• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

What food to eat while drinking alcohol?

TheDeceased

Ex-Bluelighter
I just wanted to know what food is good to eat while drinking to compensate for the alcohol and so that you don't get a hangover or get sick or whatever (and what isn't).

I've heard greasy food is good, but I don't want to eat greasy shit. I mainly eat raw fruit and vegetables and nuts. Today (prior to drinking) I've been eating raw broccoli, raw cauliflower, mandarins, apples and bananas. At the moment I'm drinking beer and eating beer nuts - though I don't know if their called beer nuts because they taste good with beer or because they're actually good "alcohol food".

Should I be eating something else?

if its merely the hangover you want to avoid, try cinnamon and honey mixed together. Also nopal cactus and obviously milk thistle...
as for foods to eat im not too sure but will watch with interest.

If you just don't want to be hung over drink lots of water...
I can't recommended food to not get a hang over, but I know for a fact that water helps...

no foods will make much difference wrt hangover.
hydration, sleep, nsaids, etc will help (nsaids/water are heavy on my b4-bed/wakeup regimen when drinking)
foods have a huge influence on how your intoxication goes, but it's only through slowing absorption. you can drink more on a full stomach, and stay drunk longer, or drink less on an empty stomach and space the rest out to stay drunk just as long. fibrous/bulky stuff would slow alcohol's digestion the most, but personally i like separating food from drink as much as possible, i dislike ingesting a larger amount to compensate for food - too little 'dosage control'. also - and i can't back this outside of personal experience - but alcohol that's drunk w/ food absolutely impairs the body's ability to digest said food. I can eat a meal b4 or after alcohol w/ a 30min barrier and it'll go down far better than drinking while i eat.

Alcohol is the only nutrient (if it can even really be called that :p) that gets absorbed in your stomach. Due to this, if you eat something like bread before/during drinking, the bread will absorb the alcohol and take it out of your stomach into your intestines where it cannot be absorbed. Not totally sure what happens to it then, but yeah, I don't think there are "best foods to prevent handovers" or anything.

Though I know I rarely got hungover when I was eating a lot of salads and other raw vegetables during the day prior to drinking. :p

Now I just make sure to drink a lot of water--They say to drink one or two ounces of water for every ounce of alcohol you drink.

I was under the impression that alcohol removed various (specific) vitamins/minerals/nutrients from your body?

It blocks the absorption or competes for absorption--One of those. :p Thiamin (B...3?) is a biggie for alcoholics to have issues with.

Another reasons why you hear about alcoholics having vitamin deficiencies is because, say they're consuming 2000 calories in a day--1500 is probably from alcohol, which is void of vitamins.

^^ No. Are you insinuating that AP's reply was contradictory to that yahoo answers thread?? Because if anything, the reply in that yahoo thread supports what AP is saying.

In my personal experience (6 years of alcoholism), if you eat a good meal before you start drinking, e.g. a big bowl of pasta, or some meat and roast vegies, or a burger etc, AND if you drink shitloads of water during your drinking session, your hangover will be much less severe.

Water really is the key though. When I'm drinking alcohol for more than 5 hours I usually end up drinking 2 litres of water during my drinking session, and then I have a big bottle of water next to my bed and take big gulps during the night whenever I wake up. It helps immensely.

Last edited:
I'm not implying anything, dude. If anything I'm confused. I'm just asking for information.

Clarification would be more helpful than accusation.

Calm down, I'm not accusing you, don't be so melodramatic :D

And please re-read my post because I added more info.

Okay, sorry. Thanks for the info. I have a short fuse sometimes.

I guess the one thing that article implied which you guys haven't said was that certain foods (ie. those high in vitamins B and C) are good things to eat in order to counter-act the effects of the alcohol... I was just asking if that's true or if it doesn't really matter what you eat - as a number of guys have said throughout this thread...

i know all that to be true in the yahoo thing, and will add that if you are going to eat bread before hand, in case you didnt realize; avoid getting enriched flour stuff...i dont know why they do this, but it is worth reading and being familiarized with; it doesnt do much good for our bodies...simple wheat bread, or the same with white even. look for stuff with lots poly-saturated fat etc..

doing something like drinking to get drunk, is fine and dandy maybe but dont then go for the junk food too;-) what good is that on top of the booze?! which is really a whole lot of sugar carbs.
i would force myself to chug water beofre going to 'sleep' when i drank as much as possible - it doea help a lot by hydrating you and your brain specifically, which swells and becomes inflamed from being dehydrated over night...lovely eh ? well its true and good to know.

thats interesting about the milk to me - as when i was slamming back 30+ pints a day, or 2-3 bottles of vodka i would crave milk, i mean trying to drink half a gallon at one time once i started drinking it.

hehe-
anyways, keep being safe...

