Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: NZ Herald; Drug 'Pure' linked to sword attacks and gunshot death

phase_dancer

Bluelight Crew
Recently around Brisbane, there has been a reported upsurge in the smoking of methamphetamine crystal, with several horror stories relayed to us over the past couple of weeks. So I feel it is worth again raising awareness of the possible dangers of regularly consuming methamphetamine in such a concentrated form via smoking or vaporizing.
I don’t wish to suggest that any and all stories involving drug crimes should be posted on BlueLight, but the following story points towards a possible role “Pure” may have played in a series of gruesome crimes committed on the 22nd of Feb 2003 in New Zealand.
“Pure” or “P” is NZ street slang for a normally smoked form of high purity crystal methamphetamine. (Although one journalist said he thought P more appropriately stood for the instant psychosis brought on by smoking meth)
Lately I’ve been following some of the violent crime stories considered to relate to P use in NZ. Unlike Australia, NZ has been slower in regulation. I speculate liability laws in New Zealand and what constitutes an ability to sue may have had some bearing on this, but that’s another issue. Until recently though, there was little or no restriction on availability of most lab chemicals, and even less on those used in agriculture.
See these threads for past BL discussion on the subject of smoking meth
smoking speed
"P" (pure speed) smoking in new zealand
The articles relating to this story are not all comfortable reading, so I will avoid quoting graphic details of injuries sustained by victims. You can find pieces of the story complete with gory details, by following the links at the end of this post.
There is no direct proof that meth was instrumental in this rampage, but meth (P) use has been associated with perpetrators of several violent crimes in New Zealand over the past 2 years. Of course violent crime in NZ was present well before “P”.
What has concerned me, are the personally relayed stories of extreme psychosis reported to accompany even short term use and the horrendous nature of some crimes.
Drug 'Pure' linked to sword attacks and gunshot death
By TONY WALL and ALISON HORWOOD
Investigations into the bloody rampage that left two women with horrific samurai sword injuries and a man dead from gunshot wounds have uncovered links to the notorious drug crystal methamphetamine.
The Herald has learned that the drug - known as P or pure - is a factor in the background to the events.
And police are investigating claims that the shooting victim, 25-year-old Mangere man James Te Aute, known as JT, was at the East Auckland carpark where he was shot for a pre-arranged meeting.
It was previously thought that the father of three was a random victim on his way to the supermarket.
The drug details have emerged as the surviving victims, Simonne Butler and Renee Hills, recover in Middlemore Hospital from surgery to reattach their hands. Ms Butler's hands were both sliced through and Ms Hills' right hand was severed.
A 34-year-old man, Antonie Ronnie Dixon, from Beachlands, coastal Manukau City, has been charged with Mr Te Aute's murder and faces further charges.
Sources have told the Herald that Mr Te Aute - described by his family as a dedicated father - and three associates went to the carpark in Highland Park early on Wednesday to buy methamphetamine.
They did not know the man who opened fire.
Asked about the drug allegations yesterday, Mr Te Aute's widow, Julie Cropley, said: "It's none of your business. I've got nothing to say."
The officer in charge of the case, Detective Inspector Steve Rutherford, said police would investigate the drug claims and other information provided by the public.
He appealed for one of the men who was at the carpark - he gave chase as the gunman fled the scene - to come forward. He said he was a key witness and there was no suggestion he was in trouble with police.
Neighbours say police had visited Mr Te Aute's property in Malcolm Place, Mangere, several times before the shooting.
Asked why Mr Te Aute was in the carpark in the early hours, Mr Rutherford said, "We have an idea why he was there", but he would not elaborate.
Other police sources say the bizarre graffiti on the walls of the converted workshop in Pipiroa where the sword attack happened appeared to be the result of paranoia brought on by long-term smoking of P.
The messages included "drug babies", "say who you are I am going crazy", "my life is in danger" and "home of the satellite 747 and every other thing in the sky".
A source said the author had "ranted about being chased by 747 planes" and become increasingly paranoid.
The Herald has also learned that a house in Beachlands owned by Simonne Butler was raided by armed police last month. About 30 officers, including drug squad detectives, raided the property and found a drug laboratory in the middle of production, with chemicals being "cooked" into methamphetamine.
It is understood the three men who were later arrested and charged with manufacturing methamphetamine were Simonne Butler's tenants. She was not involved.
The head of the drug squad, Detective Senior Sergeant Colin McMurtrie, said pure methamphetamine was now firmly entrenched in New Zealand society and he warned that associated crimes would only get worse.
Police had already linked at least nine homicides to use of methamphetamine.
"We are surrounded by an epidemic of ... a drug that causes normal, sane human beings to act totally irrationally," Mr McMurtrie said.
"I have spoken to a number of people who describe a normal member of their family going from a functioning human being to the devil in a very short space of time."
He believed New Zealand had missed an opportunity to stop the drug in its tracks.
"There have been a number of police commentators who have been saying for about three years now that this is coming, this is what is going to happen, put things in place now to deal with it, and everybody failed to listen and now we are suffering the consequences."
Full article:
Drug 'Pure' linked to sword attacks and gunshot death
You can read the earlier articles and follow up reports on the outcomes of the surviving victims here
A search on crimes associated with or relating to “Pure” meth came up with these
[ 07 February 2003: Message edited by: phase_dancer ]

pretty scary stuff.....but a good read.
interestingly, in thailand the problem is much worse.
in thailand there is a strong correlation between the upsurge in violent crime and methamphetamine abuse.
maybe with the increased use of meth here in australia, we too may soon encounter the same trend.

Scary to think that a drug used by many club goers may have the ability to alter the direction of an entire society...one by one!
I have seen it change people but not to the extent of the above :( As stated though, we might be about to follow suite!