• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

How to get calories with less carbs?

zzx

Bluelighter
I have recently decreased the amount of carbs I eat and it's very difficult to eat enough. Basically I eat salads with fish,vegetables and olive oil etc., some rye bread, eggs and blend fruits in sour cream.I try to eat more carbs on the days I train boxing. This combined with a newly started nicotine habit via snus has decreased my weight by 3kg very rapidly and it fucking sucks. I hopped on the scale and went of to buy chocolate straight away :p I find it very hard to eat a lot of that tuna/salad/oil stuff, it makes me feel bloated easily even though the calorie intake is not that much I suspect. Also it makes me feel somewhat slightly hungry quickly and I guess it suggests that I should eat many smaller portions. But what the fuck! I can't be eating every 2hours? Or can I? Before I used to eat like 4 times a day with two huge warm meals. It's somewhat hard to change eating habits :/ As a side note, after I stayed a few nights with my parents and after that with my friends they all said I have pretty unusual eating habits and suggested I may have a tapeworm(lol).

So yeah any good tips getting those calories up without eating all the time? :D Or perhaps I should stick to carbs? Spaghetti?! Can down that shit like there is no tomorrow :!

Load up on the fats and protein if you don't want carbs--But make sure they're healthy fats and healthy proteins like olive oil and beans/legumes.

Carbs are not the devil though as we need some carbs to be healthy in the long run.

I mean, if I were you and were strictly looking to increase my calorie consumption (wow I wish this were my problem!), I'd load up on the mayo; cheese (if I ate it); higher calorie items like avocados, oil, and nuts; ...

Also, I know the search engine is a bit finicky at the moment*, try using it to find other threads very similar to this one: You might get some better answers while waiting for people to come along and see this one.

Lastly, eating every couple hours is what we should we doing! Eating 2-3 large meals is not beneficial for your digestive system.

*The only reason I didn't close this seeing as there are tons of "how do I gain weight" threads. :p

If you're eating low carb it's usually best to eat a lot of fats. Just replacing it with protein is probably not going to work well. Personally I don't think there's a problem with saturated fats and it's a lot easier to get calories that way when cutting out the carbs.

If you're eating low carb it's usually best to eat a lot of fats. Just replacing it with protein is probably not going to work well. Personally I don't think there's a problem with saturated fats and it's a lot easier to get calories that way when cutting out the carbs.

I know that personally, eating too many fats leaves me bloated. I used to be bloated all the time when I ate meat. So, just remember to switch it up. However, my initial and final reaction to this thread is that eventually, you're going to need carbohydrates. It's what our body uses first and it's what our body needs for energy in the long haul.

I know that personally, eating too many fats leaves me bloated. I used to be bloated all the time when I ate meat. So, just remember to switch it up. However, my initial and final reaction to this thread is that eventually, you're going to need carbohydrates. It's what our body uses first and it's what our body needs for energy in the long haul.

I'm inclined to agree. I took a more accurate weight measure in the morning and it's in truth more like -3.5kg. Also I was looking through my old photos and I looked healthier a few months back with moreweight, actually much healthier. Although there is more definition and the muscle is still there but I look a bit worn out and "skinny" on the face. I'm at 170/58.5, didn't try to cut anything it just kind of happened. Fuck this low carb stuff. Just wanted to check it out because of all the hype :/ I'll look into getting more fats, probably buy some nuts and get back on those carbs because the photos somewhat freaked me out.

Thanks for your input!

Last edited:
i am a diabetic and pretty much eat a very low carb diet. i agree with what is posted above - you have to add FATS and protein to your diet. your body gets accustomed pretty quickly from getting it's energy from carbs to getting it's energy from fat and protein - and besides you have much more energy when you do this way of eating than you ever would from high amounts of carbs.

what i do is eat ghee, olive oil, coconut oil daily. also i eat avocados and lots of nuts. nuts will really add weight if you eat enough of them.

my diet of choice is pretty much meat and salads and i have found that i had to add some carbs back in my diet or i get too thin even though i feel great. what i've been doing recently is eating popcorn with ghee and coconut oil on it and i have also added beans and a little bit of potato. this has helped me gain some weight. also drinking a glass or 2 of red wine will help too - but it makes me very hungry!

