• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Vicoprofen Cloudy CWE (Solution: "titanium dioxide" in binders turns it milky white)

Wussmonster

Greenlighter
Vicoprofen Cloudy CWE (Solution: "titanium dioxide" in binders turns it milky white)

I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong section, mods feel free to move if you need to.

I've performed many CWE's on regular hydrocodone/apap tabs to great effect. Solution has generally been clear and worked well. Recently I have been prescribed vicoprofen (7.5mg/200mg) and have tried several times to CWE them but got VERY different results compared to the APAP extraction.

Procedure:

Crush Tabs, usually 5-7
Place in 50-75ml cool water
Stir and place in freezer to chill, but not to freeze
Take solution out, pour into a glass thru 2x unbleached coffee filters.
Never pinching or squeezing filter, I'm patient.

End solution is ALWAYS milky. When doing this with APAP, I got a fairly clear product. I understand that ibuprofen has a different solubility than APAP, but I'm wondering if there is some binder thats making the final solution white or do I need better filters or?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It's probably the binder's. I also used a similar method (with apap and ibuprofen based tabs) as you and the solution was sometime's milkey sometime's crystal clear it just depend's a good way to find out how much you got out is to scale the left over resiude. That would give you a rough estimate.

I figured some of it would be binders, but just not sure. Have an extraction going right now and I should point out that even when it's properly chilled, there is not apparent "settling" of ibuprofen in the bottom of the flask in the freezer. The entire mixture looks like milk.

The tabs I'm using are generics, white round tab with 5161 printed on it.

its going thru the filter now, still in the fridge. i'm using a tightly woven dress shirt, then i'll run it thru 2x coffee filters just to see if it gets any clearer. as it sits, there was quite a bit of sludge on the bottom of the chilled flask when i poured it into my filter so i guess that's a good sign.

there was some separation as the solution got cooler, a layer of sludge (iburprof) was on the bottom but the upper portion of the solution was still incredibly milky.

i'll post up again with the end result.

Yea honestly don't worry about the solution being milkey. All you need to do is filter thorugh a coffe filter once and that should do it. Your doing it correctly if you get a decent amout of the sludge out.

Last edited:
just pulled it out of the fridge, i had about 1 teaspoon of sludge-matter on the top of the filter. between this and what was left on the bottom of the original chilling flask, maybe 1.5-2.0 tea spoons of matter was removed.

final product is still milky and is still chilled. i ran a spoon along the bottom of it and didn't pick up any particles (that i could see). no sludge on bottom of final glass.

i'll let it chill some more to see if anything settles, but other than that I'm think you're correct Danky, it's binders. Thx for your input.

Now its time to make some lemonade to go with it.

just found this:

inactive ingredients in vicoprofen:

colloidal silicon dioxide, corn starch, croscarmellose sodium, hypromellose, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, polysorbate 80, and titanium dioxide.

inactive ingredients in vicodin:

colloidal silicon dioxide, starch, croscarmellose sodium, dibasic calcium phosphate, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, povidone, and stearic acid.

I think the culprit there in the Vicoprofen is the Titanium Dioxide. Quick google search reveals that this is used to make things "Pigment 6" or Titanium White.

Wikipedia says:

"Titanium dioxide is often used to whiten skimmed milk..."

^Beautiful research right there Wussmonster. I'm going to throw that in the title and add it to our CWE megathread as well :D