• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

It's Time to End the War on Salt

phr

Ex-Bluelighter
It's Time to End the War on Salt
Melinda Wenner Moyer
Scientific American

For decades, policy makers have tried and failed to get Americans to eat less salt. In April 2010 the Institute of Medicine urged the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to regulate the amount of salt that food manufacturers put into products; New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg has already convinced 16 companies to do so voluntarily. But if the U.S. does conquer salt, what will we gain? Bland french fries, for sure. But a healthy nation? Not necessarily.

This week a meta-analysis of seven studies involving a total of 6,250 subjects in the American Journal of Hypertension found no strong evidence that cutting salt intake reduces the risk for heart attacks, strokes or death in people with normal or high blood pressure. In May European researchers publishing in the Journal of the American Medical Association reported that the less sodium that study subjects excreted in their urine—an excellent measure of prior consumption—the greater their risk was of dying from heart disease. These findings call into question the common wisdom that excess salt is bad for you, but the evidence linking salt to heart disease has always been tenuous.

Fears over salt first surfaced more than a century ago. In 1904 French doctors reported that six of their subjects who had high blood pressure—a known risk factor for heart disease—were salt fiends. Worries escalated in the 1970s when Brookhaven National Laboratory's Lewis Dahl claimed that he had "unequivocal" evidence that salt causes hypertension: he induced high blood pressure in rats by feeding them the human equivalent of 500 grams of sodium a day. (Today the average American consumes 3.4 grams of sodium, or 8.5 grams of salt, a day.)

(continued)

Link!

Yeah, glad to see this being discussed. I've been chastised about my salt intake all my life but never listened. Nowadays I base my diet on what my body craves, and it craves a good amount of salt.

Nothing wrong with salt, but I am not a proponent of upwards of two grams of the stuff a day--It does dehydrate you and most people don't drink enough water as it is.

I don't normally eat a lot of it (usually only have a gram or less in a day), but when I want it, I don't worry too much about intake. :p

Not to mention, only a very small percentage of people (~5%) are "salt sensitive" to where it would cause high blood pressure (according to my professor who's a Registered Dietitian).

I don't think there is any reason to fear salt unless there is an individual sensitivity to it or it is consumed in absurd amounts. Most of the high sodium foods that people consume are processed junk, so that is not a good way of assessing the risks of sodium intake.

A recent study showed a correlation between cardiovascular problems and a person's ratio of sodium to potassium intake. A high sodium diet with limited potassium intake is unhealthy.

But, you are correct. There should be no war on salt. Potassium and sodium are both technically 'salt.' education saves more lives than a seemingly irrational war against a substance. People will do what they want with their bodies. If I want to add salt, (NaCl) I will dammit! But I'll drink some milk or eat some tomatoes or celery later to balance it out. (I'm doomed to reading nutrition labels for life, and happened to notice earlier this week that milk, tomatoes, and celery all have decent amounts of potassium.)

^ To add my two cents, the majority of whole-foods have decent levels of potassium. :p Kind of like how oranges are seen as the number one for Vitamin C while many others have high amounts--It's the same for potassium being that bananas are not the best nor the only source, as far as I know.

i love salt

i also love milk, celery and tomatoes. ... win

What's salt got to do with milk, celery and tomatoes? ^^ Am I missing something? Is salt and milk a nic,e combination?

I hate salt, as it is anyway and add it to nothing that I eat.

What's salt got to do with milk, celery and tomatoes? ^^ Am I missing something? Is salt and milk a nic,e combination?

Lol, it is not a nice combination. You missed something:

A recent study showed a correlation between cardiovascular problems and a person's ratio of sodium to potassium intake. A high sodium diet with limited potassium intake is unhealthy.

[...] If I want to add salt, (NaCl) I will dammit! But I'll drink some milk or eat some tomatoes or celery later to balance it out. (I'm doomed to reading nutrition labels for life, and happened to notice earlier this week that milk, tomatoes, and celery all have decent amounts of potassium.)

To much salt makes me feel dried out, I get tiny cuts in my mouth, and makes me feel generally acidic. Perhaps a sign that eating a whole bag of potato chips is not a great idea...

I love salt. Its good. Especially pink Himalayan salt. Mmmmm

you dont put salt on eggs? Or fries? Or steak? Or any of the many many things that taste so bland and shit without salt it is almost not edible?

Food with out salt is like body with out soul. I think there is no problem to take salt bu the problem is with us. We have to take more water in order to overcome the dehydrating effect of salt.

