Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Teen, 2 others charged after injecting bath salts into their arms, sheriff says

edgarshade

Bluelighter
WBTV

Submitted by Chris Dyches
Monday, May 30th, 4:31 pm

With reader comments

http://statesville.wbtv.com/news/crime/teen-2-others-charged-after-injecting-bath-salts-their-arms-sheriff-says/63164

IREDELL COUNTY, NC (WBTV) - The Iredell County Sheriff's Office says a teen and two others are facing a string of charges after they were caught injecting bath salts into their arms.

According to Sheriff Phil Redmond, deputies were called out to the dead end portion of East Barkley Road on Saturday to conduct a security check. When deputies arrived, they would a vehicle with its lights turned on, trying to leave the road.

Deputies pulled the car over and noticed that the vehicle "had numerous items of drug paraphernalia inside."

That when deputies say 18-year-old Taylor Ryan Evans, 20-year-old Rudy Delacruz and 20-year-old Gregory David Evans, Junior told deputies they were injecting bath salts into their arms.

Deputies noted that the trip was "very nervous and seemed to be very impaired."

According to the Centers for Disease Control, poison control centers representing 45 states and the District of Columbia had reported receiving telephone calls related to "bath salts" in 2011. As of April, centers had already received five times more "bath salts" calls in 2011 than in all of 2010.

The CDC says people are smoking, snorting and injecting the bath salts as a way to get a 'legal high."

"Bath Salts [have] not yet become illegal, but [are] a very dangerous item that is being abused as a drug," Sheriff Redmond told WBTV.

The scientific name for the active compound in bath salts is methylenedioxypyrovalerone, a synthetic derived from a plant called a cathione. Once in the body, it delivers the effects of LSD, ecstasy and cocaine all in one.

"[People] crave for it and can't get away from it," Dr. Ben Gottschalk, the medical director at Wilmington Treatment Center told WECT in Wilmington. "I've seen people with marks all up their arms because they couldn't stop shooting it."

The salt alters the levels of neurotransmitters, or brain chemicals. Once the chemicals start to surge, users get a feeling of energy and empathy. If used repeatedly, the brain becomes depleted of neurotransmitters and a deep feeling of depression and paranoia sets in.

According to Dr. Gottschalk, these products are made in underground labs and manufacturers are constantly developing new designer drugs to stay ahead of law makers and drug regulators.

Deputies say they also found a marijuana pipe on Rudy Delacruz and a loaded Glock .40 caliber pistol inside the vehicle. Delacruz faces charges for carrying a concealed weapon, possession of drug paraphernalia, and allowing a unlicensed driver operate his vehicle.

Evans was charged with carrying a concealed weapon, and Evans was charged with driving while licensed revoked.

All three were released to a sober adult, deputies told WBTV, and not allowed to operate the vehicle.

bath salts...really? hey im not perfect walking being, but why cant people stick to the things that have been around forever...the drugs we all know enough about..just like that k2 stuff, its horrible...smoke a fucking joint, and you'll wake up the next day, smoke a bowl of k2, and have a heart attack..i smoked the resin of k2 one time before, and a little man appeared in my head and literally took over my brain, no shit, the tv started floating towards me and i bugged the fuck out...this thing in my brain completely stopped me from thinking, anything i could to do calm myself down, was being laughed at by this little man....im like wtf is going on? i have tripped real hard on x and acid and all that good shit, ive had complete charecture trips and enjoyed it...that trip, i literally thought i was going to be stuck like that for life...it was not fun

The scientific name for the active compound in bath salts is methylenedioxypyrovalerone, a synthetic derived from a plant called a cathione. Once in the body, it delivers the effects of LSD, ecstasy and cocaine all in one.

Nice...

I completely ignore any media articles about recreational drug use. Overly dramatic and always with the most rediculous false claims, just pure propaganda.

Same thing with majority of drug documentries. Always just showing the bottom of the barrel down and out addicts, people doing extremely fucked up things. It's always so dramatic. This isn't representitive of all addicts. But if someone actually did a genuine unbias documentry it would be lacking the overly dramatic feel and wouldn't be entertaining. Because thats all these documentries are, they arent educational.

So yeah i ignore all these articles as i just want to strangle the writers.

I'm sure describing it as having the same effects as LSD, ecstasy and cocaine combined is a great way to stop people (well, drug users) from wanting to try it 8)

For the record, I didn't find MDPV to be anything like a combination of those three, and would be very surprised if anyone that's tried it has found that. It actually kinda sucked tbh

Once in the body, it delivers the effects of LSD, ecstasy and cocaine all in one.