<3

I do the water thing already, as much as I can. On the food, though:

... I've heard that bread isn't good with beer because you get too much carbs - is that wrong?

Like, I'm up to my sixteenth beer, which is way more daily carbs than you should consume right? So if I eat bread on top of that, then wouldn't that be too much? or am I completely off base with that.. ?

(I didn't realize there were different kinds of carbs.)

I've heard that bread isn't good with beer because you get too much carbs - is that wrong?

If you're concerned about gaining weight, then yes, it is bad to eat/drink too many carbs, especially late at night because your body won't expend the energy while you're sleeping so you'll just store it as fat. There's not really any other reason that I am aware of to be concerned about eating/drinking too many carbs in a day other than weight-gain (even though that is a pretty good reason to be concerned about carb intake).

But if your aim is to try and avoid a hangover, then eating bread when drinking alcohol is good, because of the reasons outlined above.

So it just depends on what your priority is :)

No, I'm actually trying to gain weight. I am ten (+) kilos underweight. My metabolism is insane. It's difficult.

@panic, I don't eat junk food. Or at least very rarely. I am on a 80% raw food diet.

Thanks people, this thread has clarified a couple of things for me.

-tD

What you're doing now sounds like it can help in your quest to avoid hangovers as much as possible.

What fruits/veggies have that junk food doesn't is water intricately located inside the plants. It takes water to grow them, and there is water in the pores. Extra water in plants that you eat before / during / after drinking is sure to aid in your body's hydration.

Water during drinking is good, too.

I do the water thing already, as much as I can. On the food, though:

... I've heard that bread isn't good with beer because you get too much carbs - is that wrong?

Like, I'm up to my sixteenth beer, which is way more daily carbs than you should consume right? So if I eat bread on top of that, then wouldn't that be too much? or am I completely off base with that.. ?

(I didn't realize there were different kinds of carbs.)

bellow is a link, and explanation of how to use a macronutrient pyramid graph - you can move the 'finger' around the pyramid to see the % balance of nutrients - from there with an idea of what you will be needing different foods are suggested.

this page is great, and breaks down every little detail into full understandable explanation. look around, you will be able to find the nutritional values of every ingredient to what ever beer you are drinking;-) with enough persistence, and what food might help off set any depletion that occurs, or motivate you to make several small 'courses' to go along with your evening of drinking..!

notice the bit i underlined in the quoted passage bellow, drinking 16 beers is not a good idea period...so im not pretending like any sort of food is going to off-set anything from this rate-of-consumption, and neither should you - but it will help, much better then nothing at all for sure.

caloric-ratio 'tool'

The Caloric Ratio Pyramid™ The Caloric Ratio Pyramid appears in every ND analysis, and also on ND's Total Consumption report. This symbol lets you see at a glance how the Calories in the food are distributed, and can help you determine if the food aligns with common macronutrient-based diet plans, such as low-carb (e.g Atkins™ or South Beach™), low-fat, high-protein, or Zone™.

The three numbers at the bottom of this symbol indicate the percentage of the food's Calories that are derived from the three main macro-nutrients carbohydrates, fats, and protein. If the food contains alcohol, a fourth number will appear that indicates the percentage of Calories derived from alcohol.

Alcohol is the only nutrient (if it can even really be called that :p) that gets absorbed in your stomach. Due to this, if you eat something like bread before/during drinking, the bread will absorb the alcohol and take it out of your stomach into your intestines where it cannot be absorbed. Not totally sure what happens to it then, but yeah, I don't think there are "best foods to prevent handovers" or anything.

Though I know I rarely got hungover when I was eating a lot of salads and other raw vegetables during the day prior to drinking. :p

Now I just make sure to drink a lot of water--They say to drink one or two ounces of water for every ounce of alcohol you drink.

is that why really drunk people are fed bread?8o