• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

broken bones....

headfuck123

Bluelighter
About 6 years ago I loved skateboarding and was quite good at it but gave it up as I grew older. i started to get into exploring drugs and basically lost all hobbies apart from getting wasted and doing nothing.

so i decided to start skating again with a few friends. First day back i fractured my radial head (bone near your elbow if im correct). i was put in a sling and exactly a week later i went out with my friends while they skated about and we just chilled, smoking a few joints and what not. i decided to get on my friends skateboard and not be defeated by this plank of wood! But I ended up breaking my ankle!

i still had a week left of exams and apart from that i was housebound which drove me insane as i couldnt get high or even have a cigarette! i would say before all this i sufferd from depression but all this is making it a hell of a lot worse and i just dont know what to do with myself because the thought of having this cast on my leg for another 3 or 4 weeks is unbareable.

so my question would be. Has anyone been in the same situation and if so what can i do to speed up the healing process, take my mind off it and generally feel better?

Uhm...my only advice is be happy you have a cast and have the chance to heal

I broke my hand a long time ago boxing, never let it heal, broke it again shortly after. Now i can barley open it without it twitching and I cant even write like a typical person, I have to hold a pen between my two pointer fingers and guide it with my thumb

so i guess my point is just be happy to have the chance to heal and recover, dont be depressed youll be good to go in no time

in the meantime while youre stocked up try to get some kind of hobby....i recently started writing in a journal that helps pass time for me

fuck sorry to hear that man. yea i know i should be greatful that it isnt worse than it already is. but im just not used to being at home so much. im usually always out doing something. just feel really restless and frustrated.

yea i know there isnt much that can be done. this thread was more just to share my thoughts as i felt like going fucking metal. So better to get stuff off my chest and discuss it with people than sit and feel like shit. hmm ill have a look at that thread you mentioned

A better place to share your thoughts is in your blog. :)

I figure I'll leave this open for a little while to see if you get anything beneficial, but there isn't much more to do aside from the sitting hobbies you enjoy, and to give it time.

<snip> Rent a bunch of good movies and your set

^^someone will probably edit that*

I remember when i was younger always goin to the skatepark with a cast on my arm

If you think someone will edit it, do not post it. - AP

Last edited:
it isnt that painful anymore so im trying to limit filling my body with painkillers to speed my recovery. and my luck got even worse as my "buddy" who has had a speady supply for months has all of a sudden been unable to get bud and he goes on holiday tomorro :( but im finding that watching tv, movies, reading, sleeping and surfing the net is helping to pass the time. two weeks left, then i get this cast off :)

I've been in a similar situation, got laid up after smashing an arm, a thigh and my ankles in a wreck. All I can say is stay in contact with friends as much as possible (online and IRL), and try to get them to come over. Lot's of TV and movies.

TV and movie marathons for sure, and have friend's over. Also I would use this period to do something productive, bear in mind that smoking cigarettes inhibits bone growth. I have broken nearly every limb, some twice. On my last accident I used it as a chance to give up smoking cigarettes ( pointless habit) as it would slow down bone growth. Saw it as kind of a lucky break (in the long run) :) !

get my cast off on thursday. :) arm is back to normal but i think ill walk strange for a while. got through it by reading, drawing, tv, movies and meeting up with friends on the weekend. unfortunatly i started smoking again just before this all happened. (had stopped for 3 months) so that will probably limit bone growth like you said ^^

I'd like to see some substantial evidence indicating cigarette smoking inhibits bone density manifestation. It sounds like yet another anti-smoking mantra devised to put people off smoking.

I don't doubt the ill-effects of smoking tobacco, and I'm not partial to it, however I always like to see evidence before believing a claim someone made on the internet.

Yeah man, upon further research, I have since found this to be true.
Interesting! Cheers for that.

I used to smoke like a chimney, never had any issue giving up though. No trouble whatsoever....lucky? Who knows.

I've never broken a bone before, used to be a sponsored skateboarder though. Never really bailed badly as I was more of a technical-freestyle skater basing my style on the incredible Rodney Mullen and the technical wizardry of Daewon Song!

I'm trying to keep this on topic!

I bet you can't wait to get that cast off! Thinking about it, it's amazing how time flies and it only seems to get quicker as I get older. Its really rather insane.

Is it a bastard to wash? Bet it stinks under there!

I suggest you should get your skates again and go out for skating as you can't be defeated by this piece of plank.
What a madness you have in your mind. Why didn't to rest after you fractured your elbow? Now this is your outcome and you have to live with it for few weeks. Next time don't touch this evil skate board again.

chicago personal trainer

Last edited:
Or just be more careful until you get used to it again, and wear pads, helmet etc.

Was the broken ankle on the same side as the broken elbow? If not you could probably have got around with a crutch, you'd have looked pretty funny I guess.

I suggest you should get your skates again and go out for skating as you can't be defeated by this piece of plank.
What a madness you have in your mind. Why didn't to rest after you fractured your elbow? Now this is your outcome and you have to live with it for few weeks. Next time don't touch this evil skate board again.

You're correct on one level: take the time out to heal.

However, leaving something you love because you got hurt once (not to mention, something that is good for your body and keeps you active) is probably not going to help in the long run.

OP, just be more careful next time. We're all trying to be your mother here.