Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

UK Sun - Ivory Wave Turned My Son Into An Animal

edgarshade

Bluelighter
By NEIL SYSON

Published: 25 May 2011

With reader comments

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3598736/Ivory-Wave-turned-my-son-into-animal.html

A DISTRAUGHT mum told yesterday how legal high Ivory Wave turned her son into a "wild animal" before he plunged down a 300ft cliff.

Chef Michael Bishton, 24, died two days after buying a £15 packet of the mind-bending drug from a shop selling it as bath salts.

The dad-of-two was last seen "bouncing" along the edge of Culver Cliff on the Isle of Wight with his arms outstretched as though trying to fly.

Fishermen found his body in the sea the next day. A post mortem in August last year showed he died of a brain injury.

Mum Tamsin Owen yesterday told an inquest: "When Michael took Ivory Wave he was a different person. He was like a wild animal. It was self-induced madness. It's an insult to my son's memory that shops can sell this drug. It should be illegal."

A few days before he died, Michael's worried partner Sammy Betts called cops after he tried to knife imaginary intrud- ers at their home in Ryde on the island.

He was taken to a mental health unit but released after being told to stay off Ivory Wave.

The Government has vowed to ban imports of the drug but it can be sold legally if labelled "not for human consumption".

Two men were arrested after Michael's death but no charges were brought.

Coroner John Matthews yesterday recorded an open verdict.

WTF is in these alphabetical powders that makes some people fly off the hinge? The guy does a nose dive off a 300 ft cliff, sounds like a bad acid trip.

"When Michael took Ivory Wave he was a different person. He was like a wild animal. It was self-induced madness. It's an insult to my son's memory that shops can sell this drug. It should be illegal."

Look, I feel sorry for you losing your son, but what the hell is that about an insult to your son's memory?
It seems as though your logic has died with your son.
Alcohol and tobacco have killed tens of thousands so far this year, and I don't hear anyone saying that shops selling those drugs are an insult to the victims.
Must every distraught parent make the chemical that "killed their child" illegal for everyone else?
And the "like a wild animal" thing must have been very scary to watch, but we are human beings - a type of animal - and it is (or should be) our right to experiment with alternations in consciousness that may make us seem very wild. If my parents saw me when I was peaking on 4 hits of strong acid back when I was 18, they definitely would have freaked out, but I learned many, many things from acid, including how to forgive and better love my parents.

That said, it sounds like the son was really messed up on the drug. Was he really trying to fly?
If only drugs were legal, he could have acquired something safer, with more research behind it, and almost certainly would not have died.

Interesting reader comment in Ventnorblog

http://ventnorblog.com/2011/05/24/open-verdict-at-inquest-of-michael-bishton/#comment-122631

Rubie says:
Yesterday at 8:29 pm
This is about my older brother, no one should have an opinion on it, he was nothing to do with them… he was my family and my brother. he was a lovely man and was an amazing dad to his child alesha… the inquest today was devastating. i do not believe they can sell this rubbish for 15pound in a shop… thats selfish. and the inquest has now proved to everyone who thought he was ‘selfish’ he wasnt selfish it was ACCIDENTAL DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Isn't Ivory Wave MDPV? I'm confused, because I thought MDPV was a class B drug now.

Therefore this statement cannot be true. but it can be sold legally if labelled "not for human consumption".

That Sun article is interesting. In the comments section, only 1 comment in a total of 9 was pro banning drugs. All the others were pro-legalisation or anti-prohibition.

For some reason I found that surprising, especially given that it is the Sun newspaper.

So this guy does an experimental drug then decides to go hang out at a 300 ft cliff?

Im sorry but that's just dumb.

Isn't Ivory Wave MDPV? I'm confused, because I thought MDPV was a class B drug now.

Therefore this statement cannot be true. but it can be sold legally if labelled "not for human consumption".

That Sun article is interesting. In the comments section, only 1 comment in a total of 9 was pro banning drugs. All the others were pro-legalisation or anti-prohibition.

For some reason I found that surprising, especially given that it is the Sun newspaper.

Ivory Wave used to contain MDPV. When MDPV was banned it seems they switched to 2-DPMP. 2-DPMP has now been partially restricted. It's illegal to import it but not to sell or possess what is already in the UK, as far as I can tell. I know of at least one UK RC vendor that still sells it, though I can't imagine why anyone in their right mind would want to buy this stuff!

