• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Physical Therapy For Scoliosis

TheLostBoys

Bluelighter
I have scoliosis & my orthopedic doctor has sent me to physical therapy. She said since im in pain so much, she want to see if physical therapy can strengthen my muscles around my spine. I have has 7 sessions of PT & every time I leave the place, im in worse pain then the time before. I get very fatigued & within an hour afterwards, im in serious pain. I hate the fact I gotta go home & lay in bed with heating pads & take several doses of pain meds just to lower my pain.

I am thinking of calling my physical therapist & calling it quits for the rest of the sessions. I have an appointment with my ortho doctor on Sept 9th & will explain everything to her then. I also sent her an email last Friday but she never got back to me. Is it a good idea to just quit physical therapy because I am hurting so bad after each session? I also told my therapist about the pain but they think its not as bad, I hate people like this that think therapy is the cure of everything.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Should I just quit?

When you work out to strengthen muscles, can we expect pain? Yes.

When you perform physical therapy to correct a spinal problem, can we expect pain? Ohhhh, yes.

I think it's up to you whether you can tell the difference in how you're standing or not.

When you work out to strengthen muscles, can we expect pain? Yes.

When you perform physical therapy to correct a spinal problem, can we expect pain? Ohhhh, yes.

I think it's up to you whether you can tell the difference in how you're standing or not.

I find that stretching out & walking is very helpful. As far as correcting the spinal problem of scoliosis threw physical therapy has already been proven that the spine cant be improved threw studies. Only thing is the muscles can be strengthened, only problem is everyone is different & it seems they categorize of everyone the same by giving them the same exercises for therapy.
When in therapy, the muscles are pushed up against the spine which hurts. I just dont see any improvement ime.

^ As long as you're getting exercise and keeping your bodyfat low, you should be able to work through scoliosis. Unless it's really, really bad. But it doesn't sound like it's terribly bad.

^ As long as you're getting exercise and keeping your bodyfat low, you should be able to work through scoliosis. Unless it's really, really bad. But it doesn't sound like it's terribly bad.

Im 5ft 8 & weigh 131 pounds. Im a skinny guy & my primary doctor said im lucky im not overweight. As for working threw it, I cant stand longer than an hour or I get really fatigued. I cant sit in alot of different chairs because it kills my back. Something people should realize is that everyones pain is different. Thats what my primary told me, which is cool, he understands, he says, what pain my not hurt one individual of the same caliber might really hurt another person of the same pain magnitude.

While you're at your PT appointment, couldn't you tell you therapist that it hurts you afterward to work so hard during? Maybe s/he'll tone it down a little.

TLB, I think, since you're thin, that if you had more weight on you, having the physical therapist work on you wouldn't hurt so much. Just tell him/her to be easier or else you're not coming back lol.