Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Questions About 5HTP

Johnneh

Bluelighter
Is 900 mgs of 5HTP to much to take over 3 days ?
An example would be.
I would go out on Friday night and take 2-3 pills, come home Saturday morning, take 300mg's of 5HTP then sleep, take another 300mg's on Saturday night, and another 300mg's on Sunday night. I must say this makes me feel so much better and i don't get anymore Monday / Tuesday comedowns, although what my question, is this doing damage to me ? or is it helping me ?
Also iam running out of 5HTP and would like to know where you would recommend i could get some more. I got these ones from www.clubnatural.com. But if thers a more local one to me that would be better. Iam located in Sydney.
Cheers

Well, there is very little done in the way of clinical trials about the dosing of 5-HTP, but there is one clinical trial where people were taking 900mg a day (at 3x300mg doses) for depression.
My opinion is as long as you're not taking that much 5-HTP all the time, it'll be fine.

In my opinion, taking this amount post-load is probably OK, although I would tend to try reducing the amounts until you find a minimum which works as well.
I have seen bad results from consuming too much 5HTP as a preload to MDMA, but as your serotonin levels are down after MDMA, there is likely to be less risk of SS (serotonin syndrome).
As I've said many times, I beleive L-tryptophan to be as effective as 5HTP, and it carries less risk of SS.
You get roughly 4 grams of tryptophan from a litre of milk.

Are you seriously saying that drinking 1/4 of a litre of milk is as effective a post-load as 5 of those tryptophan caps that my friend has been paying AU$40 + p&h for, per bottle?
Hello milk! ;)

^^
I'd say that the milk would be better, just because most vitamins or amino acids are absorbed better when they're in their "natural" form.

So why on earth do people bother with importing expensive 5htp caps, if they could just guzzle a nice glass of milk after a big night out?

Originally posted by Sniff:
So why on earth do people bother with importing expensive 5htp caps, if they could just guzzle a nice glass of milk after a big night out?
because 5htp is one step further along the line of tryptophan-->5hyroxytryptophan-->5hyroxy something
at least i think... ?
[ 25 November 2002: Message edited by: cactusgenie ]

5-HTP works a hell of a lot quicker, and tryptophan can also get converted into other chemicals other than serotonin depending on your bodies chemical makeup at the time, thus making (sometimes) less effective.

Actually, there is more tryptophan in a liter of milk, probably around 8 grams. The figure of 4 came from my blurred memory on the extraction FAQ where 4 grams was isolated from 1L of non homogenized milk.
tryptophan and tryptamine FAQ
"Natures Own" brand L-tryptophan (requires script to obtain) is sold in 500mg tablets. I take approximately 4-5 grams preload and another 3-4g post-load. This is spread across several days.
If I'm out of L-tryptophan I will go the milk seriously for a day or so before rolling, and certainly the day after, usually in banana smoothies.
IMO I have found tryptophan to be as effective as 5HTP for reducing post E burnout, although I've found 150mg of 5HTP does potentiate the effects of MDMA more than 1500-2000mg of tryptophan. This is purely subjective and may not be the same for everyone.
Milk is also great because as Jester mentioned there are a host of accompanying nutrients and vitamins which can help absorption and transportation of the tryptophan. There also seems to be a quick conversion of excess brain serotonin into melatonin, indicating fast assimilation. This is undoubtedly why milk is often taken before bed to ensure a good night's sleep.
So if the same naturally sourced L-tryptophan now used in supplements is also so abundant in the foods we eat, then why is it currently classified prescription only?
Perhaps part of the reason lies in the fact that L-tryptophan can so easily be converted to tryptamine, the starting molecule for many active compounds. It can also theoretically be converted to other active compounds in the body if taken in combination with other amino acids and a MAOI (monoamine oxidase inhibitor).
Around the time L-tryptophan was withdrawn from sale worldwide due to connection with EMS (a rare blood disorder), people were also experimenting with L-tryptophan + L-methionine + MAOI. Whether or not this works I don't know, but theoretically this combo would produce DMT in-vivo.

