• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Growing 5HTP ;Griffonia simplicifolia ! :)

Oceanboy

Bluelighter
Growing 5HTP ;Griffonia simplicifolia
OK, so 5HTP is sourced from this plant Griffonia simplicifolia.
Now anybody here tried growing it?
Is it legal to do so?
Potential,Potential,But I don't wan't to break the law.
I know I can order the seeds;is that legal to import to Australia? I guess to a TGA search/query heh?
Also i noticed on one of those sources of 5HTP http://www.recovere.comthey sell in Australian Dollars on their order web page.Are they an Australian company or is there a sensor saying I am browsing from Down-Under?
I hopes and wishes alls well to you wonderful beings!
Much Love
O

i would save yourself the trouble and buy it in caps. im sure its a much higher purity than you would be able to extract out yourself, and the effort involved?

Of course, it'd be terrible to break the law by making something to help a pill comedown. Pills being perfectly legal obviously...

Yep recovere.com is Australian, but offer lesser value than overseas vendors.....if you look at the quantity of the cap you will see.

L-5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) is a natural extract from the seeds of the Griffonia simplicifolia tree found principally in the West African countries of Ghana, Ivory Coast and Togo.
Hope you live in an African climate...
Oh yeah, by the way, AFAIK the FDA requirement on 5-HTP sales is that it must be free of an impurity which shows up in High Pressure Liquid Chromatograph testing as a peak, called 'Peak-X'. All 5-HTP I've seen is HPLC tested to assure that it's free of this Peak-X which has been at the centre of debate on this subject for some time. Whether this is a serious concern (it's not known for sure whether Peak-X is causally related to cases of EMS) or not, is a matter of opinion, it seems.
Researchers at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., reported detecting small amounts of a contaminant dubbed Peak X in retail samples of 5-HTP products Sept. 1, 1998. The contaminant sickened a mother and her two children with the same rare blood disease that killed 38 tryptophan users a decade earlier.
The FDA, concerned about 5-HTP's close chemical relationship to tryptophan, investigated the findings. Other than encouraging manufacturers to test vigilantly for contaminants that year, the agency took no action. There have been no reports since.
http://www.newhope.com/nfm-online/nfm_backs/Nov_00/5htp_s1.cfm
http://www.mayo.edu/news/5HTP/EMSdiscuss.html
http://www.mineralconnection.com/peakx.htm
How would you test your extract of Griffonia simplicifolia for purity?
BigTrancer :)
[ 07 January 2003: Message edited by: BigTrancer ]

Good luck getting the seeds to germinate. I know of a source in Aust for seeds that are suposed to be viable, but no-one has ever succeeded in germinateing them.
Later

Iguess this leads to slightly may I suggest; how legal is a khattery?

Information Sheet - Importation of Khat into Australia
Khat is a plant (botanical name Catha edulis) grown extensively in parts of Eastern Africa and Southern Arabia. Its fresh leaves and tops are chewed or dried and consumed as tea in some African communities. The plant contains two active substances, cathine and cathinone, both of which where placed under international control in 1986 by inclusion in the United Nations (UN) Convention on Psychotropic Substances 1971.
Australia's obligations under international drug control treaties require controls to be exercised over the importation and exportation of designated substances, including the active ingredients ofkhat. These controls are exercised under Regulation 5 of the Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations and require importers to hold both a Licence to Import and a Permit to Import a controlled substance. A Permit to Import is also required for each shipment of a controlled substance and will not be issued unless a Licence is already held. There are two types of permits, single use Import Permits and Annual Permits. Annual Permits allow importers to import once a month for up to twelve months. All permits must be obtained in advance of the controlled substances arriving in Australia.
In addition to control at the Commonwealth level, each Australian State and Territory controls the possession, storage and supply of certain classes of substances, including the active constituents of khat.
Against this regulatory background is the need to strike a balance between cultural requirements of individuals from the Horn of Africa communities residing in Australia and the potential for abuse of the substances. For this reason the matter was recently referred to the National Coordination Committee on Therapeutic Goods (NCTTG), which includes representation from the Commonwealth and all State and Territory Health Portfolios.
The committee endorsed an interim proposal allowing the importation of khat by individuals for personal use only. This proposal allows the Commonwealth to issue licences and permits for importation of up to 5kg ofkhat per month for personal use, provided written advice is received from the relevant State/Territory Health Authority that such importation will not result in a breach of legislation within that jurisdiction and there is no objection to a Licence being issued to the particular applicant.
The issue will also be referred to the National Drug Strategy Committee for advice on the potential harm arising from the use of khat. In the light of that advice, the necessary restrictions under the Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations will be reviewed and if necessary, in line with Australia's UN obligations, the regulations will be amended accordingly.
Individual's who wish to apply for a licence to import Khat will need to complete the relevant application form. Copies of the information pack for intended importers are available from the Treaties and Monitoring Unit of the Therapeutic Goods Administration, Ph (02) 6270 4328
From http://www.health.gov.au/tga/docs/pdf/khatapp.pdf
Looks like it's an illegal substance in Australia, that you can only import for personal use if you have a license (and?) or cultural reasons for doing so. I'm unsure of the legality of growing this plant, but since it's constituent chemicals are controlled, I imagine it's restricted.
Someone may have more information than I. This was just the first thing I found using Google, searching on the terms "khat site:au"...

I read somewhere last year that there are only three or four plants that are actually illegal to grow in Aus: coca, opium poppies, marijuana and maybe one other.
Other things like peyote, khat, salvia, etc are OK if they are growing but become illegal to possess once they are harvested/picked.
Sounded like a bit of a weird distiction to me, but it could be true I guess...
Regards.

^ Intuitively, that sounds right to me, but I don't have facts to back that up ATM. I'm fairly sure it's legal to grow cacti and such but not legal to harvest and consume them.
*search* *search* *search*...[/]
OK, so I found the New South Wales Drug Misuse and Trafficking Act 1985 URL. That's a good start. Now I just gotta find the part about "prohibited plants"...
Hmm... well, Schedule 1 of the above act (ie. the list we refer to when we say that a drug is listed as illegal) contains Cathinone and Methcathinone, which I guess makes it illegal to extract, purify, administer, sell, trade, lend or do pretty much anything other than water one of those plants.
I spose it would be pretty hard to prove that khat plants were ornamental if you had 1,500 of them in your back yard and jars of Khat extract sitting around the house :p Perhaps one of our legal buffs can clear this issue up?