I mean, what gives it its entertainment value? Is it:
-thrilling
-emotional
-sedating
-a distraction
-what's expected, a social thing

etc?

I would say all of the above.

Some movies kill time, some are informative/educational, some offer a unique perspective, some movies are funny, some are emotionally gripping.

I watch movies for lots of reasons.

Distraction, although that's changed over the years. As I get older, I'm less able to be affected on an emotional level by movies that I would have derived great meaning from during my early twenties or teens. it all used to be thrilling and exciting.

Why do I watch movies? Why do I listen to music or read books?

Because they're awesome.

Distraction, although that's changed over the years. As I get older, I'm less able to be affected on an emotional level by movies that I would have derived great meaning from during my early twenties or teens. it all used to be thrilling and exciting.

i'm getting to this point also. Often i would find myself watching the events unfold on the screen (both in the cinema and at home), completely unaffected emotionally, acknowledging the plot points and once this becomes self-conscious i begin to question why i even bother.

and i can't really answer.

good responses so far (except vlatrone, back to the kids table for you if you can't hold a conversation).

escapism mostly, real life isnt very enjoyable for me so why not go some where else for 1 1/2 hours

-thrilling
-emotional

- funny

I also like to learn things from movies (just as I learn things from conversations and various experiences.)
I won't say that I watch movies as a "time filler", because I enjoy spending my time watching movies. If I have spare time, I toss up in my mind for a moment about whether I want to read some of my book, play some CoD, masturbate, or watch something. Then if I decide to watch something, I have to weigh up about which movie I want to watch. I've decided to watch the movie, so I don't see it as a time filler.

Lefty, I wonder if you've just been watching too many movies/shows lately?

I personally don't watch a lot of movies/shows compared to some of my friends. So the two or three movies that I watch in a given week, I tend to pay a lot of attention to, and I spend time processing them (thinking about them in the following days, when they randomly pop up in my mind).

I think the whole idea is that it's a novel experience. Although I know that you're like a proper adult with a career and stuff, so I doubt that you really even have the time to watch enough movies to get to that point... Who knows then...

thanks r_e, good reply, mate.

i don't think i'm watching too much. i'm currently severely stressed (f/t work, f/t uni, wife and child overseas) and have so much on my plate i keep thinking of other things i should really be doing. it's probably this that has make entertainment more difficult. still.... the question of why people watch films is interesting. it's a habit practically everyone does and takes for granted.

i don't think i'm watching too much. i'm currently severely stressed (f/t work, f/t uni, wife and child overseas) and have so much on my plate

Yea I sort of thought that may be the case halfway through writing my post.

still.... the question of why people watch films is interesting. it's a habit practically everyone does and takes for granted.

Yes, definitely.

To add another motive for watching movies: I have a friend who's aspiring to become a screen writer. He watches a lot of movies, keeps up with the new stuff. He also looks into 'the greats' (he bought a Stanley Kubrick dvd boxset, for example). Obviously his love for movies came first, but with his aspiration to become a screen writer also comes a sense of duty (perhaps to watch movies not solely for enjoyment, but also for educations sake - to get a sense of the history and the progression of film).

oh that kubrick boxed set was my best ever dvd purchase.

yes, another good one. any aspiring filmmaker NEEDS to watch everything, good, bad and ugly. i kinda share that aspiration, although i have had no movement in that regard during these last 2+ years at uni. I still intend to make another short when i can.

Almost always escapism, which is why I've always preferred comedies and action flicks to the soul-crushing drama that seems to be universally considered timeless cinema. Life is fucked-up enough already, really.

Because the theatre is a dream state, its a dream, escapism, virtual reality. Its larger than life really.

on top of some already mentioned reasons like escapism and exposure to novel experiences/ideas, there is a thrill to seeking and finding extremely well crafted pieces of art. after i see a 5 star movie, my mind is exploding. that something so amazing exists and people created it. that it is possible for more, different amazing works to be created. gets me all excited about life.

and the tree of influence and incomplete overlap in ideas, styles, tones that can be traced.

Last edited:
I like watching movies just for that moment of relax, don't need to think about my stuff I can concentrate on something different and ignore what I need for the duration of the movie.