• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Heroin use in region at highest level ever

Bricks & Stacks

Bluelighter
No longer are heroin addicts mostly poor African-Americans in an economically deprived inner city neighborhood, he said. Now, they are Caucasians, primarily well-educated professionals and students from well-heeled city neighborhoods and suburbs, whose powerful addictions make them jeopardize careers, families and friends in search of the next fix.

"A lot of people think only bad things happen in the city, but there's no bubble to keep them out of the suburbs," said Mt. Lebanon Police Lt. Aaron Lauth. "The drug of choice right now is heroin. We see it all of the time.

"We're not seeing the violent crime but that doesn't mean there is any less use of drugs. The users in our neighborhood aren't out robbing and stealing. They have money, at least for a while, to support their habits. When we investigate property crime ... it's [usually] drug-related.

"It's that serious, that prevalent, that it is necessary for us to dedicate one officer full time to narcotics investigations."

Two decades ago, he would see a couple of heroin users a month. Now, he sees five to 10 a day.

"I just saw an 18-year-old girl from a good middle-class family, a good school district, who has been using heroin for a year and half," he said. "Several have come in at 14 years old. Parents are fooled, communities are fooled because it's not on their radar screen in good areas.

"One mother said to me, 'I don't know how this could happen to my son. I went to all of his soccer games.' "

While Pittsburgh normally lags years behind national drug abuse trends, such as with crack cocaine, it was at the forefront of increased heroin addiction because of what Dr. Capretto called a "perfect storm."

One element was the development of OxyContin, which, like other opioid drugs such as Percocet, Vicodin and Dilaudid, possess some properties characteristic of opiate narcotics like heroin, but are not derived from the opium poppy. The powerful drug is prescribed here more than in other areas because of the region's large elderly population and the large number of former industrial workers who suffered work-related injuries.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11135/1146733-455-0.stm?cmpid=MOSTEMAILEDBOX#ixzz1MWQbp7hw

"One mother said to me, 'I don't know how this could happen to my son. I went to all of his soccer games.'

Haha how fuckin classic. These "heroin is invading your neighborhood" stories never get old to me no matter how many I read.

Oh whoa whoa, hold the fuck up--

"no longer are heroin addicts mostly poor african americans in inner cities"

Wat the FUCK is that shit?

Heroin addicts were NEVER majority black folks in cities. Where the fuck do these fools get their information at?

Heroin has ALWAYS been overwhelmingly a drug mostly used by white folks.

"Oh, it use to be a black, ghetto drug but now white ppl doin it too" BULLSHIT! Thats how it always been from the beginning, you dumb ass mutha fuckas. Damn these reporters is ignorant as hell.

Dope creepin up on your white daughters in the night and rapin em in their sleep. Take all the old stories about black men 'ruining' white women from the 40s n 50s and replace black men with "dope" and you got the majority of these news stories.

Heroin addicts were NEVER majority black folks in cities. Where the fuck do these fools get their information at?

"Oh, it use to be a black, ghetto drug but now white ppl doin it too" BULLSHIT! Thats how it always been from the beginning, you dumb ass mutha fuckas. Damn these reporters is ignorant as hell.

Dope creepin up on your white daughters in the night and rapin em in their sleep. Take all the old stories about black men 'ruining' white women from the 40s n 50s and replace black men with "dope" and you got the majority of these news stories.

^^^^^Exactly.

People having been using racism to scare people about drugs for a long time.
"There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US,
and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos and entertainers.
Their Satanic music, jazz and swing, result from marijuana usage.
This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations
with Negroes, entertainers and any others."

heroin addicts were never majority black folks in cities. Where the fuck do these fools get their information at?

heroin has always been overwhelmingly a drug mostly used by white folks.

lolwut!?!?!?

please produce proof in the form of anything you didnt dream up.

Haha how fuckin classic. These "heroin is invading your neighborhood" stories never get old to me no matter how many I read.

I would be freakin scared to raise kids now a days.....no matter how well you think you know your kids, if they wanna try something, the will!

