• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Infomercials

Tommyboy

Bluelight Crew
Some of the conversation in this thread turned into discussion on infomercials, so I thought it might warrant it's own thread.

So, we've all been up late on weekdays, or early on weekends, and somehow found ourselves watching infomercials. They can vary from funny, to ridiculous, to catchy, and some are actually informative.

What are some of your favorites, and why?

One of the ones I have seen the most in for the Showtime Rotisserie Barbeque, starring Ron Popeil. One of the things that I always found funny with it is how raw some of the food comes out. "Mmmmm, roast beef." I think not. That thing is bleeding like mad when he cuts into it. It's one thing if the center is red, but everything but the crust is red in this one. I actually had one of them, but I was holding onto it for someone, and had to give it back. I used it a few times, and it was decent, but I don't think that I would use it regularly. I forgot what I cooked with it, I think it was some BBQ chicken that I brushed with some BBQ sauce and put in the flat spit basket. The only benefit really is being able to brush the whole thing with sauces and seasoning, and since it is not on a pan of grill, none of it burns off.

One of the other infomercials I remember seeing a lot growing up was for one of the scratch removers for cars. The host would go to town keying a car, and it would magically go away after 5 seconds of rubbing this cream on it. It was always funny seeing him do damage that I knew really couldn't be fixed by that product.

So let's hear yours!

Over the last few years I've actually had a few periods of wicked insomnia where I found myself intently watching some informercials at weird hours of the night/early morning. I've never bought anything, but I've come close a few times. Sometimes the things look kind of neat.

I came really close to buying this sweetass Ronco knife set a few years ago. If I ordered then I would have gotten TWO knife sets for the price of one. I never cook or anything, but I did debate with myself for a while over whether I should get them or not. This was about two years ago now and I sometimes wonder if my life would have been any different had I had a sweetass knife set (or TWO sweetass knife sets!).

^ Are you talking about the miracle blade that Chef Tony promotes? I actually got that, well my parents ordered it. It was kind of a big deal, since it was the first thing they ordered on TV. They are actually in my cabinet now, and have been replaced by a new knife set. I actually liked them though, and prefer them to the new set.

I own a Magic Bullet...
And I'll tell you it does everythng but crush ice.
for some reason the blades just juggle the cubes around and I get so upset that I crush the ice in my hands...

I'm sorry to say that there is not a single infomercial that I like, which is even more the case after a brief but mad stint as an inbound telemarketer (it's a long story). I know the tricks they use to get you to buy shit you don't need or even want; it's a dirty business through and through.

I'll only give two tips:
*If you want it, buy it online and skip the bullshit.
*Fifty bucks says it's at your local Wal-Mart or Target already.