• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Wearing A Seatbelt

JiminiPimini

Bluelighter
I thought it would be beneficial to the forum is i started a thread about the benefits of wearing a seatbelt. Many people in my country shrug off the seatbelt, but they shouldnt. Seatbelts are a proven tool for vehicular safety and have saved me personally on a few different occasions.

Is it uncool to wear a seatbelt?

Absolutely not. Many younger drivers are afraid if they wear a seatbelt their peers will they they are "uncool" or "square". But that simply is not the case. It's cool to be alive without head wound trauma. Also there are many ways to spruce up your seatbelts fashion. Do yourself a favor and check it out!

seat-belt-cover-9.jpg

Why else should i wear a seatbelt?

Over 40,000 people die every year in car accidents, which is the leading cause of death for people under the age of 35. Check out the information on this site, which i have found to be very helpful.

http://ehs.okstate.edu/kopykit/seatbelt.htm

Well, I dont want to sound TOO preachy so i will leave it at that.

Does anyone else have a seatbelt story? Or questions for me about seatbelts or vehicular safety? Please feel free to post or private message me.

-Jim

My stepfather told me a story about how he wasn't wearing a seat belt in the passenger's seat and someone hit their car. He ended up smashing his knee on the dashboard, in which he received $1,000 in repercussion for his injuries... That he caused because he was dumb enough to not wear a seat belt. I'm not dumb enough to take that chance. Good post, by the way.

I find a lot of children , as well as my self when i was younger, found the shoulder strap quite uncomfortable and felt like its cutting into my neck. Thats why they only end up wearing the lap part.

But they do definately Save lives and are Essential and a great invention.
Airbags however... im a bit skeptical of those. Added shock if you ask me too.

YES. The shoulder angle of the belt can be uncomfortable and obnoxious if you arent tall enough. There are however contraptions now that change the angle of the horizontal / diagnol fold, bringing the diagonal strap lower, keeping it away from the neck and keeping it over the chest area where its less likely to irritate the skin.

for more information you can read about it at this website.

http://www.seatbeltmasters.com/

Ah... If I hadn't been wearing my seatbelt I would have died this past Sunday... Some ass ran a light and hit me going about 50 mph. My car was a total loss, I walked away from it. Seat belts are the coolest thing ever.

enjoy life, wear a seatbelt.

im sure all sorts of seatbelt stories will surface out of no where. ive been plowed by cars a few times, and each time that little strap has allowed me to remain alive. yet some people still dont use them.

i hate it when people get pissed about the beeping in newer cars that occurs when a passenger isnt wearing their seatbelt. that beeps irritation is what saves lives.

a few months back a neighbour swerved to miss a deer and ended up rolling the car, the way it landed in the ditch it was upside down and jammed in so neither drivers side or passenger side could open. Had he not had his seat belt on he would have had a pretty bad concusion, if not worse, it held him in place till someone got there and broke in through the boot and by this time everything was in place to get him out safely. Seat belts are cool, we also have on the spot fines here for not wearing them. For kids though you can buy a sleeve which goes over the seatbelt and lowers the level so not cutting into the neck and making it more comfortable.
save your life, save someone elses always buckle up :D

Yeah I find them really uncomfy :( and there was a time when I just got into the habit of never wearing one cus it just felt too restrictive..

I started wearing them again when I got pulled over by the cops for not wearing one, he didnt fine me or anything just gave me this massive lecture on how unsafe it is to drive without one.

I find a lot of children , as well as my self when i was younger, found the shoulder strap quite uncomfortable and felt like its cutting into my neck. Thats why they only end up wearing the lap part.

Agreed! It took me until I was 15 or 16 before it was relatively "comfortable" ... the stupid seatbelt ALWAYS hurt :( :(
That being said, I always wore it anyway. I'm not going to risk my life!

wow, isn't this all like reaaaaally obvious?

my belt goes on before the car moves and comes off after the car stopped, without fail. every single time.

I always wear a seatbelt. So habitual I don't even think about it-its the first thing I do when I get in a car. No second thoughts :)

Its a matter of law in Australia... an old prime minister got fined for not wearing a seatbelt here once!

But yes. I think you would have to be an idiot not to wear one!

With every "privilege" you have comes a consequence, or enforcement, you receive. Just think about that. You can't go around having a car and driving like a maniac and not following the rules of the road unless you want to put yourself or others at risk of pain or death. Same goes with the seat belt. Just wear the damn thing. Save yourself the money if you ever get pulled over.

Something I've always wondered is why there are not seatbelts on public transportation. I stumble/lose balance about 20 times a commute on the bus, especially if there's a shitty bus driver. True buses wouldn't be too damaged if they hit a car, but what if it hit something else? I think school buses should have them at the very least.

Why not wear helmets in cars too? I'm sure that they would save the lives of people who would otherwise die of head injuries in car accidents.

Something I've always wondered is why there are not seatbelts on public transportation. I stumble/lose balance about 20 times a commute on the bus, especially if there's a shitty bus driver. True buses wouldn't be too damaged if they hit a car, but what if it hit something else? I think school buses should have them at the very least.
All the school buses in my town had them but no one wore them. I did up until maybe 4th or 5th grade, when it was "uncool" and "babyish" to wear them. 8) However, now, if I were to go on a bus that had at least a lap belt, I would wear it. Didn't feel very safe a few years ago not wearing one while riding the public transportation in Buffalo.

Why not wear helmets in cars too? I'm sure that they would save the lives of people who would otherwise die of head injuries in car accidents.

Hahahahaha, the helmet would deter from your ability to watch the road! You can't turn your head as effectively with a helmet on inside of a car. There just isn't enough room for it.