• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Light headed

wooger

Bluelighter
So I posted here a while back about going light headed after exercise but that seems to be less of problem these days...

However, something weird is happening. I have hardly been eating recently, like maybe 1300 calories a day. The thing is I have no appetite and when I do eat its kind of 'oh shit, I really should eat something'.

Anyway, I notice I get these random attacks of feeling light headed, especially when standing up quickly. For instance, I was tickling my cat in the garden today when I decided to abandon him and as I stoof up to leave I felt really light headed but it cleared after about 1 minute, but these lil attacks seem to be happening fairly regularly, like 4 or 5 times a day.

I know it may sound like an obvious answer but I was wanted opinions on whether it was down to food or something worse?

While it could be something worse (after all, no one is going to be able to diagnose you over the Internet :p), it sounds to me as though it is due to your lack of eating. When you do eat, is it healthy food or is it mostly junk? No offense meant, but it could be that you're anemic or just suffering from low blood pressure--'Cause what you have sounds like orthostatic hypotension: dizziness, faintness, lightheadedness, etc. caused by low blood pressure upon standing.

If a change in diet (increase in calories to at least 1400 for a female--Not sure what it is for a male) doesn't help, go see your doctor.

^^what she said. The blood rushing from your brain when you stand up quickly could also be a contributing factor

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks - I mentioned this today when I was speaking to him (over the phone so not like he could do his thing) and he said its prolly that I'm hyperventilating without realising due to anxiety :S sounded a bit weird to me...

low blood pressure dood! eat some food and drink some water :p
you will feel better instantly
or just drink gatorade if u arent hungry

try eating healthier. I know when I used to eat like really badly that would happen to me often

hmm I do generally eat pretty healthily - when I do eat, like I say I don't really get hungry... I think it may have a lot with the medication I've been taking... I didn't really connect it with lightheadedness until the dr up the dose and it got ALOT worse so I'm gunna get off that and see if things improve...

if not I guess I will try the magnesium, I get plenty of iron (and its in centrum which I take daily) so I dunno whether more could help.... what kind of doses for these two would you suggest??

well make sure you get the slow Fe iron or youll be all clogged up also magnesium can make u really nauseous on an empty stomach..im not sure about dosages but i had the same exact issue at one point, just getting really light headed for a few weeks for no apparent reason(i even passed out once) i finally went to doc and iron was really low...it def helped..another symptom of low iron is a runny nose! weird huh

also sometimes lightheadedness can be caused by internal bleeding (say an ulcer or bleeding in your G.I tract somewhere..) and also allergies like hayfever etc...or if your a full blown hypocondriac you might want to consider the possibility of something more ominous; say a brain tumor or something....