable opiate to taper off the done'...Just saying, because I know this is the only way it would work for myself. It would take at least 2 weeks for me (oxycodone or hydromorphone) then start tapering from that for a few weeks, on a weaker opiate, if possible - down to where you could comfortably use psylocibe or cactus to rid your demons (& bring back your good spirits) Good luck...
(I can hear it now,) "just trading one addiction for another" You have to want it...freewill.

methadone's ability to block NMDA receptors is minimal; i doubt you get a true dissociative experience. as others have said, take less methadone. IMO lower your dosage to 10-20mgs

You need to STOP taking Methadone. Your tolerance is so low its not even funny. 45mgs of hydrocodone? You or on a maintenance program for 45mgs of hydrocodone which is just dumb. The fact you are completely saying methadone gets you High is a note from your body saying you dont need it. Why would you even do that?!

I dont mean this to be personal but people like You are a reason Why methadone can be deadly, and by doing what you are doing lets those against methadone have a justified reason to think its deadly. You are nodding like fuck is what Im reading. Not the average nod the first month a maintenance user May get, your getting blasted. It bothers me that you dont have enough information to be smart enough to get a better maintenance program like Subutex.

I dont think your addiction is a joke. Yes it all sucks heroin iv or just vicodin but clearly methadone Isnt for you. It shouldnt even be a question why you are getting those affects. I hope you quit using a good drug some of us Need to gethigh on. Methadone was never a get high drug. If you want to get helpgo to a doc. Youre Not possessed youre just greatly nodding out....have you not nodded before? Wish you luck

Guys, I'll repeat it for the 5th time, I am NOT, I repeat, NOT on a maintenance program! I am NOT taking methadone daily, or even once every several days for that matter.
I was only taking methadone ONCE a WEEK, but I am now NO LONGER TAKING IT AT ALL

Sounds like you should try to switch to a more pleasurable opiate to taper off the done'...Just saying, because I know this is the only way it would work for myself. It would take at least 2 weeks for me (oxycodone or hydromorphone) then start tapering from that for a few weeks, on a weaker opiate, if possible - down to where you could comfortably use psylocibe or cactus to rid your demons (& bring back your good spirits) Good luck...
(I can hear it now,) "just trading one addiction for another" You have to want it...freewill.

If I get any more replies like "dude stop using it every day", I'm going to have to edit my main post with a giant bold disclaimer, or I'll just have to start spamming

Are you guys just trolling me now or something? Seriously, read the rest of the thread before replying, or at least skim it

Maybe its just so unbelievable that a person can have discretion when using opiates, and can restrain themselves from going apeshit and dosing every 4 hours -- and maybe its so far removed from their comprehension and expectations, that they can not even fathom it and their brain subconsciously rejects my text and just assumes that I'm an addict.

Edit: Okay maybe its only the second time I've had to say that I was only using it once or twice a week; but still it was implied in my main post when I said that I don't have an opiate tolerance because I don't use opiates regularly

Last edited: