Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

methadone babies

lickable_lucy

Bluelighter
does anyone know where i can speak to ppl, or maybe know someone who was a methadone baby ?
i am interested to find if it affected them at all later in life. i have posted this in the dark side as well, im not sure if you want to move it. i thought more aussies would see it here. have searched the net with not much success

Effects on the Newborn
To date, none of the opioid drugs, including heroin and methadone, have been shown to produce physical birth defects in babies, although some research has found higher than usual rates of visual defects (i.e. strabismus). The most consistently reported effect on newborns is intrauterine growth retardation (IUGR) resulting in smaller-than-normal head size and low birth weight. It appears that infants born to methadone-maintained women who receive good prenatal care have relatively higher birth weights than do babies born to women who abuse heroin during pregnancy and have no prenatal care.
When opioids are taken during pregnancy, the fetus becomes physically dependent and usually undergoes opioid withdrawal after birth. It is estimated that 60-70% of infants born to mothers using heroin or methadone experience neonatal abstinence syndrome. Neonatal abstinence syndrome (NAS) primarily affects an infant's central nervous system. Gastrointestinal tract problems are also common. The symptoms of withdrawal in newborn babies can included: excessive sucking, muscle spasms, irritability, sweating, fever, seizures, breathing problems, high-pitched crying, disturbed sleep and feeding, stuffy nose, sneezing, hiccups, vomiting, and diarrhea. Symptoms usually develop 48 to 72 hours after birth, but may take up to four weeks to appear. NAS symptoms typically begin to subside after one week, but they have been known to persist for months in some babies. Factors determining the severity of NAS experienced by the baby are: the types of substances used by the mother, the timing of dose prior to delivery, the difficulty of labour, the amounts of anaesthetic and analgesic used during labour, the maturity and nutrition of the infant, and pre-existing diseases in the baby.
Many babies born to heroin-addicted moms have serious medical problems. Primarily resulting from prematurity, these medical problems include brain hemorrhages, hyaline membrane disease of the lungs, and respiratory distress syndrome. Statistically, children born to heroin-addicted mothers are also at higher risk of perinatally transmitted human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infections and sudden infant death syndrome.
Although infants born to mothers taking prescribed methadone may show signs of physical dependence, they can be treated easily and safely in the nursery. Research has also demonstrated that the effects of in utero exposure to prescribed methadone are relatively benign.
Women who are on a methadone program have fewer complications during pregnancy and childbirth and are generally healthier than those who are using heroin. This is probably due to a combination of clean, controlled drug use, and easier access to medical/prenatal care, as well as easing some of the stresses caused by the need to raise money to buy drugs. Methadone still crosses the placenta, so, if taken, some will reach the baby. There is some evidence of a reduction in fetal and obstetric complications with methadone. Babies cope better with a controlled and constant drug environment.
The above quote was taken from a much larger article at http://corp.aadac.com/drugs/beyond/opioidspreg.asp - it doesn't have medical references, but I hope it's a help.
Searching the web using the terms 'methadone birth defects' was very fruitful.
The following quote was taken from a WebMD article by Barry Herman MD and Susan Perry PhD, which is an excerpt from their book The Twelve-Month Pregnancy
Heroin and methadone. Even though heroin and methadone can affect menstrual function and the ability to conceive, addicts can and do become pregnant. No evidence exists at this time of an increased incidence of birth defects, but heroin and methadone are believed to affect the developing brain and may cause behavioral abnormalities later in childhood. The drug reaches the fetus in the uterus, making the developing baby an addict as well. Babies born to addicts often suffer severe withdrawal symptoms after birth and require intensive support.
I'm not sure if those quotes help you much, as it sounds like you're looking for later-in-life effects of methadone addiction and subsequent withdrawal at birth.
Another page that might help is Potential short and long-term effects on children born exposed to methadone. Good luck in your search for information.
BigTrancer :)
[ 13 January 2003: Message edited by: BigTrancer ]