• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Methadone and PH of urine

luvmyPriusHybrid

Greenlighter
I know that urinary acidifiers such as vitamin C (in large doses) can cause your PH level to lower causing your kidneys to excrete the methadone more rapidly.

Doing some research, I read that taking potassium citrate and sodium bicarbonate can increase urine PH....would this cause your kidneys, in turn, to excrete methadone more slowly? My multi-vitamins contain vitamin C, but instead of the Vitamin C being ascorbic acid...it is calcium ascorbate, and ascorbyl palmitate at 300mg. which is only 500% RDA daily value and isn't considered "mega dose" HOWEVER, I do take the vitamins about 5 hours after dosing with methadone.

If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them...thanks guys

Last edited:
I think this is better suited for Other Drugs so let's try it there.

BDD>>>OD

Methadone excretion is closely tied to pH, so as you raise pH (become more alkaline) methadone will be less readily excreted.

As far as which agents do this the best, you've already sort of answered that question for yourself--sodium bicarbonate and potassium citrate both make urine more alkaline.

Sodium bicarbonate is used to increase urine pH in a clinical setting, and is usually started at a dose of approximately 4g orally and then titrated up depending on measured urine pH (maximum 15g/day.)