• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzo tolerance?

molly897

Bluelighter
If thread needs to be moved sorry

I'm on 10mg of klonopin. I took 4 1mgs at once then 6 1mgs at once a half hour later. Drank three cups of black coffee and I'm wide fucking awake. My tolerance went seriously down when I was getting off this shit. I went from 8mg to 1-2mg over a few months and now I can take 10mg and be wide fucking awake? From coffee?

I want to go to sleep :( and I'm on my last red. Fml

damn thats crazy i think id be passed out ....thats like taking 5 of the green ones aint it? i will take klonopins sometimes when they around i mostly like xanex helps me sleep what would 10mg of klonopins = to a bar (2mg of Xanax) im thinking that would be more huh ..

but i really been having trouble with sleep myself getting clean and sober off opiates Xanax is the main thing that helps me i been able to get 1mg xan and i been taking some Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) with my xanny dose and it seems to help for me ..i had trouble even getting to sleep with ambien i would take up to 5 to 8 some nights early as 8pm and try to sleep and finally goto sleep after 2am and ambien supposed to be top notch sleeping aid ..i dunno i guess u gotta find what works for you or even what combo works

out of curiosity why did you drink coffee if you wanted sleep??

tolerance develops rapidly to benzodiazepines and even if your tolerance drops down it will go up even rapidly than before.

benzodiazepine sensitivity is decreased at feed-forward synapses via decreased expression of GABA subunits klonopin targets. what you could try is getting a partial agonist benzo, if any of them are sold in your country. it seems tolerance develops very slowly or might not develop at all if used correctly

i know i fucked myself by taking this much considering i killed what was left of my month prescription tonight pretty much. i drank coffee and went through a pack of reds like nobodies business. 3 large cups straight black with sugar cause i wanted to fuck myself up and pass out had a bad day instead it just backfired in my face

@banging yeah it's equivalent to that. plus i snorted like 2mg like a dumbass. i want to switch to xanax but it makes me mean and a horrible person but it works better than klonopin for my anxiety. i was gonna ask for both tomorrow at my psych appointment cause i can't deal with this tolerance shit xanax i can take half a bar in the morning half a bar around 8 and be fine. but it makes me an asshole.. i'll try some benedryl actually, thank you i think we have that

10 mg of klonopin is 5 bars just time released. but i put em under my tongue so they kick in faster. so pretty much i took two bars at once, then four bars a half hour later

Last edited:
i know this one guy back in the day i used to get bars for ...and this fool would eat 10 bars at one time i seen him do it more then one time....if i took 10 bars at once id be either dead or assed out for a long time and he would still be somewhat function-able i mean he would drive off after chillin long enuff for them to kick in and drive decent i mean he was wopped but 10 bars..got damn he built that tolerance up tho but still.. i actually seen him within the last year and got him some bars and he only pops like 2 or 3 off top now so i guess he got his tolerance back in check i wanna say he did say he would still take atleast 5 or more thru out the night

Last edited:
i ate 8 bars one time after rehab turned me away and i was flipping my shit fuck this fuck you you don't wanna help me fine fuck myself then

it is crazy how you can function on them if you have a tolerance. last year i would take .5 of xanax and sleep for 12 hours

best advice i can give would be to ask your doctor about possible other medications.

pregabalin (lyrica) seems to work for most people. its very expensive tho

traditional 1,4benzodiazepine (klonopin and xanax are ones too) bind to α1 / α2 / α3 / α5 GABAA benzodiazepine site

there are partial agonists that bind to α1-α6. tolerance to such drugs seem to increase slower and there is some cross-tolerance (but its little) compared to full agonists like klonopin, you could possibly ask your doctor about switching to one or combine it with your normal klonopin full agonist

this pic has been posted before on this forum but il paste it again. it illustrates the GABAA receptor proteine, you can see the benzodiazepine binding site marked as BZD

GABAA-receptor-protein-example.png

and here is a pic of GABAA receptor schematic structure, the subunits α1-α6 (the picture on right side)

GABAA_receptor_schematic.png

thanks for the diagram! my husband told me there's medication that are anti-antagonists and completely diminish the side effects of coming down/wearing off. but i'm not really sure what they're called. i will ask my psych tomorrow. i just hate switching medication. i have alot of jobs and i can't afford to be fucked up/feeling shitty randomly one day you know what i mean

ahh yes lyrica i have thought of that. i'm on zoloft now and officially HATE it. i loved it at first, now it gives me horrible anxiety. i'm going to switch back to wellbutrin. no side effects at all it was great