Honestly, I feel like heroin use peaked about 2 years ago. This is just from what I have seen personally anyway.

^The articles about Pittsburgh tho, which to me it does seem like everybody I know either sells dope or does it but I guess that's not much diff then 2 or 5 years ago.

I will say I see less and less crack/coke every year and dope seems to be more plentiful and cheaper then ever. But hard and soft I only know a few people that still even sling that shit or do it, one dude I know is always desperate to flip his hard, and that mufucka used to have people lined up waitin to get served. Now it seems like even a lot of crackheads are switchin over to d, obviously not all but some.

Def with OC's bein abuse proof or whatever a bunch of kids from the burbs are drivin to my hood to get served now. I would bet for the last year I've been stopped at least a few times a month when I'm outside "hey man! what's up on some....you know....dope!?" by some punk ass kids in a Mercedez or BMW or somethin usually rollin like 5 deep. I guess I look like a good person to ask cuz I'm white, but I tell em to get the fuck on. Not that there weren't always suburb kids comin here, just seems like more then ever and I've prob seen more white kids with WV/OH plates in the last year then my whole life. (Pittsburgh's only like 25 min from OH/WV for y'all that don't know)

^ Maybe it's because I am "out of the game" that it appears that way to me. I always keep my ear to the ground though, and feel like the glory days of 2006-2008 dope is over with.

^^LOL yo, funny you say that, I remember in like 2005 sayin "looks like the glory days of dope in 2001-2003 is over with", all the long term dopeheads will tell you that in jersey at least shit was straiight FIRE in 02 and 03, th shit in the past few years aint nothin compared to that, but i guess compared to the ish out now the 2008 dope looks good lol...and for somebody who wasnt usin D back then an only started in te past few years then thats all u got to compare with...

I do hear wat you sayin tho Tommy but the point aint the QUALITY of dope , all that means is that all the new kids with new dope habits wont get to experience the real fire dope that used to be in every single bag you got anytime of day back a few years ago. Dont mean theres less ppl doin it tho. Lately if you ask me there IS a huge amount of new dope users.

Dont get me wrong the story is old as time itself. I remmeber readin stories like this in the Bergen record in like 1998, you feel me? Shit aint new, never has been but alot of times people would put those stories in the news when like 3 local kids got caught with dope. And theyd play the whole "dope epidemic" style story when there really WASNT one and there was just a small increase , a few local kids on dope, cuz you know anytime theres "ghetto drugs" in the suburbs, the shit is a epidemic.

They cried wolf so many times that now when they say that shit people is just like yea watever...but i can say from my own experience even bein mostly out the game, just readin the Obituaries and police blotter pages in the local paper lately, that like every single listing in the police and prosecutors report and there is usually like 20 arrest/sentencing reports, every single drug related one is about dope, and I been seein mad obit's for young kids OD'ing lately. A couple moths ago there was 3 or 4 kids who OD and died on dope under the age of 20 in 2 weeks in one of the suburbs. Thats alot for folks in those areas, you know? To them when ONE kid dies from a OD its a big deal so when theres kids steady droppin from that shit they get scared as hell.

It def. is gettin bigger tho if you ask me, its like every white kid I meet at probation is there for diesel. and you know its like if you listen to the newspapers, theres always some crazy dope problem but Im sayin, that from payin attention to the real shit thats happenin, talkin to ppl, etc, i can def. say that theres a increase in dope at least in the NJ area and especially in the suburbs.

Also memphixx3, I aint sure wat you sayin...are you disagreein with ME or the quote in my post?

Dope always been majority abused by white folks yo. Shit mighta been back in the day associated with the blues n jazz men and black folks but you can go look up the stats yourself dope is a majority white drug and for the past couple decades at least it been that way.

