Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Will genX ever become the norm??

DeMenTia02

Bluelighter
As far as i can tell there are more and more people enjoying alot of the aspects of 'rave' events rather than the normal drinking like a fool till 2am and spewing everywhere.
does anyone else find this to be true in their area.
I think the day people become smart about their drug use (read harm minimisation through government) will be the day it really does become the norm and clubs turn into drug use area's rather than the majority of the patrons using alcohol.
Interested to hear others opinions.

Even though it looks as though more and more people are enjoying the benifits of expanding thier minds etc etc, i think you'd be quite surprised to see just how many people are still oblivious to it, and then there are those that choose not to partake at all.
Being part of "the scene" yourself and having friends who are also part of "the scene" makes it look like everyone is doing it (read The norm).
I have no doubt that it is becomming widely popular and more and more people are choosing to enjoy different chems, but i still think at the moment its still very underground, in the sense that there is still a lot to learn about ecstacy and related chems.
Half of me wants the activities of GenX to become the norm so funding can go to research, testing and education, but the other half wants it to stay underground, because there is always the element of doing something illegal and NOT normal that is exciting. :D
Mehhh, my 2cents~
This may get more posts over in Social...(?)
DJC*

possibly maybe better in social..
Hrm, my friends have divided, some don't partake and some have converted/opened their minds alittle to new things.
but every big party i goto i see more and more people i used to know from school/clubbing comming to parties, either for their first time or have been getting into it, none of them have said a bad word about it.
ahh.. to see the faces of these people @ 10am the next morning and the music is still pumping and people still dacing.. PRICELESS.
will be interesting to see what happens in the next 10years in this scene.

When a couple buy an ounce of coke instead of a spending the money on a honeymoon?
BigTrancer ;)

Originally posted by BigTrancer:
When a couple buy an ounce of coke instead of a spending the money on a honeymoon?
No. When the couple take a few "ecstasy" tablets on their honeymoon. ;)
[ 06 February 2003: Message edited by: banga ]

middle age??
should you guys be showing some sort of alzheimers
problems because of your exctasy use ?
[ 06 February 2003: Message edited by: DeMenTia02 ]

now that u mention it i think that you're right. i've been into it about a year now, took 3 friends to * on NYE, they had a fuckn ball (one was a devoted hardcore punk fan) we left and they were asking where we were going out next. We told our friends that we had a ball, they'll all coming with us 2 the next one (after afew visits 2 home). we used 2 drink hard but thats all changed now, theres only one devoted drinker left in our group of about 10 close friends. the rest of my friends in the past 2 months have been converted to clubbers and ravers. it really seems to be the done thing now.
Its a hudge culture now and when i think about it i used to spend the same on alcohol, get smash drunk, get pissed off, do something stupid, have the shits, chuck, and be appologising 2 ppl the next day
for me it is much more important to take drugs responsibly than it was to drink responsibly
u sure it would b classified as gen X tho? wouldnt it be more of a gen y thing? (or somewhere in between)
[ 09 February 2003: Message edited by: crapdumwasteoftime ]
[Edit: Venue details removed. Please read the Guidelines. BigTrancer]
[ 10 February 2003: Message edited by: BigTrancer ]

I'd love to see statistics on the percentage of people in Australia aged 18 to 35 who have tried ecstacy at any stage in their lives. I'm talking recent numbers.
I share the views expressed in this thread in that it certainly *seems* like more and more people are doing it. Think of it this way... every weekend, hundreds, if not thousands are joining the ranks. Every long weekend or New Years Eve? Thousands more.
I would hazard a guess that at least a third of these have either a bad experience, no effect or simply indifferent experience and decide they won't do it again.
Another third decide it's fine, in moderation and do it very rarely; once or twice a year.
And perhaps another third turn into us. :D Hahahahaha...
It certainly looks even more insidious when you watch yourself or your own friends bring other friends into the fold. But what DJC said is also true, from that perspective it might seem like it's everywhere, when you're looking from inside the scene.
Yet outside of our scene, every weekend; hundreds of thousands crowd into pubs and 'straight' clubs, get drunk, try and pick up, fail and start a fight, get kicked out and go home only to return again the following weekend to try again.
I think that a majority of people who try ecstacy for the first time do have a positive experience and no doubt afterwards realise that it is a *better* way to party, even though it might not be something they can do all that regularly.
Yes, usage is increasing... but in what numbers, at what rate? Who knows. And will growth ever gain enough momentum to reach a saturation point where all people who are growing up and partying are exposed to ecstacy? I can only hope so. :D
I have a dream my friends.

