• AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

News - ADD medication found to cut drug abuse

Fry-d-

Bluelight Crew
Found in the age this morning :
Anti-hyperactive stimulants found to cut drug abuse risk
January 7 2003
By Ruth Pollard

Children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorders who take stimulant drugs do not have an increased risk of abusing other drugs later in life, researchers have found.
Instead, the study from the Massachusetts General Hospital found medication for children with ADHD resulted in an almost two-fold reduction in the risk of future substance abuse.
"The present results indicate that clinicians probably need not fear that the stimulant treatment of children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder is predisposing those children to later drug use, dependence or abuse," the report in the January issue of Pediatrics said.
It also found cocaine and the stimulants used for ADHD possessed "distinctly different" properties, with stimulants entering and leaving the brain faster than cocaine.
Parents, young people and health professionals should be reassured by the study, said Paul Hutchins, head of child development at Sydney's Westmead Children's Hospital and chair of stimulants sub-committee at NSW Health.
"If there is any increased risk of substance-use disorder in children who have ADHD . . . it is limited to the group that have conduct disorder as well," Dr Hutchins said.
Conduct disorder relates to a sustained history of anti-social behaviours such as theft, truancy and, in some cases, arson.
He pointed to a gap between society's view of ADHD and the "misplaced" concerns around stimulant medication, and what he termed the reality that medication, when properly prescribed, was an appropriate treatment for the disorder.
"We need to focus our attention on children with learning difficulties, on the need for more family support . . . These are the areas in which we are falling down," Dr Hutchins said.
The researchers examined six long-term studies comparing just over 1000 medicated and unmedicated people over four years. They found a significant overall reduction in the risk of later substance abuse among those on stimulant treatment. Four of the six studies showed "striking protective effects of stimulant medications".
The Age
Now that is interesting, I don't know if I could agree with that research or not. Some of my own research may be slightly conflicting ;)

I've heard this one before- these results aren't exactly new, I guess they have just taken a while to filter through to mainstream media here. I reckon it would be interesting to scrutinise this study. Let's face it - when you want to prove something, it's not too hard to streamline a study to do just that.
What they really need to do now is a study (not funded by a drug company) to look at the long term health effects of giving stimulants to kiddies. Can you believe that not a single study of this type has been done, even though kiddies have been given stims for years now?

^^^
No shit! It's cause they don't want to find out how much harm they've been doing, that's what I reckon at least.

Perhaps a similar study to that which was recently done in Australia with pot smoking teenagers and mental health?
It seems rather astonishing that while illicit drugs are currently receiving increasing attention in this area (particularly if there's the good chance of negative findings) many pharmaceuticals which pass phase 3 trials don't.
I thought such feedback and surveys were part of phase 4 trials; trials of some drugs seem to go on for years. I guess in argument it could be said that because amphetamine has been used for so long, any and all properties, acute and chronic effects etc. are well known ;)
The real test of course, would be to "follow" kids presently on these medications for 15 or so years after prescribing ceases.
Then of course another question needs to be asked. What is the determined age when amphetamine has enough negative affects to shift it from a prescription drug to an illicit and dangerous drug with no recognised use outside of military applications?
I know of an adult in his thirties who is prescribed Dexamphetamine. Although not officially prescribed for the purpose, he found he was able to give up a 15 year IV meth addiction with supplemental (oral) use of amphetamine.
Now if Dex is so effective, even when self administered, why aren’t rehab centers looking at such treatment options?

I find dexies keep me away from illicit speed.
I am unsure why they would'nt use dexies in rehabs, but it's probably for the same reasons they wont give heroin to smackheads to stablize their lives.
It's all about the votes.