i have never been a fan of bread or pasta really and have pretty much eaten it just because it was there and other people wanted me to make it. however after going grain free for a while (with the exception of popcorn) i find that any time i eat bread (even sprouted grain bread or whole grain bread) that i do not feel very good. my stomach gets bloated and first i have the runs then constipation. this from a single slice of very thin crust pizza!!! i also don't do very well with cooked veggies - they just taste BLAH to me now.

sardines are great! i mix them up with a tiny bit of mayo (home-made is best! i like to add basil and garlic) and then i put them in salad. fruits are very good too if you can eat them - i eat a lot of strawberries and i think bananas would be very good for you since you are not doing this for your blood sugar.

make sure to eat something like a banana or perhaps a small bowl of oatmeal before you go to your exercise sessions. it will give you quick energy! i have to do this before going on a long run or hike or my blood sugar will go too low. long acting carbs are best like whole grains. carbs are good to use right before working out just give them a little time to digest.

also it is good to wait at least 4 hours for your food to digest before adding more food to your digestive system. many people do not ever allow their food to totally digest before adding new food so there is constant digestion going on and this takes your body's energy. when you eat a meal it is good to start on an empty stomach and then the benefits of the digestive juices, etc. will be fully realized and your digestion will be better than if your body has to constantly be digesting and you are adding more and more food to the food that is still in there... (does this make sense?) lol

eta: when i first cut out grains and went to only meat and veggies i was hardly ever hungry! it was really weird - i had a hard time eating enough to maintain my weight because i felt full all the time. later i got used to it. but the most interesting side effect of eating less carbs was that i had SO MUCH MORE ENERGY!!! seems my body prefers this to the harder to digest grains i used to load up on. now when i eat something with grains or starchy i can tell i feel more sluggish. i also feel 'clearer headed' and have no mucous!

Last edited:
eta: when i first cut out grains and went to only meat and veggies i was hardly ever hungry! it was really weird - i had a hard time eating enough to maintain my weight because i felt full all the time. later i got used to it. but the most interesting side effect of eating less carbs was that i had SO MUCH MORE ENERGY!!! seems my body prefers this to the harder to digest grains i used to load up on. now when i eat something with grains or starchy i can tell i feel more sluggish. i also feel 'clearer headed' and have no mucous!

This is one of the reasons I was curious to decrease carbs. From time to time I have a lot of trouble with eating. Fatigue after eating and extreme rage from time to time if I haven't eaten. Fatigue only occurs after the first lunch after that I'm all good. Also the "rage" is a somewhat serious problem because it affects my behaviour a lot, I have a rule that I don't do any important social interaction hungry. My headspace in the rage isn't anything pretty either, basically I just ponder how to mutilate my fellow human beings (there is 0 chance for this to turn into action 8() and I'm highly irritable. This used to be a lot better when I trained like an animal and ate shit tons of food like clockwork. Less carbs actually works wonders on the fatigue, I can knock my self out with a high carb meal if I'm not well fed before that. So yeah I will try to eat less carbs in the morning and load up in the evening..I guess

Last edited:
for me it is best to eat carbs (like potatoes for instance) in the morning when i am going to go on a long hike or run. then i can put the carbs to use so to speak by exercise.

also i noticed that before when i used to eat a lot of whole grains and stuff (esp. brown rice) with beans that i would get very bad gas. i always thought it was the beans. turns out it was the rice and/or other grains causing my gas! beans alone or with salad don't give me gas very often.

i've seen my mom and sisters and also my bf eat a big high carb meal and then have to go lay down! i would learn from this myself. if something affected me this way it means my blood sugar had gone very high and it was also putting a big strain on my digestion to the point that my body needed all it's energy just to digest the meal!!! lol

i don't get the rage thing myself - but i do get low blood sugar (since i take insulin) if i wait too long before a meal. i'm wondering if you should check your blood sugar?

i don't get the rage thing myself - but i do get low blood sugar (since i take insulin) if i wait too long before a meal. i'm wondering if you should check your blood sugar?

I've experienced secondhand (not me, someone else) rages when a person is too hungry. Not fun. However, I still stand by my argument. Looking good just isn't in it for me.

Also, ratgirl, you know that carbs are okay for you, right? Just not refined ones and not refined sugars.