Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

BZP, TFMPP, 2C-I, Salvia Schedule 2 in QLD

Flexistentialist

Bluelight Crew
Designer drugs banned - Courier Mail 21 Dec 02
STATE authorities have launched a pre-emptive strike against the latest overseas drug crazes by banning four drugs even though they have not yet appeared in Queensland.
Premier Peter Beattie said yesterday that designer drugs called BZP, TFMPP and 2C-I had been banned in Queensland as from yesterday.
Also outlawed was the plant salvia divinorum (salivia divinorum) – a Mexican native chewed or smoked by users for an effect similar to that caused by hallucinogen LSD.
"These drugs are already a scourge overseas and police intelligence reports suggest they could appear in Queensland," Mr Beattie said.
He said the drugs – also called Legal E or Legal X – were sold in tablet form and had caused deaths in the US and Europe.
Link here.
Here's a copy of the statement straight from the *ahem* horses mouth.
Premier & Trade
The Hon. Peter Beattie MP
20 December 2002
Government bans dangerous drugs quartet
The State Government today acted on early warnings from overseas to ban four dangerous drugs - three new designer drugs and a hallucinogenic plant.
Premier Peter Beattie and Attorney-General and Minister for Justice, Rod Welford said the designer drugs BZP, TFMPP and 2C-I were banned in Queensland as of today.
They also announced the prohibition of Salvia divinorum, a plant that is chewed or smoked for LSD-like effects.
"These drugs are already a scourge overseas, and police intelligence reports suggest they could appear in Queensland," Mr Beattie said.
"We are banning them before they hit Queensland's streets, threaten the lives of young people and enrich the coffers of traffickers and dealers.
"The three designer drugs - sometimes referred to as 'Legal E' or 'Legal X' - are usually sold in tablet form and have been seized in the United States and Europe at venues frequented by young people, such as dance clubs.
"The overseas experience is that they may cause dangerous side-effects - and can kill.
"BZP is known to have caused a death in Switzerland.
"Such drugs - and the low-life who might profit from them - are not welcome in Queensland.
"We are acting now to add them to the banned list, so anyone thinking of importing or producing these drugs will be subject to Queensland's tough anti-drug laws.
"They are now Schedule 2 drugs under the Drugs Misuse Act.
"Anyone caught producing, trafficking or dealing in these drugs can expect up to 20 years in prison, and possession will carry a penalty of between 15 and 20 years in jail," Mr Beattie said.
Mr Welford said the decision to add Salvia divinorum to the banned list was a precaution based on its prevalence in the United States.
"Salvia divinorum is a dangerous hallucinogen often used as an LSD substitute," he said.
"It is chewed or smoked and can cause psychological problems or physical injury to people who lose control.
"This drug has not yet been found in Queensland, but we have decided to add it to our banned list so police have powers to act if it is discovered.
"It will now be a Schedule 2 drug with the same penalties for trafficking and dealing as the designer drugs.
"Our Government makes no apologies for going hard on drug manufacturers, traffickers and dealers.
"Those in our society who want to peddle evil and destroy lives by selling drugs of addiction should face maximum penalties," Mr Welford said.
The Premier and Mr Welford warned of an international trend for a range of new designer drugs - including BZP, TFMPP and 2C-I - to be passed off as 'Ecstasy'.
"We know drug dealers have been pushing 'Ecstasy' - a drug that has dangerous effects - as a good time party drug for several years, trying to get young people hooked," Mr Welford said.
"This is their next step - substitute a whole range of cheaper chemical cocktails with even more dangerous effects - under the guise of Ecstasy.
"The risk anyone takes in using Ecstasy could now be even greater because the tablets being pushed might be one of these other concoctions.
"Overseas, symptoms reported from these new designer drugs include increased heart rate, blood pressure and high body temperatures, hallucinations, convulsions and breathing difficulties."
Mr Welford said the decision to ban the four drugs was part of the Government's ongoing approach of vigilance against new drugs.
Greg Milne (Attorney's office) 32393478
Fiona Kennedy (Premier's office) 3224 4500
Link here
[ 23 December 2002: Message edited by: Flexistentialist ]

Too bad this had to happen. I think this won't do much, in the sense that the drugs were still underground. Whether they are legal or not, if you know the people, you can get them...
Just like 2c-B. It was never big, but its still around if you look hard enough.
Making things illegal never slowed down or stopped demand either. Look at MDMA/(E) :)
[ 24 December 2002: Message edited by: Leprechaun ]

Call me cynical, but almost exactly this time of year last year, Beattie "pre-empted" another "dangerous new designer drug eden".
I'm wondering if he's trying to pre-empt any party season mishaps, by being seen as "keeping his nose to the ground" with such dangerous new drugs.
BZP/TFMPP are shitty chemicals, but making them illegal will publicise their use even further.
How many people think that all "legal" highs suck?
A lot of people conversely believe that the illegal ones must be the good ones.
Like you said Leprechaun, won't change much for the people who are really into it.
We all know how effective banning a plant is ;)
[ 24 December 2002: Message edited by: Flexistentialist ]

BZP/TFMPP are shitty chemicals, but making them illegal will publicise their use even further.
"Look... BZP, TFMPP, 2C-I and salvia are illegal in QLD now."
"What are they?"
"They're designer drugs."
"Oh... what do they make you feel like?"
"I dunno... never tried them."
"Hmm, well they're illegal now, they must be pretty good, coke and ecstacy are illegal. Let's see if we can get some."
"OK."
BigTrancer :)