• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Taking Welbutrin for Depression. Is it ok to add 5-HTP and St Jons Wort?

Tweak Thizz

Bluelighter
K well I just got outta the mental hospital and they prescribed me 150Mg of welbutrin daily. I used to take 300mg/day but the doctor took it away cause he saw "side effects." I ordered this thing where it has 5-htp and st jons wort all in one. Is it fine to take? And do you know the effectiveness of these? is 5-htp more effective than jons wort or vice versa? Thanks guys. :)

This seems like a question for a doctor because they are trained in this and your doc would know your medical history.

TBH, I can't imagine st johns wort would be dangerous to take as well, but again you should consult your doctor.

On a side note, how does your doctor notice symptoms like that? Does he hangout with you often? How could he see those side effects when you're sitting on a paper covered table for 15 minutes?

This seems like a question for a doctor because they are trained in this and your doc would know your medical history.

TBH, I can't imagine st johns wort would be dangerous to take as well, but again you should consult your doctor.

On a side note, how does your doctor notice symptoms like that? Does he hangout with you often? How could he see those side effects when you're sitting on a paper covered table for 15 minutes?

Well it wasnt my doctor i guess it was my dad and he told the doctor about it.

I would suggest against anti-depressants and 5-htp or sjw because of the chance of Serotonin Syndrome, which can be fatal.

google - Drug Interactions and type ur medications and it will tell u the dangers

I would suggest against anti-depressants and 5-htp or sjw because of the chance of Serotonin Syndrome, which can be fatal.

google - Drug Interactions and type ur medications and it will tell u the dangers

Well Welbutrin works diff, its a reuptake inhibitor for dopamine and norinpinephrine, not serotonin.

They are all pretty interrelated and you have to be careful. Assuming it has no effect on serotonin just because it is only called a DNRI is not wise.

edit:
From the wikipedia article on bupropion...

Bupropion does not inhibit monoamine oxidase or serotonin reuptake. However, it has been shown to indirectly enhance the firing of serotonergic neurons, via activation of downstream norepinephrine flow.

Last edited:
Bupropion also acts as a nicotinic acetylcholine receptor (nAChR) antagonist.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bupropion

Yeah you need to talk to your doctor about this. I'm personally on several serotonergic drugs but you gotta be careful, and your doctor is (or should be) an expert at interactions. Oh yeah, and see a psychiatrist if you don't have a regular one - I wouldn't trust a GP to know a lot about psych drugs in general.