• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Ephedrine and Depression

Transcendence

Bluelighter
I know there is a link between ephedrine use and depression. Ephedrine is an analog of methamphetamine and depletes dopamine and norepinephrine (although obviously not nearly to the extent that meth does). If you use ephedrine often, I'm curious how it has affected your mood.

I only use ephedrine occasionally. Lately I find that I prefer it to caffeine because it's much "smoother" and doesn't leave me jittery or anxious even at high doses. In fact, it seems to almost calm me down. I've not noticed prolonged depression following ephedrine use. But while I'm on it, I've noticed that I'll have short interludes of a few minutes length in which I'll suddenly feel shockingly bad about nothing in particular. This quickly dissipates so it's not really a big deal.

I'm also not a regular user of ephedrine, but swallow 25 mg before work if I'm sleep deprived. It makes me feel normal (like I've gotten 8 hours of solid sleep), not jittery and anxious like caffeine as you mentioned. Additionally, it doesn't make me urinate every hour like a cup of coffee will. I guess this can be attributed to the fact that it's not ingested as a liquid or it possibly being less potent of a diuretic. I swallow another 25 mg at lunch and I'm already home before any form of a crash sets in. I've never felt any sort of depression whatsoever after ephedrine use, though I can see it being a possibility at higher doses or if I made a habit of it.

I started to notice that I become highly depressed after ephedrine starts to wear off. So much so that I don`t use it any more.

That's really interesting guys, I find the exact same effects hit me. I find myself very stimulated, but not overly--with the proper dose for myself--but I do enjoy all of the benefits that you mentioned, such as the smooth come up and overall clear-headed feeling all while being stimulated.
I worked in an industrial paint store when I was a bit younger, and it was my stimulant of choice. Everyone was big coffee drinkers at my work (and industrial paint store; heavy work), but after a while I couldn't be bothered with caffeine. I've also never had any negative effects from long term usage, keeping in mind I never went over the top with my doses (25mg or less).
At the time I was experiencing severe anxiety and depression and I noticed I could no longer drink coffee due to the jittery nature and I felt more of a cardio load with caffeine and it really cranked up my anxiety. However, after I started taking ephedrine I noticed all of these negative effects disappear and it was able to get along fine with my anxiety, it was a life-saver for me while I worked at that one place. Overall, I think ephedrine is a great alternative to caffeine for those who cannot tolerate the side-effects.