• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Quit microwaving all your meals and make a salad.

JiminiPimini

Bluelighter
In a fast paced world it is sometimes difficult to take a few minutes out of the day to prepare something healthy and nutritious. What many fail to realize is the wonders fruits and vegetables can have on your physical and mental health. Leavy greens and common salad toppings are rich in vitamins and fiber that will make you feel better head to toe.

I think people would eat more salad if they truly knew the infinite possibilities it has to offer. There is no wrong salad, and the salad creator can feel free to add and subtract items of interest or dislike freely without fear.

I recently made a salad with fresh romaine, red onion, crushed pecans, bleu cheese, dried cranberries, cucumber, celery and poppy seed dressing. Exquisite.

Do any of you have a favorite salad recipe? Also perhaps a favorite dressing follow up? Have any of you experienced feeling better from eating more fruits and vegies? Please share. :D

i really like eating salad. so quick and easy to make, slap a massive plate full of random stuff together and dump some salad cream and tuna/sardines on top

Photoon2011-08-21at1321.jpg

this is the salad i described earlier with addition of bell pepper and to top it off, bar-b-qued chicken, stuffed with bacon and jarlsburg cheese, chilled and sliced. Fantastico!

good idea, make a healthy salad and then heap two types of dead animal and a bunch of greasy cheese on top of it.

in all truth, microwaved vegetables would be better in many ways than bbq chicken - a microwave is a perfectly legitimate way to steam/ cook peas, asparagus, soften potatoes, etc... and since it works by cooking the food with heat generated by its own moisture content, there is no water or steam for the nutrients to disperse into.

regardless of the chicken on top. eating salad with your meal aids in digestion and is healthy. sometimes its nice to make a salad hedonistic.

And i should have made myself a little more clear. there is nothing inherently about using a microwave to cook. But typical microwaveable meals are chalk full of preservatives and are typically less healthy than meals prepared fresh.

make sure to chew your greens and veggies to the point where they are liquified. stomach acid is not strong enough to break down all the cell walls.

i always thought mirowaves killed nutrients?
as well as canned veggies and frozen veggies are poor in nutrients?
u have to get them in the produce and they are better eaten raw b/ of the live enzymes in them?

i eat them all raw.
(or steamed)
and yeah, i thought microwaves killed almost everything - more then boiling water.
we need some bacterias though...as long as there are bacteria about.

Salad is probably my third favorite food. I'll eat pretty much any kind of salad except ones with fruit/nuts in it(never tried a salad with fruit, don't feel I would enjoy it, i'll just eat pure fruit salad for dessert;)). Nearly all dressings as well, though good ranch and sweet/sour are my favorites. A perfect salad would have tons of veggies, croutons, and some mozzarella cheese on top with just enough dressing to lightly coat the leaves/salad. I rarely ever put anything besides greens in my salad(meat wise), just like the fruit i'll just eat the meat on the side if i'm going to most times. Perfection!

Salad is easy as it requires little work to put together :)

But , i dont find it very filling so heres a typical meal id class as a Salad;

Lettuce, Tomatoes, Pepper, Onion, Cucumber, Bit of potato Salad, Bit of Coleslaw, Chicken burger in a wholemeal bap and some oven chips (to fill me up)

Salad for today consists of: silverbeet, grape tomatoes, avocado, onion, garlic, kidney beans, brown rice, celery..and cottage cheese for a bit of texture

PIP - after you steam asparagus, for example, most of the nutrients are lost to the steam and water... if you microwave it, though, the nutrients stay in the asparagus, because there is not as much hot water for the cell walls to exchange nutrients with (through osmosis)

I *totally* agree with the OP! There is practically NO WRONG SALAD -- the possibilities are infinite!

To pick a favorite salad would be impossible. I cannot be asked to do such a thing. That would be like picking a favorite child. BUT, I will say that ONE of my favorite ways to eat salad is to simply dip plain, raw veggies in salted olive oil. I'll eat two entire raw zucchinis that way, or a couple bell peppers, or a few carrots, or a handful of radishes. Sometimes simplicity is key.

Last edited:
in all truth, microwaved vegetables would be better in many ways than bbq chicken - a microwave is a perfectly legitimate way to steam/ cook peas, asparagus, soften potatoes, etc... and since it works by cooking the food with heat generated by its own moisture content, there is no water or steam for the nutrients to disperse into.
Not trying to start an argument, but I politely disagree that the microwave is a perfectly legitimate way to steam/cook vegetables.

See Microwave Appliances for more information. There are also two or three other threads in the archives about microwaves if you use the search engine--Though I realize this thread is more so for the latter part of the title, about salad. Which, yeah, salad is good, but I'll take food cooked on the stove over salad almost every day.

Unless it's a salad with multiple types of greens, chickpeas, mushrooms, sunflower seeds, and "Ranch" dressing. Then I'll have a salad in place of a meal cooked on the stove. :p

I recently made a salad with fresh romaine, red onion, crushed pecans, bleu cheese, dried cranberries, cucumber, celery and poppy seed dressing. Exquisite.

Great thread, but this sounds absolutely disgusting. Dried fruits are wrong in so many ways. Cheese in any form is fucking foul, especially blue cheese. Dressings are also pretty nasty....I usually just infused Rice Bran or Olive Oil with garlic and various herbs I grow myself, with some lemon juice and a touch of vinegar (apple cider or Malt, whichever I fancy suits the particularly salad) and drizzle that.

But yeah....of course thats my opinion, and to be honest, im yet to meet another godamn human being who despises cheese....everyone seems to love it. I do like it melted on toast, but its a totally different substance when melted.

But yeah....the satisfaction and mood-boost achieved from eating a large salad instead of some crap in the oven is divine. I never eat crap, though I did as a child and I am a thorough advocate of the "EAT MOAR HELFY FOODZ LOL" brigade. Does wonders for your mind, body and soul.

Great thread!