I've seen that the reader comments on papers like the Sun/DM depend on the type of article. An article like this attracts anti-prohibition type comments. But if the article involves wayward (or dead) children or social security claimants then the comments swing to hang-em-and-flog-em-like-they-do-in-Singapore.

BBC - Is there a solution to the UK's 'legal high' drugs problem

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-13541548

For the mother of Michael Bishton, who died after taking the "legal high" Ivory Wave, banning such drugs is the only solution to the UK's problem. "How can you just go and buy these things that do these things to families? "It's an insult to the memory of my son", Tamsin Owen said at his inquest.

Legal highs are "far from harmless", the Home Office says. They are easy to purchase over the internet and the effects are largely unknown. Although substances can be banned, new compounds are developed. They remain legal as a variant is technically a different drug. The UK's Misuse of Drugs Act now covers over 600 drugs and the number is growing. In the year the 1961 Act turns 40, critics are concerned whether "the existing framework is fit for purpose in the 21st Century".

Traces of alcohol and Ivory Wave were found in 24-year-old Mr Bishton's bloodstream after he fell off an Isle of Wight cliff. At Tuesday's inquest, the coroner recorded an open verdict but said the combination "may have been a very strong contributory factor to his behaviour".

Meow meow
Ivory Wave is a drug brand name, which can contain different substance variants. Traces of banned 2-DPMP have sometimes been found in Ivory Wave. It has also contained mephedrone. This drug, dubbed meow meow by the tabloid press, was a legal high that caused a media frenzy in 2009 and 2010.

After multiple deaths were claimed to be linked to the drug, then Home Secretary Alan Johnson passed emergency legislation classifying the substance as a Class B drug. Last week, Home Office minister Baroness Browning wrote to festival organisers warning them about people claiming to be selling legal highs. "While people selling these products may give the impression they are legal and safe, they are more than likely not legal, and are certainly not safe."

The government's solution, currently going through parliament, is a temporary 12-month ban for new substances. This criminalises dealing and gives authorities time to research the effects of drugs. Minister for crime prevention James Brokenshire said: "The drugs market is changing and we need to adapt current laws to allow us to act more quickly." "The temporary ban allows us to act straight away to stop new substances gaining a foothold in the market."

'Paradoxical situation'
However the Institute Scientific Committee on Drugs (ISCD) does not believe the government has time to research the growing number of drugs. Data presented to the ISCD showed 40 new synthetic substances were identified last year. In 2009, 24 new substances were identified. Professor David Nutt, from the ISCD, said: "One of the dangers of so-called legal highs is that it is impossible for consumers to know what it is they are taking. "This also makes it difficult for legislation banning them to be effective. The unknown nature of these substances puts us in a paradoxical situation where legal highs might be more dangerous to take than already classified drugs."

A report published this month by think-tank Demos, "Taking Drugs Seriously", was also critical of the government's approach. It questioned whether law "is fit for purpose in the 21st Century". The authors believe temporary bans will become permanent, as any removal could be seen as labelling the substance safe. They argue maintaining separate "drugs" law from substances such as alcohol or tobacco is misguided. "Some suggest that this has led to confusing public health messages, for example, suggesting that alcohol and tobacco are not as harmful as illicit substances," the report said.

The UK's consumption of alcohol has increased by 19% over 30 years, an NHS report found last year. Legal highs fit into a wider and politically charged debate. Responses to drug regulation have tended to fall into binary choices of strict drug control or legalisation. Professor Nutt's own career demonstrates the political stakes.
In 2009 he was sacked as chair of the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs for saying alcohol was more dangerous than cannabis.

For a grieving mother, the need to criminalise legal highs is clear. It will take a brave scientist or politician to persuade Ms Owen otherwise.

So this guy does an experimental drug then decides to go hang out at a 300 ft cliff?

Im sorry but that's just dumb.

A few days before he died, Michael's worried partner Sammy Betts called cops after he tried to knife imaginary intrud- ers at their home in Ryde on the island.

He was taken to a mental health unit but released after being told to stay off Ivory Wave.

The guy had a psychotic break triggered by over doing it with the drugs. He probably should have been committed while at the hospital, he would be alive now.. but no, he went out and did MORE of the shit. That's some addictive stuff right there. Dumb fuckin idea alright. I'm sure in the earlier phases of his use he would have agreed too.

RIP