Originally posted by Sniff:
I for one cannot stomach milk even on a good day, let alone after a big night out. 5-htp is much easier to swallow, and has less gastrointestinal side effects for me than a glass of milk... :)

I see that Milk has been mentioned a bit and thought I'd add my two cents......
Because Milk is pasteurised (Heat treated) the protein component has been deranged and turns slightly toxic. Raw Milk is preferable, but unless you live in the country it is illegal to sell or buy (Pasteurisation has been legislated for a while now).
Heating also changes a lot of the minerals from an organic context to an inorganic one. We can't utilise inorganic minerals into the basal cell structure, only organic ones.
A study done by a chap called Pottegener (SP?) showed that cats feed "Pasturised milk" displayed abnormal agression, had difficult births, had deformed offspring and had rendered a majority of the 3rd generation of cats as sterile.
->Cows milk is for calves.
->Humans are the only animal that drinks the milk of another species.
->Humans are the only species that drinks milk after they are weaned.
Don't believe me ? Do a google search on "Milk and Poison"
I say this only to expand your thoughts on a product that we all consumer in one way or another so you are a little bit more informed.
H-HTP for me.....

On another note...
I know Ive brought this up a million times before, but.......the dreams from 5-htp should be reason enough to invest in at least one bottle of 5-htp.
I had my last 2 5-htp caps last nite (damn..gotta buy some more) which ended up being about 300mg all day - had a big wkend and wasnt in the best place yesterday - anyway....the dreams I was having last nite were fucking craziest most intense dreams ever. Woke up sweating thinking I had been asleep for at least 6 hrs and it wasnt even 2am!
Anyway, I reckon its worth trying 5-htp for the cool dreams anyway. Ohh and it also works. U nite feel a little exhausted in the morning but u lose that post-pilling depression.

Yes.. i agree you always have the most cracked and fun dreams after having 5htp.
I thinking of cutting down t0 200 mg's each night for 3 nights after rolling. Does anyone do this ?? is it enough ?? i have also read somewhere that 200mg - 400 mg's is required ??

Also does 5htp only work while you sleep
Or can you take it during the day while your awake for it to work ?

^^^
I'm thinking that because the thing the body needs to do to turn 5-HTP into 5-HT (serotonin) is quite quick, you can pretty much take it whenever and still get the benefits. 100mg is a good dose, and pretty much all of it gets converted into serotonin.
Some of the problems with taking it during the day is getting a slight stomach upset or getting drowsy, two symptoms I've had. But I guess it's better to put up with those two minor effects than feel like utter shite all day.
[ 26 November 2002: Message edited by: Fetish Jester ]