Xanax has been one of the few things that actually will help me sleep and help my anxiety i wish i had it prescribed to me....and i just quit doing opiates a few months ago so it would really be helpful now for the stress and depression that comes along with all that

i can have upto 10-14mg of xanax and feel very little if anymore than a 2mg dose.
it helps with my anxiety, but i get very little if any hypnotic effect from it.

when did you take your dose?
clonazepam can take some time to kick in as you would know and the effects aren't felt as sharply as a quicker acting benzo - maybe give it a bit more time and attempt to sleep and see how you go.

when i had some as a sample i wasn't able to find a dose that produced any effects and gave up after taking 4mg in the morning and 4mg at night with still nothing as i dont want to be on such a large daily dose.
probably not the best choice as a sleep aid if you are taking them daily so would be worth discussing your options with your Dr.

^yeah at my worst dependency i was on 8mgs and needed more so bad but 8mg is the legal prescribed dose (so i was told), librium i was taking like 100mgs of that shit a day (dunno if you know that benzo, it's old)

i took the 4mgs at 6:30? around then and then the 6mgs at 7. my husband blew out our tire cause he's a fast crazy driver and hit the curb and after the horrible day i had i just said fuck it and took my bottle out. it's been wayyyyyy long enough i should be sleeping. it's definitely the coffee and pack of reds i smoked in the meantime

i talk in my sleep too. i think i need sleeping pills. but i don't want to start new meds like i said, it sucks. but my husband says i talk about scary things like "nooo get off of me!" or "why are you walking up those stairs?" and i'll have no recollection of it the next morning. i also grind my teeth like a mofo when i sleep :/

i'm diagnosed ADHD/OCD/Borderline/manic depressive/suicidal/anxety and panic disorder but i only take medications for my anxiety and depression.

i dunno if it's cause i'm dehydrated but my hands look like a 50 yr olds right now. every single vein i didn't even know existed is popping out

@bangin that's why i like xanax is cause i only take it when i need to get to sleep. otherwise i'm a zombie/mean bitch the entire day but it does the trick and knocks me out

just took my zoloft, hopefully that helps with waking up tomorrow with severe rebound anxiety. hate the shit but it keeps me tolerant of people

Last edited:
yea i try to use it mainly for sleep aid being that so many other sleep aids don't work for me...even like i said ambien which is a strong sleeping pill and way back when i used to take Xanax more for the high i would take a few bars at a time and be loaded but still awake when i had somewhat of a tolerance

i also have AD/HD and anxiety and slight depression i just recently started seeing a shrink and she pretty much pin pointed my depression and what not to my childhood..i had 3 close friends die before reaching 18 and 2 of them killed themselves the other was a OD he was 14 and others was like 16 and 17 maybe and my dad died when i was like 12/13 so that happen right before that other shit and thats when i started acting out and doing drugs ...plus my mom was an addict and alcoholic
i even found her on the floor almost dead one time and had to call 911 when i was in middle school
due to her drinking and abusing pills.... and she went to a long 6 month rehab or some shit and i remember them letting her leave that cuz of my dads death but they was divorced too which she said coulda helped mess me up but they still loved each other and got along i dunno i prolly should be on some anti depressants actually ...but i always didnt have no insurance and always self medicated

that's really sad bangin. sorry to hear about that.. family problems are what led to my drug use too. never knew my dad, my mom was always working/busy (up until i was 17) and then my friend also died of methadone and cocaine so i started cutting but switched to smoking weed instead cause i knew cutting was wrong. when my mom found out she kicked me out at 18 and the first drug i did was MDMA. skipped the natural shit went straight to chemicals lol

i don't talk about my personal family issues with my psychiatrist cause i feel i'll be judged differently or put on something else. like i would never tell my current psych i think about killing myself everyday and that i'm borderline cause she'd probably take me off what helps me right now and put me on anti-psychotics. i'm really really violent

anti depressants do work but i feel they are a booster, not a long term thing. once your receptors restore what they need is when i feel you should start tapering off your anti depressant

that's really sad bangin. sorry to hear about that.. family problems are what led to my drug use too. never knew my dad, my mom was always working/busy (up until i was 17) and then my friend also died of methadone and cocaine so i started cutting but switched to smoking weed instead cause i knew cutting was wrong. when my mom found out she kicked me out at 18 and the first drug i did was MDMA. skipped the natural shit went straight to chemicals lol

i don't talk about my personal family issues with my psychiatrist cause i feel i'll be judged differently or put on something else. like i would never tell my current psych i think about killing myself everyday and that i'm borderline cause she'd probably take me off what helps me right now and put me on anti-psychotics. i'm really really violent

anti depressants do work but i feel they are a booster, not a long term thing. once your receptors restore what they need is when i feel you should start tapering off your anti depressant

