Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Aus. Goverment to get pissy at Marijuana

DrShrink

Bluelighter
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/11/25/1038173680713.html
Our goverments never been able to deal with a way to fix Aboriginal health and especially deal with the high Suicide rates. It seems though they have now found someone to blame : Marijuana.
Yet silly us thinking the aborigines were killing themselves in record numbers compared to the rest of the country because of their pathetic conditions. Nope its all because of the Marijuana they are smoking.
Damn that weed
:p
^(your all bright enough to notice the sarcasm above right ?)
Looks an ugly time for Marijuana smokers. OUr conservative federal goverments ignored it as bes thtey could right now, but with a few marijuana leads to depression type studies they now think they can blame all of societys ills on this one drug. Hide your pot its getting ugly outside...
------------------------------------
Marijuana-related suicide an epidemic, says MP
November 25 2002
Marijuana-related suicide had reached epidemic proportions in Aboriginal communities in the Northern Territory, the NT government's most senior indigenous MP said today.
Community Development Minister John Ah Kit said his government had to reduce marijuana abuse, which had increased markedly in black communities in recent years.
In one community of 650, there were 30 suicide attempts last year related to marijuana smoking, Mr Ah Kit said,
During a one-month period, three of the attempts succeeded.
"Marijuana is sweeping across our communities in major proportions and it is a real concern," Mr Ah Kit told ABC radio.
advertisement
advertisement
"People are buying this marijuana and when they have an opportunity, mix it up with alcohol.
"There's some sort of fusion; people become paranoid and people are committing suicide.
"We need to start to turn it around; we can't continue to allow this suicide stuff happen in epidemic proportions."
Police Minister Paul Henderson would be making a cabinet submission on the marijuana problem soon, Mr Ah Kit said.
A parliamentary select committee on substance abuse would make its recommendations early next year.
Marijuana is rarely cultivated around Aboriginal communities.
Mr Ah Kit said the supply and distribution was organised and involved both indigenous and non-indigenous people.
ATSIC northern zone commissioner Kim Hill said communities had to take responsibility by not protecting dealers.
"We can throw millions of dollars into programs; however if the people in the communities don't take responsibility and dob these people in, we're just going to waste a lot of money and waste an lot of time," Mr Hill said.
------------------------------------------

This is such a load of shit.
I've been to a few aboriginal missions and i have never once seen/smelt a indigenous person smoking pot.
ALCOHOL IS THE POISON OF SOCIETY, and poison of the abo's
I wish i was a politician so then i could say
"this government is in shambles due to abuse of marijuana among top guns in government!"

I must agree and disagree with you DeMenTia02. I know alot of people in communities and also out of them, I work for an aboriginal organisation.
Marijuana is very common in communitys and is easily gotten and concealed. They get caught more often trying to sneak alcohol in to dry communitys than they do pot. Alot of Black fellas do smoke and it does cause hassles out there. I do agree alcohol is the bigger cause of problems but due to the fact they crack down on it so hard it is not as available as pot, pot becomes the larger problem.
Personally I hate alcohol and like pot even less however I leave that as my personal opinion/belief and I believe that if someone likes these that is their choice. It's just a pity everyone can't be the same and accept that it is a personal choice.
Ok now I'm rambling. Cya!

Originally posted by DeMenTia02:
This is such a load of shit.
ALCOHOL IS THE POISON OF SOCIETY, and poison of the abo's
I wish i was a politician so then i could say
"this government is in shambles due to abuse of marijuana among top guns in government!"

Hahahahahaha i'm with you on the polly shit. Fuckin idiots are so self righteous. One of the ministers in government said the only thing she ever accomplished in years of being a polly was knitting 7 garments in the chair!
Alchol and cigarettes kill more ppl. But we all know why they are legal dont we...

im up for strapping myself to a pole outside camberra with a sign on me saying 'alcohol is teh devul, free teh dolphins!'
so full of it if they recon its all because of marijuana, so majorly alcohol/metho/petrol/paints fault

Maybe it's just a part of the hedonistic human nature to want to get fucked up, regardless of the substance of choice. Or, more than that, it's all about releasing the endorphins and making yourself feel A-1 isn't it?
Whether it's so-called 'hard drugs', marijuana, alcohol, driving fast, promiscuous sex, exercise, obsessive use of the internet... all these things are endeavours that people pursue to feel good or get satisfaction, and these activities sometimes have damaging effects on their social lives and financial situations when taken too far.
It's the human-factor that introduces the fallibility into the equation, IMHO, not the substance/activity.
BigTrancer :)