BongoBongo, while I am in agreement that pasteurizing milk does alter proteins and indeed is likely to produce some slightly toxic components, I would not be so quick to dismiss the health benefits from drinking milk. As I have aged, I’ve become slightly lactose-intolerant, but find milk to be a good source of nutrients etc. while acting as a slight purgative. I don’t drink it everyday, rather ~ 500mls or so 2 or 3x a week, unless out of tryptophan when rolling.
I grew up on pasteurized milk from Jersey cows. It was not homogenized and I believe it retained much of the goodness, especially when first coming to Australia and comparing the local product. Where I now live, we have Jersey milk available from a local company. Demand often exceeds supply, possibly because of the claims that some previously lactose-intolerant people seem to tolerate this product.
From senate minutes of the rural and regional affairs committee, discussing Cooloola Jersey cow’s milk
The crucial point is that milks aren’t milks. The material we have submitted today shows a marked difference in milk between breeds. Jersey milk, for instance, is not only creamier, which is the extra butterfat, but, even marketed as a low-fat milk, it has approximately 20 per cent more protein, minerals and vitamins than the far more common Holstein and Friesian milk. The food testing laboratory in Brisbane has confirmed that added calcium in milk is not absorbed by the human body and may in fact be responsible for the rise in the incidence of kidney stones. Jersey milk has 22.53 per cent more natural calcium.
web page
Much has also been written regarding stock feed, and it makes sense that milk from cows farmed in more temperate climates with sufficient quality feed, should produce better milk. In this regard, I would say that southern milk is probably way better than Qld milk.
There are interesting alternatives to conventional pasteurization being investigated. One promising approach is cold pasteurization using pulsed UV lasers.
RESEARCH NOTE: USE OF PULSED ULTRAVIOLET LASER LIGHT FOR THE COLD
PASTEURIZATION OF BOVINE MILK
September, 2002
Journal of Food Protection: Vol. 65, No. 9, pp. 14801482.
WAYNE L. SMITH,a MANUEL C. LAGUNAS-SOLAR,b and JAMES S. CULLORa
aDairy Food Safety Laboratory, School of Veterinary Medicine, Veterinary
Medicine and Teaching Research Center,
University of California, Davis, California 95616, USA
bCrocker Nuclear Laboratory, University of California, Davis, California
95616, USA
http://www.foodprotection.org/QuickLinks.htm
ABSTRACT
Because of concerns that some potentially dangerous microorganisms may
survive conventional heat pasteurization of milk and because the heat needed
to sterilize milk affects marketability, the ability to efficiently cold
pasteurize milk may become more desirable. In this pilot study, we
investigated the use of pulsed ultraviolet (PUV) laser light to nonthermally
(cold) pasteurize bovine milk.
Dairy bulk tank milk was treated with UV light (248 nm) emitted from a
pulsed excimer laser. The samples were then analyzed for surviving bacteria
by spiral plate counting and subculturing in Trypticase soy broth. Other
bulk tank milk samples were inoculated with one of eight relevant milk
bacterial species before being exposed to laser light. There was no growth
observed for any of the plated or subcultured samples exposed to 25 J/cm2.
One bacterial isolate was then used to inoculate milk to further investigate
bactericidal laser light doses. Growth was observed for samples treated with
an average of 0.3 to 6.6 J/cm2 but not for those treated with 12.6 J/cm2.
The results indicate that in principle, the bacterial content of milk can be
adequately controlled by exposure to PUV laser light.
web page
Value of the bio-availability and content of calcium in milk needs to be appreciated. I never had a broken bone as a kid, although my leg was once bent sideways like a bow in a car accident. Bro and I each drank anything up to 4 liters of milk a day. In fact the only broken bone I ever got was from using a knife hand to break a stack of tiles while Kung Fu training. It wasn’t the tiles that did the damage; it was my failure to pull up before hitting and cracking the wooden floor! I was 26 then. My little finger hamate bone healed quickly, and I was training again full contact inside a month.
In contrast I’ve also seen many vegan and vegetarian children raised without dairy products. The common observation is weak bones and teeth, and I have yet to see an exception to this.
If you don’t display health problems from milk, I would suggest drinking it while you are young. If you don’t and you find later in life that calcium absorption is poor, then the best and easiest form of calcium may not be available to you. You simply may not have the enzymes to assimilate the mineral. Something that also should be remembered is that actions of many recreational drugs result in cells utilizing more calcium.
In regards to cats; I seem to remember reading that cats lack some lactases required for metabolism, so it’s hardly surprising cow’s milk is not very good for them. We generally don’t give our cats milk, except on occasion as a medicine.
Getting back to tryptophan; current methods of pasteurizing using heat would not destroy much if any tryptophan, with any probable product being a small amount of tryptamine, itself an active LSD like compound, although orders of magnitude less in potency.

I agree with pinkanga and Johnneh, the dreams are incredable. Even on breaks from MDMA I take 100mg 1 or 2 nights a week, its the most fun. The craziest dreams are when you dream your awake doin shit and you wake up! My concept of time feels so much longer coz its like im awake doin shit 24/7, weird cool crazy shit. If you were a writer this could provide some wicked inspiration.
Also, i found the dreams can only occur at most twice (sometimes 3 times) a week, any consecutive period and the dreams diminish, anyone else experience this?

no Ive sort of experienced the opposite. I never actually take a capsule every night because they would get us3ed up too quickly. But when I dont have one and had one the night before I still have the dreams.
Im keen to try having one every night to see if the drsams persist...

I also have to agree on the dreams things.. before i got some 5-htp i'd probably had 4 lucid dreams that stand out in my memory... now :) there pretty much all sooo real (still have the crystal clear image of my cracked tooth from a dream a couple of days ago!)
the post loading thing, i'm finding this works an absolute treat for me:
up to 5x75mg the day after the night out spaced out evenly over the day, and then 3x75mg spaced over the following day, and maybe 1 or 2 the day after that. Of course i'm getting some real food, and some sleep too...
Tried preloading the other weekend.. knocked me for six... way too much. im going to just use it for postloading now.
|mal|functions