Dementia, you're from Cairns, right? because i too have noticed a lot more people i know have been getting into the rave/doof scene in Cairns.
a lot of my friends still go out and drink like a fool, and spew at 2 in the morning, but they have also learnt the joy of doofing/raving all night long and say it is much better.
i have to admit the scene is getting a lot bigger in Cairns, and that has added up to some wicked parties!

well DeMenTia02, young'uns, i'm 36, have used MDMA (on and off) since 1985 (when the term GenX came out - and before the term "rave") and have consumed over 1,000 doses over this time.
no Alzheimers' or Parkinsons' symptomatology yet, but i've been pre-post loading for about the last 15 years.
i have been "inside" and looked from the "outside" at many "scenes."
...and...your generation is not the first to ponder the seemingly increasing shift in intoxicant use from alcohol to whatever; leading to a change in societal consciousness and to a "better world".
remember heroin and cocaine were legal and all the rage at the end of the 19th-early 20th century (read "Diary of a Drug Fiend" by mr. Crowley). The Red Army officers, during the Russian revolution and ensuing civil war, were mostly hardcore cokeheads.
and your parents, that time they and all their friends took some LSD and decided the world needed 'achangin....guess what? the alchie bars are still here.
like with everything else, with intoxicants there are fads and fashions - but they come and go depending on the direction of the media winds.
btw, most of the cool kids you see starting to attend bashes with drugs and loud, repetitive, 4x4 music will disappear in a couple years - either through attrition - developing schizophrenia/ O/C patterns, flattened affect, loss of ability to feel pleasure through other means, depression (for most of which they will be treated by the oh-so-lovely SSRI's), overdosing, getting a real life...or by turning into your parents.
and good ol' alcohol and good ol' gut-spewing alcoholics arent going to disappear any time soon...

I never really said that alcohol would disappear, i still like my drink.
I just found that more people are enjoying the scene and making it more 'normal'.
eg. 2 years ago if anyone said anything about raving/drugs all the responses were 'fuck that shit, drugs kill you and make you stupid'.
these days its 'yeh man, i've heard its pretty unreal, i wouldn't mind going for a look'
the statements on the scene are changing and really are becomming part of the partiers (this includes most alco's) staple party diet.
rave one weekend, get blotto the next.
just another place to go enjoy yourself and friends.
just my 2c

nanobrain, damn it, fuck that is a quality post, shit I think I'll have to bookmark this one ;P

I'd love to see statistics on the percentage of people in Australia aged 18 to 35 who have tried ecstacy at any stage in their lives. I'm talking recent numbers.
SEARCH and you shall find...
From the Aus Drug Discussion Forum Topic: NEWS: Youth drug culture a 'significant' health issue: AMA head - (Started 11 Apr 02).
"... With this dance culture now a legitimate form of popular youth culture and youth entertainment, we have seen an increase in the use of party drugs in an attempt to enhance this experience. There have also been reports that contrary to popular opinion, Ecstasy and associated drugs are increasingly being used in a variety of contexts, not just dance party related. When this information is coupled with the research indicating the increase in the use of illicit drugs, it's obvious that a significant public health issue is emerging. According to the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, nearly half of all Australians aged 14 years or older, have used illicit drugs. Twenty three per cent report having used drugs over the past 12 months.
Now, while marijuana is the most popular illicit drug by far, there is an emerging trend of an increasing use of psycho stimulants, such as Ecstasy, amphetamines and hallucinogens. In 1998, the percentage of the population over 14 years, who had used Ecstasy was almost five per cent, indicating a doubling of users over a seven-year period. This is an alarming figure for health workers and one that by all accounts will have increased in the three years since that study. It is clear that we have an emerging major community health problem...
" Dr. Kerryn Phelps, A.M.A. Pres., 2002 AMA Nat. Drugs Summit, Canberra.
Hope that helps. There is also a report published recently called something like "Trends in Party Drugs"... if I stumble upon it, I'll link it - I think it's got the full statistical rundown on use trends among age groups.
BigTrancer :)