Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Burping/Yuk Guts when rolling: My theory

Pendulum

Bluelighter
Hi everyone
We all know that Pills aren't the best thing on your tum tum. usually by half way though a big night out.. I start to get pretty hectic burps and in general a yuk feeling in my belly. Nothing too bad... but I could do without it.
(Part of this yuk feeling is from an empty stomach, which we have been discussing in the other thread in this forum about EASTING POST/DURING a roll).
But something which got me thinking... was chewing gum. Today, I went through a whole packet of chewy. By the end of the day.. I had that same yuk feeling, and lots of wind/burping.
Could some of this burping and yuk tummy while rolling actually step from the chewy? Lets face it.. while rolling you will probably munch through a whole lot more chewy in a night, and a lot quicker too!
Does my theory have any accuracy? I know that a lot of it has to do with the chems in the pills reacting with your guts.. but after today and chewing chewy all day.. it got me wondering.
Would like to hear your thoughts.
Cheers
Pendulum

MDMA causes a gas in your body if you don't get it out, ie burping and farting you'll vomit

aahh.. that explains why I have not spewed up yet... coz I burp all the time! geez I'ma piggie!
thanks! does any one have any more detailed info?
What about the chewy idea?

sorry dude doesn't hold water. neither my girl or myself chew gum whilst out so our jaw isn't shattered the next day and half way through a great night she's burpin to the point it scares me that she's gunna spew all over me(not to mention the discomfort she shows)

Originally posted by trashy bitch:
MDMA causes a gas in your body if you don't get it out, ie burping and farting you'll vomit
I'm sorry??? Give us a link to back up this, and I'll believe it... I can't say for sure what causes it, 'cause I plain don't know, and can't find anything on the 'Net at the moment to explain why it happens... (I was under the impression that it's 'caused by the massive amounts of serotonin being released, and the additional strain that it puts on the body, but it's only what I think...)
But by posting bullshit like this, you help to spread MISINFORMATION, something that Bluelight strives to destroy.

I'll preface this by saying that this is something I vaguely remember reading somewhere, so it might be totally off the mark.
Anyway, I remember one theory was that serotonin somehow plays a role in the workings of the intestines, and the sudden flood causes the nauseous feeling. This is why it's possible to feel sick on pills regardless of how much or how little you might have eaten recently. It's probably more complicated than that description I just gave, but this might ring bells for other people who know more than I do about it.
If someone can find something to back that up then it'd be much appreciated. If not, then please simply treat this theory as nothing more than exactly that - a threory. :)

^^^
Well, there are serotonin receptors in the stomach and other parts of the digestive tract, and an increase of serotonin in the body would cause some stomach upset cause of this.

Hey Pendulum, as soon as I read your post I was expecting to see 3 or 4 replies backing up your theory. But I didn't. So here's one for you anyway: Whenever I chew gum I always get a gassy sensation in my tummy and burp heaps - especially on an empty stomach. This is not only whilst rolling but whenever I chew heaps of gum.....like after lunch if Ive got some chewy Ill just chew all arvo just cause Ive got a full packet.
I think its because the chewing produces more saliva in your mouth so your constantly swallowing (I do anyway), whether it be subconsciencely or on purpose. It makes sense to me that the same thing would happen while rolling, but would be more uncomfortable as its over a 12hr period or whatever.

Fetish Jester has got it.
For past discussions try this thread
Vomiting and E
Read Babydoc Vic's comments about serotonin receptors in the stomach.
Typical psychedelics including MDMA primarily create their magic by working on the 5HT2 group of receptors and associated bio molecules (transporters, enzymes etc).
Other sub types are also thought to be affected by MDMA, or the release of serotonin caused by the drug.
Serotonin (5HT) receptors occur throughout the body with more than 14 sub types known. Some of these are found in the stomach and parts of the gastrointestinal tract. One is the 5HT3 receptor. 5HT3 is the serotonin receptor from which all others developed. It differs greatly from the others in both appearance and function. All 5HT receptors other than 5HT3 are serpentine or G protein types.
The 5HT3 receptors are ion channels (as apposed to G protein types). In the stomach, they affect muscular contractions, and play a role in the digestive function as well as regulating the desire to eat. It is an agonist action on these receptors that is thought to cause the queasy tummy feeling. It is also quite possible some people have more of these receptors, making them more prone to vomiting.
Other factors can be involved. The tablet may “stick” to the stomach lining and cause burning and reflux, or in the case of prolonged use, ulcerations or permanent reflux problems. This is a common complaint with long term speed users who bomb their meth in a cig paper. Different tablet formulations (binders etc) may also take longer to break up where as others may release the amine salt quickly.
Although there should be no freebase MDMA in tablets, any traces of freebase will react violently in the presence of acid, and considering your stomach is normally around pH 1.5-2, this could cause agitation. The alkaline nature of freebase amphetamines may also burn the epithelium (outer cells of the stomach lining).
The normal life of epithelial stomach cells is around 3-7 days but the turnover rate is greatly affected by chemicals which kill the cells. No doubt, any rapid destruction of these cells would cause discomfort.
There are many possible variables which may predispose a person towards stomach sensitivity. Alcohol destroys the protective mucous as can some spicy foods. This protective layer is also affected by smoking and age.
Finally, heartburn can result from damage to the esophagus and the valve to the stomach (sphincter). This causes stomach acids to enter and burn the esophagus, which has little protection against strong acids. It can be damaged or inflamed by oral doses of amphetamines. This damage may never heal, producing the condition known as GERD or gastrointestinal reflux disease.
[ 01 March 2003: Message edited by: phase_dancer ]

In addition to phase_dancer's excellent response, just wanted to add that chewing gum may increase wind in the stomach by making you gulp in air. But, in this instance it would merely be contributing to the stuff explained above. Taking Degas or Gasbuster capsules (from the supermarket or chemist) or peppermint tea can reduce gas/burping.