Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Police road blitz on ravers nets drugs

killarava2day

Ex-Bluelighter
Police road blitz on ravers nets drugs
By MARIZA FIAMENGO
Sunday, 16 February 2003
"It became very obvious that as we pulled a car in another 20 would be getting past that were probably carrying drugs."
POLICE arrested 37 people for drug offences as they headed to a dance party on the outskirts of Ballarat on Saturday night.
About 25 police officers conducted general car checks and breath tested motorists at a road block on the Western Hwy at Bungaree between 7.30pm and 11.30pm.
Police seized:
132 ecstasy tablets from 11 people
17 quantities of amphetamines of various sizes
24 amounts of cannabis
18 doses of LSD.
All the people charged for drug offences told police they were heading to the Kryal Castle dance party and none were from Ballarat.
Detective Sergeant Gerry Rudkins, of Bacchus Marsh CIU, said more arrests would have been made if more police resources were available.
"I was surprised at how common it was in the cars we were stopping," he said.
"It became very obvious that as we pulled a car in another 20 would be getting past that were probably carrying drugs."
Police stopped 1000 cars for alcohol breath tests and made two arrests of people driving with a blood alcohol reading above .05.
Police conducted full checks on up to 50 cars.
Kryal Castle owner Keith Ryall said he was surprised by the results of the police road block.
Mr Ryall said he saw no open drug taking at the dance party which attracted 3500 people.
"I have no knowledge of nor have I seen anyone popping drugs in the whole eight years the dance parties have been running at Kryal Castle," he said.
He said up to 40 security officers were employed on Saturday night and anyone caught trying to sell drugs would have been handed to police.
The Kryal Castle dance parties have been plagued by complaints relating to noise, the use of illegal fireworks and litter in the past year.
Moorabool Shire Council gave the tourist park one last chance to host an incident-free dance party and placed a range of conditions on Saturday night's event.
These conditions included the creation of noise, traffic and emergency management plans.
Mr Ryall said he was not aware of any complaints from neighbouring residents about noise levels on Saturday night.
Representatives from the Environmental Protection Authority also attended Saturday's event and were satisfied with the noise levels of the dance party, Mr Ryall said.
Ballarat Courier

Surely those same police resources would have been better utilized outside the First Commercial or Colonist Hotels in Ballarat. I’m sure the return would have been much higher than 2 drink drivers from 1000 stopped???? Hell I bet you probably would have ended up with a shitload more pot and amphetamines too. But I guess cops don’t want to be arresting their mates from down the local, there would be a community revolt, better off arresting and victimizing some out of towners and blaming them for the towns youth issues. Hell lets send TT or ACA down there next time to make an objective expose on the issue.
Yep on my soap box again, and loving it
Cheers
JoKeR

what a farking joke
what do 'full' car checks mean??
those poor buggers....
oh and 132 pills? yeah more like 200 we'll just keep a few for....ehhh...'study'
peace
PP

Originally posted by Padawhuan Pinger:
132 pills? yeah more like 200 we'll just keep a few for....ehhh...'study'
PP

How very true, how very very true

it is well known that this was perhaps the last kryal party as locals have been pushing to get events banned at the venue due to noise, illegal fireworks, litter etc. I think this was a reaction by the police due to the local community opposition to dance events at kyral, and that this will be used as ammunition against future parties.

Well a freind of a freind got done that night with 100. so that leaves FUCK ALL
so they really didn't do that well just fucking lucky otherwise would of only been 30+

Yeah. The filth and there searches. One for the boss one for me, one for boss one for bill. Why at this time of high terrorism would they bother with a few happy go lucky party people.??? They are simply trying to rid people of there party's...

Random Car search??? wus that? can that be done,or is going to kryle suspicious activity enough?
anyways,what ever the hell you do in Melb/Vic you get POLICED!POLICED!POLICED!POLICED!POLICED!

^ You're right on that Chaos... I think the hook was that people were ostensibly being 'breath tested'. Those that blew a reading on the PBT would then be classed as 'driving under the influence' and perhaps the police classed THAT as reasonable suspicion of possession?
Anyway at midnight in Ballarat, nobody can hear you scream... they can pretty much do what they want unless you're VERY assertive of your rights, or have a video camera.
BigTrancer :)

as the law stands they can search you and your car if they believe you to be in possession of drugs, its always such a grey issue here as what exactly constitutes a policemans perception of if you have drugs on you? a car full of ravers on the way to ballarat with fat pants might, but then again that could also be considered discrimination, as just because you are going somewhere and perhaps dressed a certain way it is assumed you will be having drugs. my advice is know your rights and put your drugs in your underwear, i doubt they will ask you more than empty your pockets.
[edit:]have a look at those pics, those are your rights! (read below, bt scanned and OCR'ed).
[ 20 February 2003: Message edited by: Cowboy Mac ]

Thanks for reminding me CowboyMac!! I have one of those cards in my wallet, everyone should...
Quick scan and a bit of an edit... and here we go:

FOR YOUNG PEOPLE IN TROUBLE WITH THE POLICE

... who live, work or study in ...
Fitzroy - Collingwood - Richmond - North Melbourne - East Melbourne - Brunswick - Carlton
Fitzroy Legal Service Inc. -- This project was funded by the Victoria Law Foundation.

ALPHALINE 9419 7427 - EMERGENCY 24 HOURS FREE LEGAL ADVICE
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. You should give your name and address to police if requested: Police must tell you their reason for questioning you and give their name, rank and place of work if asked by you. If you refuse or give a false name and address you can be charged and fined $500.