damn sorry to hear about all the family shit and everything some people dont understand what its like to live a hard life and be raised in fucked up situations and they look down on people and judge them when they have no damn right too.. my gf used to cut herself before i got her to stop and helped her find other outlets
and she tried to kill herself when she was young and says she thinks about it alot i just try to be there for her ya know ..the lady i been seeing isnt a shrink that can right me prescriptions its some kinda free service family shit i dunno but she can refer me but i would mostly need something to sleep or even for anxiety reasons

thanks :) that's great you're there for your gf. i dunno what i'd do without my husband. it takes a really really strong person and alotta love to deal with a girl that's suicidal and has problems like that. ha i can only count on one hand (thank god) the times i've tried killing myself. drowning myself, huffing nail polish remover, ODs. i searched 6 months for heroin just to kill myself. but my husband stopped me and thank god he did or i'd be dead! lol

and yeah everyone looks at me like i had everything i ever wanted when in reality just because your parents (well my parent in my case) supplied you with food, a roof over your head doesn't mean shit. especially when they are so oblivious to what's going on around them. it's the first generation man, the ones that hate gays, the republicans (no offense to any republicans here hahah). parents think it's just a phase

you got insurance? you can go to a general pract. for sleeping aids and anxiety. screw psychiatrists for that (unless you want to talk and get diagnosed)
hell i got adderall from a GP

yea i think gettin back on my AD/HD meds might be productive and i dont have insurance right now im dealing with a back injury trying to figure out what it is goin thru a charity hospital or what ever i had to prove i dont have a job right now to get the free services i just got a MRI done so hopefully i get them results soon i think thats part of my not bein able to sleep its so painful to lay on my back but once i get this problem fixed i can try to goto a real doctor and i can use what the psychiatrist said had a referal kinda she pretty much told me that i need to see a doctor and xanex is what she would suggest so i can tell them that and im sure they wont deny it

yea and about my girl i been with her for awhile and shes 10000 % better but she still has problems she hasnt cut her self since we been together well i think like once early early in our relationship i told her that id always be there and when she does that shes hurtin me and we figured out other ways to deal with it ...and i made sure she knew that i understand that problem and its not something i would leave her over..cuz shes been treated like shit from guys in the past and her trust was real fucked up she had guys leave her when they found out she cut herself and called her crazy and shit but that was after they used her for what they wanted.... and she was even raped when she was in her teens ...and she even had her dad abuse her and put a gun to her head that aint cool shes lucky i listen to her or i woulda really fucked him up but i guess she didnt want me to get in trouble

xanax/klonopin is actually a painkiller aswell as a benzo. my husband has 3 split discs and a whole bunch of other crap but refuses to go on pks (yay)

i've started letting him use my klonopin cause i go to different doctors so i have like one prescription a month for 2mg and then another with refills for 3mgs. i just hate to see him go through the beginning stages of it. cause you feel like utter shit til you build up your tolerance. i have to like shove a .5 of klonopin in his mouth while he's sleeping so he doesn't wake up on edge and he's been telling me it's been helping his back pain ALOT.

that's exactly what my husband says!! aww! i swore i'd never cut myself again just cause it hurts him soooo bad. i have kinda started dabbling in burning though :/ you seem like such a good guy to stick by her. i know 100% nobody else would deal with my shit, like you said her ex bfs called her crazy, i've beat the shit out of my husband before in a fit of rage numerous times, slammed a guitar over his back, and he still loves me like he always has cause he understands what borderline personality is. wow we are way too similar..

i was almost molested by my cousin when i was 10, he just whipped out his dick and was like come on touch it. that's beyond fucked up what her dad did. you should post pics of you guys in the couples thread!

i do know know that when i take xanax it does help my back some it atleast takes the edge off of it ya know

yea i really care about her at first i really didnt understand it and i was almost scared away but i did like her and cared for her so i did research on it and found out about why people who cut do it and i know its not like she just does it for the fuck of it and shes a good person and i know shes been wronged by damn near everybody in her life other then a couple of her cousins she might beat my ass if i go posting pictures of her on the internet tho lol id have to run that by her she gets self conscious n shit on certain shit... and some days it changes i dunno

awww haha. well you guys seem like you will be together a while. i was only with my husband for a year and a couple months before we got married. i knew right off the bat that if anyone was gonna put up with my shit it was him. so i wish you guys the best luck!!!!

the pain relief you guys are referring to would be more due to muscle relaxant properties of clonazepam i would imagine.
xanax will offer some relief if you don't have much of a tolerance, but is more suited as an anti anxiety and once your system adjusts to it that is the effect that will most prominent.