Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Pma question

madmick19

Bluelight Crew
ive been through and searched the archives everywhere, as much as i possibly could so its not about being lazy...
ive read somewhere that PMA stops you from sweating, im not sure where except that it was hear on bl..
can anyone else remember reading it here, or verify the statement..???
thanx....

PMA increases the body temperature up to 108 degrees and the body is unable to cool itself down.
"When the blood temperature gets that high it starts to literally boil your brain," said Douglas Smith, associate professor in psychology. "It inhibits sweating, which is the body's way of cooling itself, and these kids are going out and dancing their brains out, getting hot and not drinking water. from - http://www.dailyegyptian.com/fall00/12-08-00/xtc.html - note that the author of the article seems fairly baised, however the quoted is aparently a professor...
I'll stand to correction here, but personally I think it's codshit as no where else have I read anything about PMA inhibiting sweating, and I've just done an extensive search. The fact that DXM inhibts sweating is well documented as a dangerous aspect of the drug, however there is nothing other than the above which I can find about PMA inhibiting sweating.
The risk in PMA lies in increased blood pressure, temperature, body temperature & pulse rate... Also muscle spasms, convulsions and difficulty breathing.
:)

From a non-public database, I found this abstract
Author/Editor/Inventor
Daws Lynette C [a]. Irvine Rodney J. Callaghan Paul D. Toop Natasha P. White Jason M. Bochner Felix.
Institution
[a] Department of Pharmacology, University of Texas Health Science Center at
San Antonio, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, TX, 78229-3900 USA.
Title
Differential behavioural and neurochemical effects of
para-methoxyamphetamine and
3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine in the rat.
Source
Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology & Biological Psychiatry. [ print]
24(6). August, 2000. 955-977.
Abstract
1. This study was prompted by recent deaths that have occurred after recreational administration of the substituted amphetamine para-methoxyamphetamine (PMA). Because relatively little is known regarding its mechanism(s) of action, its effects on physiological, behavioural and neurochemical parameters were compared with the well known effects of 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA). 2. Equivalent doses of PMA (5-20 mg/kg) produced greater hypothermia than MDMA at an ambient temperature of 20 degreeC.
At 30 degreeC, PMA continued to evoke hypothermia except the highest dose where hyperthermia ensued. MDMA altered body temperature only at the highest dose where hyperthermia also resulted.
3. At both 20 and 30 degreeC, MDMA stimulated locomotor activity whereas PMA had modest effects and then, only at high doses. 4. In vivo chronoamperometry was used to measure the effect of MDMA and PMA on release, and inhibition of uptake, of serotonin (5-HT) and dopamine (DA) in the dorsal striatum of anaesthetised rats. As expected, MDMA evoked release of DA and inhibited uptake of both DA and 5-HT. By contrast, PMA was a relatively weak releasing agent and did not inhibit DA uptake. However, PMA potently inhibited uptake of 5-HT. 5. Taken together these data suggest that the acute adverse effects of PMA are more likely to be associated with alterations in serotonergic rather than dopaminergic neurotransmission.

From a much older paper Comparison of Cardiovascular, Hyperthermic, and Toxic Effects of PMA and MDA:
It can be seen that PMA had a slight hyperthermic response initially, which gradually diminished and deveoped into hypothermia of about 2 degrees C after 4 - 6 hours.(page 6)
Interesting to note though that this Australian paper, Poisoning with the recreational drug paramethoxyamphetamine (PMA) found hyperthermia in 36% of patients presenting to hospital for treatment of PMA poisoning. It goes on to say
The other 11 patients with PMA poisoning had life-threatening toxicity with coma, generalised seizures, severe hyperthermia (temperature, > 40ºC) or hypothermia (temperature, < 34.5ºC)....
While higher doses of PMA are more likely to cause hyperthermia, I wonder if combining PMA with MD** drugs also increases the risk of hyperthermia?