BigTrancer:
It's the human-factor that introduces the fallibility into the equation, IMHO, not the substance/activity.
I don't think they are mutually exclusive. Given what you said ealier in your post about human nature, maybe the govt should provide a better way to get fucked up. If pot makes an already borderline person feel depressed (as it did with me) then we should find something that makes them feel good.
Chemical (and other) stimulation is here to stay so if one isn't working quite right, it's time for a change.
[ 27 November 2002: Message edited by: SeveredPsyche ]

If pot makes an already borderline person feel depressed (as it did with me) then we should find something that makes them feel good.
Isn't the fact that you were borderline depressed part of your 'human' contribution to the equation?
The problem with finding a 'safe' government approved substitute for the 'damaging' illegal drugs is that SOME people will still chase the high to the exclusion of the other parts of their life that they have deprioritised relative to feeling good.
So how do you stop people from being self-destructively compulsive in getting their endorphins? Ever see someone stop with half a box of full nitrous bulbs and say "I might leave them for later"? Maybe, but not often...
BigTrancer :)

I agree that the human element is the primary part of such abuse, independent of the type of abuse as Big Trancer mentioned.
I believe it is more about giving a human the dignity and respect they deserve in order that they have a place in society. So what if they go hard on the weekend, if atleast they feel the obligation to give back to society then there is good done.
It is more importantly the issue of showing people that you cannot always just take and have, but you must return things, give to others and sow your seeds, for how else can we reap the rewards. When it comes to drugs, it is the danger and risk involved, perhaps subconciously, that contributes to the rewards of the actual experience. In many cases novelty also adds to the rewarding aspect of the experience. This is part of the pleasure seeking experience. Whether it be drugs, sexs, etc... This is an addiction, a habituation and also an experession of self-pleasuring.
When a person feels no reason to live, or they just don't give a fuck anymore, well thats the self-destructive road, which I believe to be quite different from the selfpleasure of hedonism.

Isn't the fact that you were borderline depressed part of your 'human' contribution to the equation?
Agreed, that's why I said they aren't mutually exclusive. The combination (drug + person) can make you feel really good or very bad.
Ever see someone stop with half a box of full nitrous bulbs and say "I might leave them for later"? Maybe, but not often...
Once. In 12 years.
Okay, I see what you're saying. If they're depressed anyway then they will contintue to be so. Maybe the person themselves could try to find something else, but that doesn't solve the cause of their depression. Anti-depressants probably won't help because in this case it is environmental.
So, if the government can't/won't fix their environment they find something else to blame. Wonderful.

From the BMJ web site (emphasis added):
Frequent cannabis use affects mental health of young people
Depression and anxiety increase with greater frequency of cannabis use in young people, especially women. Patton and colleagues (p 1195) followed a cohort of 1600 Australian adolescents for seven years and show that, especially in girls, smoking cannabis weekly or more often significantly increased later risks. This persisted after adjustment for concurrent use of alcohol, tobacco, and other illicit substances, as well as family disadvantage. In contrast, depression in teenagers did not predict higher cannabis use. The study supports the link between frequent cannabis use and mental health problems and points to a need for strategies to reduce frequent recreational use in young people.
As I understand the above, already depressed teenagers are no more likely to smoke pot than "normal" people, however frequent cannabis users are more likely to be depressed. Without discounting the person themselves, this seems to indicate the substance itself is a major factor in depression.
[ Edit: Full text of the paper ]
[ 05 December 2002: Message edited by: SeveredPsyche ]

this seems to indicate the substance itself is a major factor in depression
The issue with the aboriginal communities is that they are "self medicating" themselves with pot when they are already depressed and have lost hope.
This self medicating leads them on a downwards path, and to suicide so they believe.
Is marijuana bad? Well yes I guess it can be in certain people.
But so is sniffing petrol and other substances.
Many things can be bad.
Would the people who suicided/attempted to suicide not have done so without pot in the equation?
I doubt it.

^^^ That is true
Always need a scapegoat and in this case pot is an easy target. Drinking and sniffin petrol and paint are also easy targets but are not as common in dry communitys.