2. You do not have to go anywhere with the police unless arrested. The police must tell you "you are under arrest" and why you are under arrest.

3. If arrested you have the right to ring a lawyer: You should ask for this. You also have the right to ring a friend or relative

4. You do not have to answer other police questions: Be calm and polite. There is no such thing as an "off the record" statement. If you have a clear explanation of your innocence it may be advisable to give this although you should speak to a lawyer first. Sometimes you can get into more trouble by answering police questions. To each and every question (other than your name and address) answer "No comment until I get legal advice".

5. If you are under 17 years, the police cannot question you without a parent, guardian or an independent adult present.

6. You 'have to' give your fingerprints if you are 15 years old or over, and the police suspect that you have committed an offence. Police may use reasonable force to take your fingerprints. If you are between 10 and 14 years you "don't have to' give your fingerprints unless both you and a parent/guardian agree, or the police obtain a court order.

7. You have the right to refuse your photograph being taken, or being put in an identification 'line-up'!

8. Police may request that you undergo a forensic procedure: (eg blood sample, taking pubic hair or saliva). Say no to this as the police must get a court order to do so.

9. Police can only search you, or your car, if they reasonably suspect illegal drugs, weapons, stolen goods, or to preserve evidence. Otherwise a search warrant is required.

10. Police must provide an interpreter if they believe that you require one. Alphaline cannot provide this service.

11. If you are hurt see a doctor immediately and ring Alphaline. If you want to complain about your treatment you can report this to the State Ombudsman, the officer in charge of the police station (when leaving or later) or Police Ethical Standards - ring Alphaline for advice.

REMEMBER REMEMBER REMEMBER REMEMBER

Anything that you say to the police can be used against you.
There is no such thing as an off the record statement - don't "chat" to police on the
way to the station!.

If arrested ask what for and tell friends or onlookers to contact a lawyer or a relative about where you have been taken to and why. Phone Alphaline. Give your friends your date of birth and full name.

If questioned you don't have to say anything except your name and address.

You have the right to say "No comment" to all questions except for your name and address.

If injured by the police you may want to report it to the officer in charge of the police station (now or later). See a doctor immediately and talk to a youth worker and lawyer as soon as possible.

Be politely firm about your rights! Do not loose (sic) your cool.

SOME OTHER USEFUL PHONE NUMBERS

• Fitzroy Legal Service: (legal information and referral) 9419 3744
• Victoria Legal Aid: (telephone advice service) 9269 0120
• Aboriginal Legal Service: 9419 3888
• Action Centre: (free help in health, abortion and contraception issues) 1800 013 952 or 9654 4766
• Centre Against Sexual Assault: (if you are raped or sexually assaulted) 9496 5770
• Direct Line: (drug and alcohol info and counselling) 9416 1818
• Youth Substance Abuse Service: (outreach, residential drug and alcohol service) 9244 2450 or 1800 014 446
• Translating And Interpreter Services: 131 450
• Life Line: (24 hr counselling) 131 114 or (suicide help-line) 1300 651 251
• Stop Over: (emergency accomodation) 9347 0636
• State Ombudsman: (for complaints against the police) 9613 6222
• Kids Help-Line: 1800 551 800

Rockin. BigTrancer :)

Last edited:
Still on the slightly_off_topic, but is that information in the FAQ for Aus Drug Discussion? It should be!

this is a clear example of what happends when police are not bribed enough by the party organisers. its a shame that the kids have to suffer hey?

I think that what people need to remember is that the drugs they are using are illegal. So if and when you get busted, don't whinge about it.
If I got busted, the only thing I'd be doing is kicking myself for not being crafty enough to avoid it.
That is all.

The same style deal happened in Cairns last year, in march...
It was at a remote location with only one road in, and the police were around a blind corner with sniffer dogs, etc, the whole lot...
Many many many people got busted, many many more were a little too off chops from having to gobble gobble gobble! Lessons for all that nite...
I agree, it is illegal drugs, however in our case they netted no real dealers (and im sure they made it in) just users, with nothing more than a few pills or a quarter of dope...
I think they need to rethink there strategies a little, in the end id say the operation netted no real outcomes, i bet they were really expecting to do a lot better, probably enough drugs for the cairns drug squad to have a nice little party!
It is a crazy game, and they do have every rite to be doing what they do, however i dont like how ravers are singled out, "oh he must have drugs coz hes got fluro pants" style attitude, but i guess thats just a given.
Peaz
[Edit: Venue details removed. BT]
[ 25 February 2003: Message edited by: BigTrancer ]

Munchee posted:
Still on the slightly_off_topic, but is that information in the FAQ for Aus Drug Discussion? It should be!Good suggestion... consider it done!!
The Alphaline information has been appended to our Main FAQ --> here <-- (that thread is our primary information dump, everything you always wanted to know and a billion things more).
BigTrancer :)
PS: The New Bluelight is in no way affiliated with Fitzroy Legal Service, or Alphaline.

If stopped by a cop and they ask to search the car, are we allowed to ask why they believe we would have something they would want to find in the car?
Like, if they say "cos you've got a garfield sticker on the window" is there any way to avoid the search?
The main reason I ask this is not because I usually have something to hide, but because my brother gets stopped and searched about once a month, and a friend of his had some very extensive damage caused to his car during one search (they cut open the seats).