Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film 2011 "ecstasy" movie scene similarity to scene from macklemore music vid coincidence?

sadaddaspie

Greenlighter
2011 "ecstasy" movie scene similarity to scene from macklemore music vid coincidence?

Has anyone seen the movie "Ecstasy" released this year and directed by Lux? NOT the Irvene Welsh one. I torrented it thinking it was the Irvene Welsh one and watched it anyway when I realized it wasn't. I didn't think it was very good but it was interesting... and depressing, and not in a respectable Requiem for a Dream way (ok that's a bit more nightmarish than depressing) either but none of that is my reason for posting. There's a scene in it where two lead characters (a guy and a girl) are standing around by a pier not talking that reminded me of a scene just like that from the Macklemore's music video for the song "Otherside" and while there's not a lot to the scene and there's probably the same sort of scene in a hundred other movies, I still thought it might not be a coincidence because the subject matter of the movie is largely parallel to the subject matter of the song. First and foremost, they're both about perils of drug abuse. Second, the secondary subject matter of the movie (aside from the perils of drug abuse) is religion and while the original version of the song Otherside (which I like) uses a sample of the Chili Peppers song and has no references to religion what so ever, the version in the music video doesn't use the Chili Peppers sample and instead has alternative instrumental music and vocals by the artist Fences, with lyrics about God - and the male character in the movie scene I'm talking about is portrayed as a genuine believer throughout the movie - and in the music video, the recurring scene of the couple by the pier accompanies every instance of vocals by Fences... not only that but while his lyrics refer to (and acknowledge) a god, but who "comes down and says nothing" which seems particularly relevant to the movie as it's right after mr.believer-guy from the silent pier scene has his faith shaken by some twisted shit he discovers about the priest/minster at his church. The whole silent guy/girl standing around by a pier thing is both irrelevant and insignificant in both in the movie and the music video but upon seeing the scene in the movie I was immediately reminded of the Otherside music video and startled by the striking parallels between subject matter & context as well as the scene itself in all it's simplicity and randomness.

If you've seen the movie but haven't seen the music video, here's a link so you know what I'm talking about
Macklemore x Ryan Lewis - Otherside (remix feat. Fences)

If you've seen both before reading this, did you notice the similarities I'm talking about? Or now that I mention it, do you think it's a coincidence or something intentional (like the movie inspiring the music video or something)?

If you haven't seen the movie and you're thinking of watching it now, I can't recommend it but I also wouldn't tell you not to. It's depressing and graphic which can both be elements of a great movie but it doesn't really engage you in a meaningful way that you can relate to like any good movie should. It was not only less disturbing than Requiem but also much less tasteful and believable... so despite having a very depressing plot from start to finish and being graphic/intense, what it depicts manages to seem less horrendous and more exagerated simultaneously. Another big flaw I think is it's CONSTANT negativity. Yes it's a drama and no I don't care how depressing a watch it is, I think every GOOD depressing/disturbing movie I've seen has some purely pleasant scenes, just like any good movie that appeals to positive emotions needs to have some negative scenes or plot elements for contrast or the viewing experience is bland. I can't remember a single scene in this movie that was neutral/positive from start to finish (with no blatant or implied negativity)... from start to finish, to some extent or another, every scene let's you know something bad is happening... Even in Requiem, which I referred to as being nightmarish, your three protagonists (and the grandma, LOL) are all seen enjoying themselves at times where even though that enjoyment may be tied contextually to negative elements of the plot, they're still entirely positive in the moment. This movies total lack of unadulterated happiness/fun/satisfaction scenes and the extreme perils of drug use depicted just seems to be screaming "DRUGS ARE BAD" the entire time and there doesn't seem to be much more to it than that and even though everything in it may be legitimately based on elements of reality, it seems grossly exaggerated. All my complaints aside, I've seen much worse movies and if you're bored and don't mind depressing movies and want to watch it, by all means, go ahead. If you only like watching really good movies, I can't recommend it, but it was OK so if you like drug movies and have nothing better to do, it could be worth watching. It's called Ecstasy but it's not really about MDMA. Not a glowing review and there were a lot of things I didn't like about it but I still sort of enjoyed it. Comparing it to Requiem isn't fair because Aronofsky is a fucking artistc genius and Requiem is a masterpiece but the contrast between it's perfection and this movies flaws and the similarities between them make it very easy to compare & contrast them to make my point.​

...damn it, the other 2011 movie called Ecstasy (directed by Rob Heydon and based on Irvine Welsh's book), the one that Imeant to watch isn't even out yet! IMDB says released february 2011 and there are 20 reviews so I thought it had been released and that's why I was looking for it. Oh well, after watching Kristin Kreuks onset interview from July, I'm kind of glad it's not out and I wasn't able to watch it today because now I want to read the book first. Sounds like it could be a good movie but even if it is, I've never liked a good film adaptation more than the good book it was based on and I always find the books more enjoyable if you read them before watching a movie than after so now I've got a chance to read it!

I'm looking forward to the Irvine Welsh's one to. Trailer looks good.
Soz couldn't care about the other 'Ecstasy' film =D

and you shouldn't, as there's no good reason to... I was posting purely out of my trivial curiosity as to whether that scenes similarity to the music video was coincidence or not and whether or not anyone else had an opinion and then I ended up going off on a couple tangents. It's really random. I doubt they're related and I doubt anyone would have came to the conclusion that they may be if I hadn't mentioned it, and I don't think many people have seen this movie anyway.