View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Arrest over date-rape drug

not special

Greenlighter
The Dominion Post
19/05/2011

A man has been arrested for allegedly smuggling a date-rape drug in nail polish bottles.

The Wellington man, 34, was arrested on Tuesday after Customs officers became suspicious of two packages arriving from the United States.

The packages held the class B controlled drug gamma-butyrolactone (GBL) – popular in the nightclub and party scenes for its feelings of sedation and euphoria. It is also known as a date-rape drug because it can render a victim unconscious and cause memory loss.

The man faces two charges of importing a class B controlled drug. The maximum sentence is 14 years' jail.

Also this month, a Blenheim male, 21, was arrested after Customs intercepted 18kg of rare, class A drug DMT – like LSD.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/5023137/Arrest-over-date-rape-drug

I hate how GHB, GBL or flunitrazepam are always referred to as "the date rape drug" when mentioned in reporting. I know that sensationalism is easy and gets the clicks/views, but throwing that term around does the opposite of making the reader more informed, which should be the intention of a reporter.

If you weren't familiar with the drug scene and all you knew on the subject came from reporters, then you wouldn't know that those drugs are primarily sought after for willful recreational use, and there are only a handful of confirmed cases where those drugs were actually used to facilitate rape. With those assumptions, you would probably think that the guy in this story is the leader of a rape ring or something. Hopefully the courts are more informed on the matter.

But 18kg's of DMT? Now thats somethin!
I would be willing to bet that it was 18kg of plant material that contains a small percentage of DMT (i.e. Mimosa tenuiflora root bark or Psychotria viridis). Even so, 18kg does seem like a lot of material. Assuming a DMT content in the range of 0.1% to 1.0% by weight in dried material, that could yield anywhere from 18 to 180 grams of pure DMT.

It was probably 18kgs of MHRB. Most reports don't differentiate between the two.

Even scarier is the law doesn't differentiate either (in the US anyway). Plant material used as a drug can be deemed a "carrier" of a scheduled substance, which is included in it's total weight for the charge.

This is why LSD sentences tend to be so steep. LSD is very potent, so the federal sentencing guidelines establish relatively small amounts in the mandatory minimum sentencing scheme. Only 1 gram of LSD (and carrier) is needed to get 5 years on a first offense, and 10grams gets a 10 year sentence. Now consider that a small "sweet breath" bottle holds ~3.7ml of liquid, which would weigh about 3.7 grams. There is not a huge amount of LSD actually in the bottle, but the weight with the carrier is enough to get 5 years.

I thought GBL went to class C with GHB?

This article is written as if it were by a daily fail reporter..

I know plenty of people that use ghb to "rape" girls. They get off to it, when I was like 12 my dads homeboy would show me videos of him fucking carped out girls. I didn't know what ghb was at the time, I was like woah.

Now when I reflect back on it, I'm just shocked lol, this guy could get basically any girl he wanted but still "date raped" I say "date raped" because I do not know of they were actually drugged with out knowledge, although his favorite line was "drug'em and fuck'em"

Feel bad for the guy though, I hate hearing about g heads getting locked up.

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as I agree, I think you and I both know that it's a far more complex issue than getting these people done and moving on.

I know plenty of people that use ghb to "rape" girls. They get off to it, when I was like 12 my dads homeboy would show me videos of him fucking carped out girls. I didn't know what ghb was at the time, I was like woah.

Now when I reflect back on it, I'm just shocked lol, this guy could get basically any girl he wanted but still "date raped" I say "date raped" because I do not know of they were actually drugged with out knowledge, although his favorite line was "drug'em and fuck'em"

[self-incriminating stuff removed]

Feel bad for the guy though, I hate hearing about g heads getting locked up.

Reading this made me physically sick.
I hope your dad's "homeboy" spends the rest of his life in prison.
And I question your dad's judgment for allowing his "homeboy" to show you such videos, or even to talk with you at all.

Also, you should read up on the rules of posting on BL.
Do you think that police do not read BL?
You should never admit to criminal activity in your posts.

Last edited:
this has happened to me and as much as I would like to post names, addresses and phone numbers I know it would be me that would end up getting in trouble. I am in the process of trying to get evidence so the police will take it seriously. There are a number of guys out there that are making serious money from this sort of thing!!

meh i dated one girl who would like to indulge in these "date rape" drugs
and it was fun while it lasted....

But guys that do this to anyone is just wrong, unless they willing to engage

I just think its funny because nearly any benzo or GABA agonist could be used to rape someone, its just to bad a few are more efficient at it, so their coined the "date rape drugs". To bad if facts showed ethanol would probably rate three million times higher on the used date rap drug scale than GHB/GBL.

This is why LSD sentences tend to be so steep. LSD is very potent, so the federal sentencing guidelines establish relatively small amounts in the mandatory minimum sentencing scheme. Only 1 gram of LSD (and carrier) is needed to get 5 years on a first offense, and 10grams gets a 10 year sentence. Now consider that a small "sweet breath" bottle holds ~3.7ml of liquid, which would weigh about 3.7 grams. There is not a huge amount of LSD actually in the bottle, but the weight with the carrier is enough to get 5 years.

Jesus tapdancing Christ!

That's fucking ridiculous. I mean that is one of the most fucked up things that I've ever read. A 5 year prison sentence for a first offense for possession small amounts of LSD??? Mandatory minimum sentences in some cases???

I'm surprised there aren't more domestic "terrorists" with that kind of oppression going on, I mean that is completely and utterly ridiculous to the point that it is unconscionable. You have to be a real scumbag to write laws like that and even shittier to enforce them.

Absolutely no faith in the modern notion of government. That is absolutely egregious.