Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Bad effects from speed

DiSturBeD_1

Bluelighter
A friend of mine asked me to ask this question:
He is a frequent IV user(err abuser) of speed
He asked me if i could find out why sometimes he gets a very bad reaction to it. it has happened to him 4-5 times in the last 3 years
he explained the following
about an hour after having a point and a bit he suddenly had a nasty dull headache and felt like his arms and legs were being eaten. He was sweating and had to lay down. He wasnt doing anything stressful at the time, just chatting to his gf. His gf also had the same symptoms come on 15min after him. Later on the next morning he had the same stuff again and was fine....
any suggestions??
thanx

Hmmmm... sounds like one of those cases of different time, different chemistry in the body.
Maybe it has something to do with the amount of dopamine reserves in the brain. i.e he did a point and a bit (IMHO that is quite a bit to IV), not enough dopamine, brain gets upset, body gets upset.
He has a sleep, replenishes his neurotransmitters, IV's his speed and there is enough dopamine to go around, it's all good.
I did say MAYBE...

The amount has nothing to do with it in my opinion. I've seen junkies that can go through a gram a day of pretty good meth.
It all comes down to the fact that if you IV, you're more prone to fucking up with impurities that may be destributed unevenly through the gear. (ie. same gear, diff effect every time).
If you eat/snort some shit stuff, you might not feel as bad because it doesn't hit you as hard as IV. Also, something called liver microscarring is a danger for all IV users. Every tiny little bit of water insoluble shit like dust present in the gear, will go right into your liver and other internal organs causing scarring. Unfortunatelly, many IV users will continue to try and prove to me that their way of taking it is indeed the safest and best...

Mmmmm.....Good question.
1) Speed is an Illegal Drug.... Hence uniformity in production is unreliable.
2) Precursor maybe Ephedrine or Pseudoephedrine. One is Acid PH the other is Alkaline (Cloudy V's Non Cloudy in mix)....This maybe cause of friend's "reaction". Speak to your friends they will confirm or deny this.
I have seen this before, however without Lab test of product it is hard to gauge.
Good luck with it.... 8)

Could be a few different things, generically known as a dirty hit. Since they both had negative effects, and later tried the same gear without ill effects, I'm wondering if it was a mild case of cotton fever? This is caused from bacteria that live in the cotton used to filter the mix.
It causes a fever (temp rise) but usually rectifies itself overnight, except in people especially sensitive, who may have severe allergic reactions (swelling etc) that has caused deaths.
Search around for more info on cotton fever.
[ 29 January 2003: Message edited by: Flexistentialist ]

Sounds like a dirty shot to me.
A dirty shot is when you get some dirt, eye lash, hair or whatever in your shot. The onset is usually earlier than 1/2 an hour though. It would explain why when he had it again it did not have the same effect.
The only way to fix it is to have another shot.

Maybe your mate should invest in some pill filters or bacteria filters?
I've heard you can get them from most needle exchanges, they screw on to a syringe and filter out harmful non-actives.

if your mate is concerned about his health why doesn't he just stopping IV'ing it. i've seen numerous people go down-the-gurgler shootin' shit.
obviously the hit is more important than his health.....crazy!

Just say no, kiddies! Doesn't really work, does it?
I've seen similar things which I've put down to impurites of various sorts. Filtering out anything insoluble is the least he should do. A bacterial filter will also get rid of a lot more. If he continues to inject and is worried about his health, he should really look into this.
DarkieX...are you serious? A dirty hit can necessitate a trip to the hospital.

All I can say is this: If you shoot street gear, your are a fucking moron, period.

You tools. If you can't answer someone's question then fuck off back to church. How dare you abuse someone that has come here asking for help. "Just say no" hasn't cut it for years.
Sorry DiSturBeD_1, rest assured that some half intelligent people do frequent this board.

Soma: If you haven't notice, i was the first one to offer constructive comments on the issue. I am however of the opinion stated above.

Originally posted by sinewriter:

That's the dumbest advice I have ever heard in my life.

well, maybe its not great advice, but i have had a few dirty hits in my time (from rust, dust, etc) and apart from going to hospital or anything like that, the only way to get rid of the pain is to have a clean shot.

I'm not familiar with the 'dirty hit' but to have another shot to get over a bad one is incredibly bad advice. If one shot of the gear has disagreed with you whats to say the next one won't kill you. If you’re having problems take yourself to hospital, they won't arrest you or call your parents unless it’s absolutely necessary. In which case you should definitely be under medical supervision anyway.
Shooting drugs bypasses your body's natural filters and therefore if you do have contaminated or a badly prepared hit your chance of suffering ad effects are increased by a significant amount. Make sure your hits are clean and filtered and if the gear is suss or gives bad reactions for gods sake don't shoot it.

startenhash: your advice sounds along the same lines of what I have heard before: If someone has had too much smack and is ODing, shoot some speed into him quickly to bring him back.
Great advice that one...but yours beats even that one!!!

This thread reminds me of the heroin threads in OD,this person probably couldn't give a fuck if an anonymous person on the internet has a problem with someone IV'ing drugs.Soma said it best.
As to your question,sorry i can't help.
Heroin is evil
If you inject your evil
Pre-marital sex is evil
Remember this site is supposed to be about harm minimisation,not criticizing people because they do something you don't like.
Just say no ;)

aloowishus: stopping people from shooting dirty street drugs **IS** harm minimisation. Just like DO NOT take pills if you know they contain PMA in any amount because eventhough 60mg might be safe, you DON'T know how much is in there.
Along the same lines, DON'T shoot gear you get of a drug dealer because you don't know if it contains dangerous stuff. (eg. water insolubles, toxic solvents etc.) Since the government does not supply the general community with pharmaceutcal grade meth, DON'T shoot unless you are a moron!
IV use is a whole different area to general drug use due to the dangers associated (so don't give me the "drugs are bad" sarcastic comments). Anyone educated in the IV dangers would consider it paramount to harm minimisation to stop as many people doing it as possible.