Food with out salt is like body with out soul. I think there is no problem to take salt bu the problem is with us. We have to take more water in order to overcome the dehydrating effect of salt.
Ding ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Seriously though, people don't realize how dehydrated they are until they start drinking more water and suddenly, it's like, "WOW, my headache is gone! The feeling of lethargy is GONE! Wow!" I know I was drinking about 80oz of water and getting awful headaches. Someone suggested I drink more water. So, every time I got a headache, I drank a bit more water. I now drink 200-300oz of water in a day. (And before you talk about water intoxication, I don't drink this all at once. Water intoxication is if you sit there and drink a gallon in a short time span. 8()

But yeah, if you level out your salt intake with whole foods that naturally have potassium, and if you drink enough water, you're golden. I'm not suggesting people start eating salt by the gram, but a couple grams of NaCl won't be harmful if you balance it out. :)

BTW, to the poster who said fries and junk taste bland without salt: Try adding garlic or onion powder/granules to those bland fries next time. Or use quality potatoes. :p

The Japanese have one of the most sodium-heavy diets in the world, but they're the world's longest-lived people, and have lower rates of heart-related morbidity and mortality than most other counties with similar standards of living. It's because they have a diet that's also high in other cation electrolytes, especially potassium, but also magnesium, zinc, and the trace metals and boron. High blood pressure and strokes are big health problems in Japan, but not on enough of a scale to have a very detrimental impact on their average quality of life.

The point is, cardiovascular health is multifactorial, and whether or not a diet high in salt is bad for you depends on lots of factors, some of which you have control over and some of which you don't. Here's what you must understand. Your body works diligently to keep all ions (a.k.a. electrolytes) within very strict ranges of concentration, in all your body's fluid. Sodium is probably the easiest positely charged ion to manage, because the bulk of it is found free in the blood, plasma, and extracellular fluid, which is all really one ocean, i.e. not locked away behind cell membranes and ion channels. You take in too much sodium, your hypothalamus senses it, and tells your kidneys to dump more out. The opposite if you take in too little, which is unheard of nowadays, but was certainly common for our evolutionary ancestors.

Salt becomes an issue when the regulatory mechanisms for maintaining a strict concentration of sodium in the body break, or are in jeopardy. The most common way this happens is when your kidneys are shot, which is a common outcome of diabetes, or just an unhealthy life in general. If your kidneys can't unload excess sodium as fast as you take it in, you're going to have a surplus of it. This draws more water into your blood osmotically, and expands your fluid volume. This raises your blood pressure (setting you up for a stroke), and makes your heart work harder (setting you up for a heart attack). If you ever develop symptoms after eating a ton of salt, especially swelling in your legs, get your kidneys checked, pronto.

So what about the People of the Sun and their potassium intake? Well, another way your body has for managing levels of ions is by exchanging them across cell membranes through revolving door style channels. One of the most common ones of these, which all cells have, are channels which exchange one potassium for one sodium. If the extracellular fluid has plenty of potassium (which is concentrated mostly in cells), the body can use some of these channels on certain tissues to move excess sodium easily between the body's compartments of fluid.

Bottom line: if you eat a balanced, healthy diet low in unhealthy fats, and take care of your kidneys, abusing salt will not kill you. Eat a diet where sodium is one of the only ions you're eating, and your diet and lifestyle are otherwise unkind to your blood vessels and kidneys, you might want to hold the salt.

^ Very well written, MyDoorsAreOpen, and also VERY true. :)

Now, anyone who has just been skimming this thread, go back and SLOWLY reread the post above mine. :p

you dont put salt on eggs? Or fries? Or steak? Or any of the many many things that taste so bland and shit without salt it is almost not edible?

Hell no! I would surmise that you only feel they taste shit due to your excessive reliance on salt as seasoning. I can absolutely assure you that these foods (I don't eat red meat) taste great on their own if you were to quit your salt addition over time! I know exactly what you mean though mate. I used to HAVE to add pepper to absolutely everything as it tasted so shit without it/seasoning, but over time I gradually reduced my seasoning and discovered the many facets of flavour and delicate nuances of taste in everything I eat.
Salt is absolutely foul though, and I cant really understand why anyone would add it to anything they eat! (Obviously a matter of opinion, before i'm flamed)
Sometimes, like once in a blue moon if I ever eat something like fries, I may add the tiniest little bit of salt, but thats probably about once a year and I usually regret said addition!

I still do use alot of pepper though! But the thought of adding salt to a fried egg makes me want to rip my testicles out and stuff them up my nostrils.

Yeah, glad to see this being discussed. I've been chastised about my salt intake all my life but never listened. Nowadays I base my diet on what my body craves, and it craves a good amount of salt.

Ditto. The science is always so conflicted, it seems almost psychotic to base your diet off of theoretical conjecture. Lately the only dietary rule I follow: eat to FEEL good.

I can understand a shake of salt on eggs or french fries, but steak? If you have to put anything at all on your meat, including "steak sauce" crap, then you need to buy much better quality meat and learn to cook it correctly. I would rather stab myself in the eye with a fork than shake salt all over a juicy & marbled steak.

I can understand a shake of salt on eggs or french fries, but steak? If you have to put anything at all on your meat, including "steak sauce" crap, then you need to buy much better quality meat and learn to cook it correctly. I would rather stab myself in the eye with a fork than shake salt all over a juicy & marbled steak.
Lol, I was going to say something along these lines, but felt the plant-eater should be quiet. :p

Your body works diligently to keep all ions (a.k.a. electrolytes) within very strict ranges of concentration, in all your body's fluid.

clarkstrangelove.gif