• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Cocaine Ritalin with already existent heart palpitations?

hayden2230

Greenlighter
Hey..considering using Ritalin to help me study since I have some important exams coming up..my mate who doesn't use Ritalin any more is stocked up with it so just going to get some off him just wondering how bad the side effects are?? I've tried it before while I was off my head can't remember how it was though haha. I already get heart palpitations after a big night with alcohol which usually come on and off that day, never used to get them just wondering how Ritalin would affect them..i'm not going to take it the days after a big night to try avoid that situation... Cheers for any input

Last edited:
If you're using it at therapeutic doses, typically you wouldn't have any adverse effects. Heart palpitations are pretty normal, most people have them from time to time. Are your chronic? Maybe you can start with a very low dose and monitor the rhythm of your pulse to see how the drug will affect you.

A friend of mine has heart issues and was prescribed Concerta (a time-release formulation of methylphenidate, the drug in Ritalin) and his doctor had his do testing with a cardiologist before prescribing it to him and had a checkup done whenever dosing what changed...and...eventually, when the medication was changed altogether.

Follow the other BLers advice. Start low, as low as you think you can and slowly work your way up. If you notice any chest pain, weakness, shortness of breath, etc, don't take any more Ritalin or other stimulants, relax and see if it resolves itself.