Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Thesis on MDMA and the law

Captain Tim

Bluelighter
Hi there!
I recently finished my law thesis on a topic that may be of interest. Its title is 'Ecstasy and the Law: The Past, Present and Future of MDMA's Legal Regulation in the Australian Capital Territory'. The paper is 11,500 words long and comprises the following six sections:
Introduction: general discussion of MDMA, including its effects and association with the dance scene
Past: traces the legal history of MDMA to ascertain how MDMA became prohibited in the ACT
Present Theory: analyses the harm caused by MDMA to determine why the drug is prohibited
Present Practice: examination of ecstasy use in Australia, the ACT legislative framework and its enforcement by ACT Policing
Future: outlines two law reform proposals: 1) moving MDMA to Schedule 1 of the Drugs of Dependence Act 1989 (ACT), and 2) ACT Government Analytical Laboratories analysing ecstasy tablets and publicly disseminating the results
Conclusion: ah, conclusion type stuff
If you would like to read a copy, just follow these directions:
1) go to http://law.anu.edu.au/scripts/StaffList.asp
2) under 'Alphabetical Staff List', select Mark Nolan
3) under 'More About Me', select Papers by Honours students
4) download the PDF file.
Anyway, I think it is an interesting read – I interviewed people from ACT Policing, the ACT Government Analytical Laboratories and the National Drugs and Poisons Scheduling Committee, plus you will learn stuff like MDMA became illegal in the ACT on 1 April 1989!
Im more interested in giving bored people something to read than getting feedback, but if you would like to contact me please email [email protected].
Cheers,
Tim

icon14.gif
Thanks Captain Tim!
icon14.gif

BigTrancer :)

Cheers Captain Tim!! This is probably one of the better works I have read summarising the relationshiop between E & the law. I strongly recommend all Oz Bluelight punters have a read - even a brief one.
You have sumamrised the conundrum well with the phrase:
'Is MDMA banned because its bad, or is it bad becuase its banned?'
I think we all know the answer to this question.
Play safe y'all!
< Panda out >

interesting insight mate....good work.
hope it goes well for you.... if it hasn't already.
as an aside, i wonder how the proliferation of poker-machines, especially in NSW, fits into the
Accordingly, criminal law is generally perceived as warranted if its purpose is to enforce morality or prevent harm.
i personally reckon it equates to hypocrisy

Very interesting reading, had a giggle over some of the statistics.
deaths by soccer 1:25,000 deaths by ecstacy 1:3.5mil
and
Fights leading to arrests in a group of 35,000 new years ravers a big ZERO.
I can now see why its illegal. its a curse, a blight on an otherwise clean, perfect society. when will young people wake up and see they are destoying their lives with drugs like ecstacy, expanding ones conciousness and understanding of the universe, empathy, closeness with those around you, where has that ever gotten anyone hmmmmm? What kids these days need is a nice stong pack of Camels, a six pack of VB and a darn good dose of Buddy Holly to set them straight.
Cheers
JoKeR :)

I remember you posting about this ages ago Capt. Tim (long time no see) :) Good to see you've finished it, and what a great read, Well done~
DJC*