LOL

Why do acid, e, or coke when you could just shoot bath salts!

This article is just horribly written...

When deputies arrived, they would a vehicle with its lights turned on, trying to leave the road.

Deputies noted that the trip was "very nervous and seemed to be very impaired."

Good sentences.

^I see no problem with the second sentence. The deputies assessed that the high itself was impaired.

^ Yeah I figured that one, but what about the first one I quoted:

When deputies arrived, they would a vehicle with its lights turned on, trying to leave the road.

'trying to leave the road'? What was it doing, taking off into the air?

I like how two kids getting high gets the headline, while possession of a loaded firearm, fucked up licence etc. was barely mentioned.

I'm sure describing it as having the same effects as LSD, ecstasy and cocaine combined is a great way to stop people (well, drug users) from wanting to try it 8)

If there was anything like that, I would be first in line.

I mean, gee, why would I want to use something with THOSE effects?

For the record, I didn't find MDPV to be anything like a combination of those three, and would be very surprised if anyone that's tried it has found that. It actually kinda sucked tbh

Exactly. I've never used it and never would simply by reading reviews about it and I hate stimulants other than psychedelic amphetamines.

If the writers actually wrote about the REAL effects, they would probably discourage people from using it.

However, when you say "oh, it's like LSD, ecstasy and cocaine combined!", that is a ringing endorsement. If I was too stupid or young to research it first, the first thing I'd do after reading the article would be looking all over the internet for a source.

Please help

My fiance and I have been together 10years 3 months ago we started doing the bath salt revitalize...2 1/2 weeks ago he snapped on me and became paranoid and very dilusional thinking I was being forced to sell drugs out of our home. This past sunday he once again accused me and I told him i was leaving and for the first time he hit me in the back of my head and held me down to ground trying to take my phone. Can anyone tell me the longterm affects on these side affects? or does anyone know yet? I want my family back I want my fiance back but I refuse to let a man touch me!! Please I need all the help and advice I can get.:(:(:(:(:(

I'm really sorry to hear that. Most stimulants can cause a form of psychosis from extended use at high doses. I think lack of sleep is an important factor too. If he stops taking it, and gets some sleep, he should be mostly back to normal within a couple of days.

If you're worried about your safety in the mean time or he refuses to stop maybe get a friend or two to stay over and help you out, or call an ambulance if you really need to. Hope it helps.

after reading that i was like "no way!, i'm definitely going to pick some of this shit up!" but ur post stopped me. i'm sure if i had that initial reasoning, kids all over America are probably half way to their local shops by now.

I can see bath salts getting shut down very soon.

damn. i fucked around with bathsalt months ago and it didnt seem worth it. i mean paying almost 40 bucks for a half gram of stuff that makes you feel speedy isnt worth it.

I can see it ruining peoples lives, and these kids are a perfect example.

after reading that i was like "no way!, i'm definitely going to pick some of this shit up!" but ur post stopped me. i'm sure if i had that initial reasoning, kids all over America are probably half way to their local shops by now.

I can see bath salts getting shut down very soon.

Lol that's exactly what my first thought wouldve been too if I didn't already know about this stuff. I'm glad my post stopped you, I can honestly say it's not really worth the money. Usually I'm all for trying new drugs, just for the experience and stuff, but this I wouldn't really bother. To me it was basically like crappy coke that didn't have a whole lot of euphoria, and just as if not more fiendy.

This quote is way too funny to be true.

My fiance and I have been together 10years 3 months ago we started doing the bath salt revitalize...2 1/2 weeks ago he snapped on me and became paranoid and very dilusional thinking I was being forced to sell drugs out of our home. This past sunday he once again accused me and I told him i was leaving and for the first time he hit me in the back of my head and held me down to ground trying to take my phone. Can anyone tell me the longterm affects on these side affects? or does anyone know yet? I want my family back I want my fiance back but I refuse to let a man touch me!! Please I need all the help and advice I can get.:(:(:(:(:(

This confuses me. You registered three years ago, but this is your first post. It's a perfect mixture of legitimately sad material and dissociatively hilarity. Yes, I know that last sentence doesn't make sense, but your post barely does either. At the same time, it touches me.

Were you bidding your time, waiting for this article to let loose? Are you an advanced bot script from the year 2013 trying to mind fuck me? Am I simply drunk and indeed you make more sense than I and Anthony Kiedis At The Same Time?

Only mods will tell.