• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

The FDA sucks

asecin

Bluelighter
this is one small article out of the many out there right now that i decided to share as intro:
http://money.cnn.com/2011/04/07/news/economy/fda_shutdown_impact/?section=money_latest

what do you think ? usa getting pwnd when it comes to food and drugs ? i mean, that has been going on forever anyway.
check out stats as it is; huge fucking nation with only consists of nine centers and offices and employs 13,000 workers and its expected to go lower LOL

enjoy your food being inspected more and more soon and supplements drugs being 100% safe...
:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
the fda exists purely to promote corporate interests. most of these interests are quite detrimental to the population at large.

http://www.naturalnews.com/031992_radioactive_cesium.html

most of the corrupt bureaucracies in the us govt persist with their agenda because few people could be bothered to pay attention. the usda is by no means any less corrupt than the fda.

Following the FDA is like having someone spoon feed you. Your decisions are based on the, as rm-rf mentions, corrupt system of corporation power. I'll have more to say on this later.

I'd like to hear some of your guy's opinions about why the "FDA sucks" because I'm not really clear why you guys think that.

The FDA provides crucial monitoring for food and drugs in the US. To just qualify a statement with, "Yeah the FDA sucks." Oh and here's an article from a seriously biased news source! Rock on! Seriously. Why do you guys think that the FDA sucks? Back up your opinions please.

are you serious?

"drug culture" moderator lol

do you also think drugs rrrr bayud, mmmkay? pot destroys brain cells and makes women have sex with wolverines! why would you buy into one half of the system's lies and believe the other to be pure? or would you rather just deceive yourself?

the FDA is run by former members (as in CEOs, major investors, top corporate officials, lobbyists, etc) of the chemical industry, the pharmaceutical industry, the biotechnology industry, and the big agricultural industry. they "monitor food and drugs" as is needed to produce a 300+ million member sheep herd alive and working obediently.

its sort of like, ya know, a guy buying his way into a presidency that has more stake in big oil than can be imagined, who goes and starts a war in the 2nd most oil rich country in the world - FOR YOUR SAFETY!

http://tinyurl.com/42dmx72

one word, "Rumsfeld" (oh man i think i even made a sour face while typing that)

Without the FDA, the pharmacutical industry would have no oversight, alot of people here already bitch about the "evil" pharm industry, well it would look alot like the super fucked up RC market that is going on right now, if it wasn't for the FDA. It should be stronger and more transparent if anything.

Hey Wood, don't be such a dick dude. I'm asking for your opinions on the matter not a personal attack. Are you saying that the FDA and all of its activities should be ceased immediately?

Hey Wood, don't be such a dick dude. I'm asking for your opinions on the matter not a personal attack. Are you saying that the FDA and all of its activities should be ceased immediately?

The FDA keeps adjusting its "standards" so they fit the average American diet. The average American diet is *not* anywhere near healthy. Therefore, the FDA's changing perspective can only be due to an increase in the amount of junk food we eat; therefore giving corporations more money to hire attorneys; therefore giving the corporations that serve us junk food more power to lobby the "health benefits" of their foods until the FDA changes their standards.

If you want that truth, follow the money trail. If you want to be part of that truth, follow the money trail. I don't believe personally that the FDA should be ceased immediately. Its initial reason for existing is noble. However, the skewed perception of reality in the "health" department is changing the way we think about what we eat and not positively.

I think this clears up my opinion on things. Let me know if you have any other questions.

the FDA is run by former members (as in CEOs, major investors, top corporate officials, lobbyists, etc) of the chemical industry, the pharmaceutical industry, the biotechnology industry, and the big agricultural industry. they "monitor food and drugs" as is needed to produce a 300+ million member sheep herd alive and working obediently.

It's okay. Turn off "Counting Bodies Like Sheep to the Rhythm of the War Drums". It'll all be okay.

There has to be a middle ground though. If you want to go back a hundred years ago or so to the days of "Oopsies, I have a cough, time to pick up a box of Dr. Brown's Arsenic Wafers, good for everything from cancer to rheumatism, 20 out of 10 doctors recommend it!" that's fine. I feel like there needs to be some oversight.

We talk about what would happen if drugs were legal...well, the government regulates it, right? Quality control. It's all fine if we're talking about relatively non-toxic herbal remedies, but you realize that they used to put benzene in aftershave at one point? It would be a lot like the RC market. How could you trust anything you buy off the shelf? Again, can there be a middle ground between uber-corporate controlled FDA and complete market anarchy?

So you're basically saying the problem with the FDA is the same problem with every other bureau? The revolving door from CEO of the big interests to government regulator, back to a high level private sector job, back to a high level public sector job etc.?
I'll buy that, but they do lots of recalls every year. How does that benefit any of the corporate interests?
I agree that all the consumer protection measures the United States has set up are woefully subpar, but they are still better than many other countries.
Which nation would you say has the best measures in place?

This really only matters if you ONLY consume "FDA approved" products. If the statement "this is not FDA approved" keeps you from buying lots of perfectly good products you're an idiot anyway.

I think a few people here may be confusing the USDA and the FDA--They both are involved with our food in the U.S., but the USDA is the one who deals with what the public should eat via the food guide pyramid my pyramid. The FDA doesn't tell the public what they should or shouldn't eat, only what they deemed "safe."

^ Letters honestly don't matter much in the long scheme of things.

Our opinions all seem to butt heads, in a way. The original opinion of the FDA/USDA "sucking" is in place for the moderate lack of effort put forth by the government to "protect" us. I think, now that I'm reevaluating my own opinions, that we choose what to eat every meal in the end. Whether or not something is deemed healthy or if there is a lobby to push the health benefits of a new food item, we all know what we should be eating. We know what makes our tummies feel good (lol, tummies) and we know why the f*ck we're sick all the time.

what pisses me off about this whole thing is, instead of us here on health forum discussing such important things as FDA and other food regulations and corporations influencing our food supply, its just amateur teens coming here making silly threads like "favorite fruit" or "omg healthy food list pleaasseee" type of crap. Obviously too immature to concentrate on source of all problems, not merely products of it.
Cuz lemme tell you kids, either mcdonalds or your favorite 'cure -it -all' (sarcasm btw) vegetable at your store, they both can be detrimental to your health when you are not capable of focusing on source. procedure, ways it comes to you and trying to either fix or avoid em all together ;)

Yeah, trying to find out what foods are healthy is immature, kiddy-shit. We should all be focusing on how unhealthy we are, how bad we've got it, and how fucked up out food sources are-- that'll certainly help improve our health.