• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film Looking for moody / atmospheric / surreal stuff

TheAppleCore

Bluelighter
I really don't know anything about film or animation.

I feel like I'd really enjoy something that I offers artistic sets / animation, and careful attention paid to mood and atmosphere.

I also enjoy surrealism. I'm a huge fan of David Firth's animations.

Philosophical stuff is very cool too -- I loved Waking Life (not to mention the great animation).

Basically -- quirky, unique, subtle vibes. Taking my brain somewhere it's never been. Martin Scorcese's films keep me riveted for this reason, as well. Hopefully you're getting an idea of my tastes by now. I'd really appreciate recommendations for films, TV shows, animations, etc.!

metropia
valhalla rising
Alice
Soft for Digging
labryrinth of darkness
enter the void
nightwatch
titus
the fall
the living and the dead-this movie is awesomely weird!

Some of what i would suggest has already been listed; so i'll leave you with one of my all-time favorite movies for its artistic value, emotional depth, atmosphere and amazing soundtrack.

Stay - I honestly feel this movie was hugely underrated, i thought it was a masterpiece, the cinematography was beautifully filmed and theirs so many subtle vibes that bring the film together that i guess most people didn't notice.

FYI: Avoid the trailer, its horribly designed and doesn't do this movie any justice at all.

Last edited:
images

Get the English subtitles

hmm, upon hearing "moody / atmospheric / surreal stuff" first thing that popped into my brain was david lynch. eraserhead, lost highway, mulholland drive and inland empire i think all fit into moody+surreal steez

Santa Sangre as well, very surreal.

Naked Lunch bizarre and surreal, plus being set in the 1950's and having this weird espionage story gives it that moody film noir vibe imo.

animation wise Parpika comes to mind crazy dream like stuff.

Yeah, Bardo. Learn to read, brah.

OP, if you enjoyed Waking Life you might also like A Scanner Darkly. Phillip K Dick ftw

Suggestion retracted for not being surreal/moody/atmospheric enough.

^I'll definitely check out "The Addiction," thanks. I somehow never heard of that but it sounds like something I'd be really into.

I've been putting off responding to this thread because I've been trying to think of what films have atmospheres similar to David Firth or Scorcese (plus I knew it was going to take a while to craft this monster post). But I guess since those are so different from each other you're probably open to lots of others, AppleCore?

Out of all the elements of film, I've probably been motivated most in my search by a lust for thick novel atmospheres. There's something profoundly fascinating about them. Unfortunately, the horror genre -- often impoverished in other areas -- is where I've found most of the efforts in the art of atmosphere concentrated (which is only natural, as the nightmare provides so much of the inspiration within it). "Susperia" is among the best examples from horror. I liked the two sequels, too: Inferno, and Mother of Tears (I'm in a minority with regard to Mother of Tears, though).

Here's two great shorts by Jan Svankmejer for anyone just looking for a sample: Down to the Cellar

Lightness, Dark, Lightness

I agree with most of the recommendations so far, esp. "Inland Empire".

Anyways, here's my recommendations when atmosphere is the priority above all else (I've tried to include some that are lesser known or may not typically be considered):

"Destino": This short film was a collaboration between Salvador Dali and Walt Disney. It played before the theatrical version of "Triplets of Belleville".

destino1.jpg

Wizards (and other Ralph Bakshi, esp. Heavy Traffic)
images

Takashi Miike's "Box" (one of three short films in "Three Extremes")
piff04-7.jpg

Also by Miike, "Izo". It's about a betrayed soul's journey to end existence by destroying karma, which in the process becomes a new principal of reality-- I think. It's one of the most extreme and bizarre movies I've ever seen. A bit discombobulated, yes, but with moments of manic intensity and super-saturated mood.

flagandblood1.jpg

David Cronenberg's "Existenz"

Rob Zombie's "House of 1,000 Corpses" and "The Devil's Rejects." Zombie gets lots of hate, but if you love the haunted house carnivalesque nightmare aesthetic he's great.

"Taxadermia," but not right after you eat. "Hukkle" is another great but very different surrealist work by the same director, György Pálfi. Keep an eye on him if you like surrealism.

"Malpertuis" This one's almost unknown, but highly surreal and well produced. It takes place in a mansion with all sorts of hidden hallways and haunted portals with monsters from Greek myths. With Orsen Wells!

Surrealist+rooms.png

"Delicatessen"
Delicatessen-thumb-560xauto-23765.gif

"Uzimaki Spiral" (the horror is the metaphysical shape of a spiral! Very unique.)

still_87.jpg

"Blood Simple"

PDVD_002.JPG

"Visions of Frank" "Whim Grinder"

visisonsoffrank.gif

Tarkovsky's "Stalker" (very philosophical)

stalker.jpg

Last edited: