View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Phenethylamines Why Mescaline Is Not Found On the Black Market

Morninggloryseed

Bluelight Crew
There is a common myth going around that mescaline is easily obtainable on the street, usually found as an adulterant in ecstasy pills. This is one of several popular and completely false myths about drugs that are commonly heard. Mescaline is not even active in doses below 150 to 200 milligrams, with 500 milligrams of the sulfate salt being a full dose. That quantity of powder is too large to fit in the pills commonly found today (with the addition of MDA/MDMA/MDE of course). In fact, mescaline is the weakest major psychedelic there is, except ibogaine (or the harmala alkaloids if you want to count them.) That right there rules out mescaline being used in pills.
Because mescaline is so weak, it is way too expensive for underground cooks to make. In other words, no one is synthesizing it for the drug market. Think about it...you can make one gram of MDMA or MDA and get 7 good doses, or make one gram of mescaline and get 2 to 3 doses. That sure doesn't sound very practical, not to mention the fact that it is not easy to make. That means that if there were really mescaline in pills it could only come from two places...Nature or a chemical supplies company. These however would not be practical sources of mescaline either.
Mescaline is found in the peyote cactus, but it is not a good source anymore for mescaline. The peyote cactus is nearly extinct and now only found in Mexico and a small part of western Texas (You friend is bullshitting you if he/she says you can find them everywhere in Arizona or New Mexico). Even the Indians who used to use it are now switching to the San Pedro and Peruvian Torch Cacti. In addition, a peyote cactus takes 10 or more years to mature and you need at least 6 for a trip, so there is no big underground peyote growing operation going on. Safe to say, peyote would not be the source of this "mescaline" people believe are in the more trippy pills.
As for the San Pedro and Peruvian Torch cacti being a source for this "mescaline" in the pills...You need a whole lot of cacti for a dose (a pound or more fresh), as there is not a lot of mescaline present. That would be very expensive, both in the cost of raising or buying the cacti, and the manual labor spent extracting the mescaline and purifying it. All so they can lace some pills? I don't think so. That just doesn't happen. Besides, mescaline is like GOLD to people who really know their psychedelics. Why would somebody sell it in a pill as MDMA when there would be a huge market for it as it were? Presently, I am stuck drinking a cup of cactus slime if I want to trip on mescaline, unless I perform a chemical extraction and purification.
It can't be pharmaceutical mescaline sulfate, because the market price is around $150 per gram (2 to 3 doses) from a chemical supply house like Sigma-Aldrich. In addition, you must have authorization from the DEA to buy it, because it is a schedule 1 drug. Not likely pill dealers would get their hands on any. Obviously that rules out that final possible source. Bottom line is mescaline is not found in pills. I truly wish it was, but it isn't.
[ 14 November 2002: Message edited by: morninggloryseed ]

I know this is actually the correct forum for this, but you might think about crossposting it to the "new to XTC" and/or "Ecstasy Discussion" board. There have been several threads just in the last 2 weeks that heave dealt with this and might help anyone who wants to know why their pill was so "trippy..." this is a very common myth and I think more people need to know about it...
------------------
Harlequin
~Esta arte me encanta, eu non posso mais sair.~

right on....
I hope people read this.....
It is really funny, I hear that shit all the time. It is just stupid.
There are a few sources for some of the more exotic syths. out there, and maybe this is where some of the confusion rests. It seems like "dude...it is almost like mescaline" turns into " dude.... it is mescaline" quite often. When you try to explain what DOM or DOB are to these some of these people, they just refuse to believe it was what they had. I guess it is just too cool to say you have done it. Plus if you really believe you are going to take mescaline, and you read trip reports all day long about it, and someone hands you acid and tells you it is mescaline...well.....set and setting.
Kids these days...I tell ya.

Are DOM and DOB really around, cuz I never had any.....you guys are right about the Mescaline though

*Somebody* is getting it. There are a few fresh reports on Erowid about both substances. I know both went around the last burning man gathering. Hell, everything is around if you know the right people.
------------------
"I have discovered that common sense is quite uncommon"-My name here

Go back to the top and read again. Sheesh.
------------------

your right about the mescalin, and although it is very hard to get san pedro or peyote, it can and has been found... my friend ate a button, not a pill, not a powder, but actual cactus flesh... and tripped for a long time, yes i know its extremely rare, but on occasion people do find it....
a couple years ago a master LSD chemist was arrested and they found a small amount of synthetic mescaline in his lab, he didnt make it to sell or even to take, he did it because its such an extremely hard synthesis he wanted to prove he could make it... hes in prison now so i dont think you will ever find synthetic mescaline, you might find mescaline that was extracted from cacti, but that falls into the extremely rare category
Peace!
------------------
"What about china? Have you seen the Great Wall?... All walls are great if the roof doesn't fall" -Bjork & Thom York

But dude like I took this pill man and I was like hallucinating so it must of been meskulin cuz thats what my dealer told me and he said there waz like coke and heroin in there too...
JUST KIDDING - DO NOT FLAME!

High Mike.
smile.gif
Good to see you around here.
------------------

i've been around here for a right good time... now you are one the one prone to disappearances, ever heard of AIM, mike? HUH? HUH?!?!?!?!???!?!?!?!?!

There are a few places on the web that sell San Pedro cuttings, and sometimes Garden departments of hardware stores have them - I doubt anyone will know that you intend to eat the thing.

one time i went to the local plant and cactus shop and asked them for san pedro and got enough dirty looks to know that they knew exactly why i wanted it, and if they actually did have it, it was for personal consumption (the shop's owner is one of the most visibly burned-out people in the neighborhood).

hmm, eminem can get mescaline? eminem also claims that E drains your spinal fluid. i don't trust his words about drugs for shit... (sick rhymes, tho)