North East has a huge dope problem and it seems everywhere else they are tweaking by smoking Meth out of rose stems

Also memphixx3, I aint sure wat you sayin...are you disagreein with ME or the quote in my post?

yes i was disagreeing with you. its inevitable that the majority of heroin abusers of the past were black. heroin is distributed in inner cities. blacks mostly inhabit the majority of inner cities therefor being the first victims of heroin abuse/addiction. harlem with frank lucas, baltimore with little melvin, etc. there are countless recorded situations where blacks have been plagued by heroin, brought on by their own kind no less. it wasnt until recently that white rural areas have had a problem with heroin. white suburban youths are driving to the city to cop dope.

you said "heroin has always been overwhelmingly a drug mostly used by white folks."

i asked you to provide proof that is not made up off the top of your head. where have you seen that the majority of heroin users are caucasion? please provide articles, some kind of concrete proof that supports your arguement.

like i said there have been countless recorded instances where inner city blacks have been plagued by heroin abuse/addiction

your comment, to me, is absolutely absurd, and quite frankly, commical.

^^LOL yo, funny you say that, I remember in like 2005 sayin "looks like the glory days of dope in 2001-2003 is over with", all the long term dopeheads will tell you that in jersey at least shit was straiight FIRE in 02 and 03, th shit in the past few years aint nothin compared to that, but i guess compared to the ish out now the 2008 dope looks good lol...and for somebody who wasnt usin D back then an only started in te past few years then thats all u got to compare with...

I do hear wat you sayin tho Tommy but the point aint the QUALITY of dope , all that means is that all the new kids with new dope habits wont get to experience the real fire dope that used to be in every single bag you got anytime of day back a few years ago. Dont mean theres less ppl doin it tho. Lately if you ask me there IS a huge amount of new dope users.

Dont get me wrong the story is old as time itself. I remmeber readin stories like this in the Bergen record in like 1998, you feel me? Shit aint new, never has been but alot of times people would put those stories in the news when like 3 local kids got caught with dope. And theyd play the whole "dope epidemic" style story when there really WASNT one and there was just a small increase , a few local kids on dope, cuz you know anytime theres "ghetto drugs" in the suburbs, the shit is a epidemic.

They cried wolf so many times that now when they say that shit people is just like yea watever...but i can say from my own experience even bein mostly out the game, just readin the Obituaries and police blotter pages in the local paper lately, that like every single listing in the police and prosecutors report and there is usually like 20 arrest/sentencing reports, every single drug related one is about dope, and I been seein mad obit's for young kids OD'ing lately. A couple moths ago there was 3 or 4 kids who OD and died on dope under the age of 20 in 2 weeks in one of the suburbs. Thats alot for folks in those areas, you know? To them when ONE kid dies from a OD its a big deal so when theres kids steady droppin from that shit they get scared as hell.

It def. is gettin bigger tho if you ask me, its like every white kid I meet at probation is there for diesel. and you know its like if you listen to the newspapers, theres always some crazy dope problem but Im sayin, that from payin attention to the real shit thats happenin, talkin to ppl, etc, i can def. say that theres a increase in dope at least in the NJ area and especially in the suburbs.

Dope always been majority abused by white folks yo. Shit mighta been back in the day associated with the blues n jazz men and black folks but you can go look up the stats yourself dope is a majority white drug and for the past couple decades at least it been that way.

and holy shit you said it again. WHERE THE FUCK DO YOU GET YOUR INFO?

Aw memphis, stop hatin on me cuz you didnt get the DC mod spot.

you try doin some research of your own guy, cuz you askin me for sources on the majority of dope users bein white is like askin for sources on is the sky really blue.

They judge the % of heroin users by people seekin treatment most of the time cuz its too hard to determine that shit by real numbers, there aint no poll of every drug user to ask you feel me.

Heres one example:

According to Treatment Episode Data Set, heroin accounted for 15.2% of all treatment admissions in 2000 (243,523 admissions). Males accounted for 66.9% of heroin treatment admissions. Treatment admissions by race/ethnicity ranged from 47.3% white, to 24.7% Hispanic, to 24.2% black.

And obviously you dont know all that much about this shit cuz you think that just becuz the drugs sold in the hood means thats the folks doin it. The huge majority of drug users in this country is white, it aint no diferent for dope yo. Why you buggin out over this shit like you mad or somethin.

