• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

picky eating and smokking

jake99

Bluelighter
I am a very picky eater and i dont eat very many healthy things..................i am also in recvovery from heroin addiction and in a rehab,............i do take vitamins but i just am worried what if i never can eat like other people, and quit smoking., i tried a patch but it didnt help. Do i let this stuff go for now or try to fix it or wait til i am feeling more stable ? i suffer from depression too

I suggest getting into exercise. Jogging, or swimming, or something. The endorphins you get from exercise may help you both with coming off heroin and with your depression.

(I'm not saying it will solve all of your problems, but you should still give it a go).

^ It might help to pick up your appetite, also.

Other than that, you'd have to force yourself to eat better. You have to have proper energy before you get into a full exercise regime. As for quitting smoking, we have a thread here that might be able to give you some pointers on quitting and not going back. For exercise, we have this thread on bodyweight exercise, where you might be able to find exercises suitable to your fitness level. There is also this thread on increasing vitality if exercise is not in your immediate best interest.

If you cannot find what you're looking for in those threads, feel free to post in one of them asking a specific question. In general, smokers have far less of an appetite than non-smokers. My aunt, for example, eats probably two sandwiches and 9-12 cups of coffee a day and whatever we are having for dinner. She eats less than 1000 calories a day and wonders why she has no energy.

You're not very likely to receive many replies here, as there are too many issues to decide what you can do to conquer them all. If you look at each issue separately, you might have a better chance at looking at each one as what it really is.

Good luck with these issues and getting sober, op!

Last edited:
Forget what other people are doing and focus on yourself - look what a balanced diet consists of and mix and match with what works for you. Proteins / Carbs / Fat / Fruit n Veg! At the moment I think your main focus should be on reducing the gear and then slowly concentrating on your diet - if you try to quit the gear, the smokes and a full change in eating habits then your just making things harder on yourself (and are more likely to fail).

Set yourself smaller goals - Don't just think I have to quit the gear, quit the smoking and eat healthy. Set yourself realistic goals and then you will feel great for achieving them - cut down on the gear - eat a bit better - reduce the number of smokes - reduce the gear a bit more - eat a bit better than last week / month. Do it slowly, wait until the changes feel 'normal' and then change (decrease the bad things - increase the good things).

I wish you the best of luck :

I don't know how long you have been into the heroin but if you have the usual constipation associated with opiates then remember to add roughage / fiber to your diet to help 'things' along.

i been off dope for 3 months and tried patch to quit smokin today and failed and i take a multi vitamin but eat no healthy foods , just dont like them....................at least i get exersize.

you're taking on too much at once. Quitting dope is HUGE and quitting nicotine is an enormous hurdle as well. Give it a year or more from your dope quit date before you even consider quitting the cigarettes. Its just not a reasonable expectation to put on yourself

Definitely take small steps, and don't feel the pressure to transform yourself into a perfect athlete/dietician.
The number one thing I can tell you to focus on is WATER. Carry around a huge jug of water all the time, like alll of the time make sure you have a full bottle of water and you will start yourself on a great habit.
In your own time you can incorporate better food choices and physical fitness to cleanse your body, but start giving yourself what you deserve and keep improving.X

blend fruit, greens (like spinach, chard, kale, lettuce etc.), and water in a blender for a few minutes and drink that every day. Use whatever greens and fruit you feel like.

what sort of things do you eat Jake99? maybe there are ways you could add to them bit at a time without feeling pressure into taking so much on at once. As others have said, wait a bit before putting yourself under more pressure, little steps get you there.

Its hard because i like very few healthy foods and i only get choices of what they serve at rehab here or what i can buy at wal mart on a town trip............i rarely eat fruits and veggies, only like a few, and dont eat salads ever........im just scared that even if i can stay clean that from my smoking, eating habits, and not enough exersize that i wont ever be healthy or feel ok . plus im on a lot of psych meds

Eating is an important part of everyones health, thus having a variety of foods you enjoy make it easier to eat healthier. I truly sympathize for the picky eat, because i am not picky at all and when i go to a new restaurant the menu is a playground of possibilities. i was a souschef/pastrychef for 3 years and love food.

My suggestion to you would be trying foods that are similar to what you already know you enjoy. that way you can expand you palate in safe and predictable directions.

as soon as you make the real connection between eating good food and feeling excellent those foods will start to taste better.

Its hard because i like very few healthy foods and i only get choices of what they serve at rehab here or what i can buy at wal mart on a town trip............i rarely eat fruits and veggies, only like a few, and dont eat salads ever........im just scared that even if i can stay clean that from my smoking, eating habits, and not enough exersize that i wont ever be healthy or feel ok . plus im on a lot of psych meds

They won't allow you anywhere other than Whale-mart for your food and necessity shopping?! SCANDAL! They are choosing to support a corporation and taking away your rights! I say you fight and have them take you to the farmer's market (or at least a place that has ACTUAL fresh food) instead of Wall-fart. That place is terrible. *holds up picket sign saying "Walmart: Sacrificing Our Jobs!"*

I look at all the salads and stuff that looks nasty to me every day at lunch . so the quit smoking is 2 much atm