• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc abilify and alcohol

grover99

Greenlighter
hi
my doctor gave me a presciption for abilify. 2mg a day to start
for depression ,anxiety.

i read that you are not supposed to drink alcohol while on abilify

3 nights a week i drink about 10 beers each night, 30 a week. 6% alcohol stuff.
will the abilify kill the alcohol buzz effects ?
is there a dangerous interaction ?

i used to take 2.5mg zyprexa for intermittent psychosis, not everyday but once a month.

he also prescribed 1mg lorazepam for anxiety take as required.

thx

From wikipedia's article

Drug interactions

Aripiprazole is a substrate of CYP2D6 and CYP3A4. Coadministration with medications that inhibit (e.g. paroxetine, fluoxetine) or induce (e.g. carbamazepine) these metabolic enzymes are known to increase and decrease, respectively, plasma levels of aripiprazole.[29] As such, anyone taking aripiprazole should be aware that their dosage of aripiprazole may need to be decreased.

Aripiprazole may change the subjective effects of alcohol. One study[30] found that aripiprazole increased the sedative effect and reduced the sense of euphoria normally associated with alcohol consumption. However, another alcohol study[31] found that there was no difference in subjective effect between a placebo group and a group taking aripiprazole.
It doesn't appear to be notably dangerous however until the drug has achieved a steady state plasma concentration (a couple of weeks with a half life of 3 days) take it easy, and get used to how the aripiprazole effects the alcohol inebriation (i.e. start small). This cyp-450 chart will provide some more info on what may effect the metabolism of the aripiprazole.

To be completely safe you can contact your doctor with these questions (remember they work for you) or even a pharmacist will be able to help you out.

edit: Adding in a benzo ups the risk factor as like alcohol it is a CNS depressant. Don't consume both ethanol and lorazepam (especially also on Abilify) until you are extremely comfortable with how both of these drugs act on you and how they compliment one another.