During 1970 and 1971, the mass media carried news of two new and distressing opiate trends. A growing number of white, middle-class young people, in suburbs as well as inner cities, were said to be mainlining heroin. And United States military personnel-primarily in Vietnam, but also at duty stations in the United States and throughout the world-were similarly said to be sniffing, smoking, or mainlining heroin in substantial numbers.

It was still much too early, as this Consumers Union Report was nearing completion, to evaluate these two new phenomena in detail, to ascertain their causes with precision, or to put forward specific policies for handling them. A few central points, however, can be established with reasonable confidence. Let us review the two new patterns of heroin use in turn.

Heroin among middle-class white young people. How common is heroin use in comfortable residential areas and suburbs? Nobody knows.*

* President Nixon's Message to Congress, June 17, 1971, stated: "Even now, there are no precise national statistics on drug use and drug addiction in the United States, the rate at which drug use is increasing, or where and how this increase is taking place. Most of what we think we know is extrapolated from those few states and cities where the dimensions of the problem have forced closer attention, including the maintenance of statistics."

Anecdotal evidence indicated that by 1971, heroin had become the most popular illicit drug (except for marijuana) among young people in at least a few suburbs. How many suburbs? Which suburbs? No one knew or could find out. Indeed, the only reliable source of information concerning heroin on the youth drug scene came from the free clinics and other indigenous institutions (see Chapter 65)-institutions to which youthful heroin users naturally turned when they realized that they were "hooked." These institutions could report only that heroin addiction was rapidly rising in certain neighborhoods.

One very distressing aspect of heroin's spread to the suburbs was that it seemed to signal a crumbling of the longstanding dividing line between heroin and the other drugs, licit and illicit. That line had been recognized and accepted by almost all middle-class white young people through all the years from 1914 till late in the 1960s. Young people might risk alcohol, nicotine, marijuana, hashish, LSD, and a variety of other drugs-but heroin? Certainly not-except, of course, for some poverty stricken denizens of inner cities and a few others.

This breakdown of the barrier against heroin use was at least in part, it should now be apparent, the natural and inevitable result of the official United States antidrug stance, which linked many illicit drugs-even marijuana-to heroin in antidrug pronouncements. Thus, marijuana was defined as a narcotic in many laws. The same penalties were decreed against the possession or sale of marijuana as against the possession or sale of heroin. Authorities mistakenly spoke of "marijuana addicts." The often repeated slogan, "Marijuana leads to heroin," further obscured the distinction between the two drugs. At the same time, the distinction between injecting a drug and swallowing, sniffing, or smoking it was also blurred; antidrug propaganda concealed the fact that sniffing, swallowing, or smoking a drug is much safer than mainlining it. As a result, the indigenous institutions report, many naive young people eventually responded to the propaganda and accepted the view that heroin mainlining must not be very different from marijuana-smoking, or "acid-dropping," or other accepted forms of illicit drug use.

http://www.ukcia.org/research/cunion/cu20.htm

Not that that's an official government source, but it makes the point. I didn't read the whole page, but seems like it's sayin pretty much what she said. I guess y'all forgot before Frank Lukas, all the heroin was from that "French Connection" and bein as how racist the mob was and shit I'd say most of that went to white people.

In the second major wave of American opiate addiction, heroin was integrated into the new cultural identity of the "hipster"(20), first through the Harlem jazz scene in the 1930s and 1940s and then through the Beatnik subculture of the 1950s. During this period the major supply of heroin entering the U.S. came through the "French Connection"--a collaboration between Corsican gangsters in Marseille and the Sicilian Mafia. In April 1971, Congressman Robert Steele (R-CT) investigated reports of rampant heroin abuse among U.S. servicemen in Vietnam. His fact-finding mission estimated an addiction rate of 10 to 15%. This alarming statistic, combined with emerging evidence linking heroin addiction to crime, pushed the heroin problem to the front of Nixon's drug policy agenda.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/drugs/buyers/socialhistory.html#ixzz1MdWRtZpk

It says spread from black Jazz musicians, to the hipster and Beatniks by the 1950's....mostly which were white.